*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691889-Soldiers-Of-The-Wasteland
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jordi
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1691889
Heading out to battle with your friends helping.
         Dante pulled the leather ties together and secured the small sack of food to the front of his saddle. The black stallion snorted as he felt the sack slap against his shoulder as Dante finished tying the ties. Soothing him with a gentle tap across his withers, Dante checked that the other sacks were tied securely and balanced evenly on each side of the horse. They had a long journey ahead of them and the last thing he wanted was for the stallion to pull up lame because of an uneven load.

         “I hope you weren’t thinking of leaving without saying goodbye?” The voice came from the entrance to the courtyard, a slightly amused tone enhancing the faint accent.

         Dante turned and looked at the tall, muscular man standing in the gateway. Strong, muscular arms were crossed over a broad chest in a deceptively relaxed stance. Dante knew that there was nothing relaxed about the stranger. He was as much a warrior as Dante was with a skill to match his own.

         “I thought you’d be consoling Stella now that I’m leaving,” he retorted knowing that Stella would soon be looking for someone new to share her chamber with once he’d left.

         “She’s not my type. Besides, I’d heard that you were heading off into the mother of all battles on your own other that Santos and the Elders. Odds like that interest me.”

         “It’s not your fight, Jaden.” Dante turned back to the stallion and gathered up the reins so that he could lead him out of the courtyard.

         “No?” Jaden walked effortlessly across the courtyard and stood in front of Dante. “I heard that the winner of this battle could decide the future of our world. Light or dark, good magic or bad magic. I figure that something that could affect my future is something that I should be involved in.”

         “This isn’t like the other fights we’ve been in before. Powerful forces of magic will be fighting alongside our sword arms and against us.” Dante looked at the younger man, wanting him to turn around and return to the castle, to leave him to make this journey alone. This was going to be the biggest and hardest battle he had ever fought and he did not want to endanger the lives of those who did not need to be involved.

         “Which is why you need my help and the help of the others here,” Jaden replied, indicating with his head the crowd of men that stood outside the courtyard, their horses saddled and ready for the journey ahead.

         “It’s not your fight,” Dante insisted, feeling something inside him stir at the sight of the men waiting for him. All his life he had fought his battles alone, even when fighting with the help of the others he had been alone. He had never asked for help, never expected it to be offered. His skill and his powers made him different to the others who fought with him, creating a distance that he never attempted not encouraged others to breach.

         “I remember a long time ago, not long after I first arrived here, someone telling me that if I was going to stay and join the soldiers that were based here that I would have to learn that any fight is my fight. That we fight as a team, a unit, standing against those who threaten the freedom of those unable to fight for themselves.” Jaden stared hard at Dante, looking him fully in the eyes, seeing the anguish and the torment that swirled in their deep blue depths. “Vaden may be your uncle but he threatens the freedom of all those who come into contact with his tyranny. That makes it our fight and we fight together, as a unit.”

         “I know that but I can’t ask you to risk your lives in this fight. Vaden is a powerful sorcerer who kills without a second thought. It is too much to ask.” Dante had trained many of the men who stood waiting for him. He knew that they would give up their lives for him if they felt it was necessary. It was a question that Dante could not ask of them.

         “Ask it,” Jaden demanded. “Ask it and give them the choice. If you don’t we’ll follow you anyway and probably all get killed without your glorious leadership.” A grin tugged at the corners of his sensuous mouth as he watched Dante battle with himself.

         Dante shook his head and walked out of the courtyard to stand in front of the waiting men. He took a deep breath as he looked over them, his eyes lingering on each man as they waited for him. If they came with him then he would be sending most of them to their death. If he told them to stay and they followed him they would be heading towards their death without really knowing or understanding what they were fighting against.

         “I know that you want to come with me to fight my uncle and I am honoured that you all feel this way. However, the man that I am going up against holds a power far stronger than anything we have ever encountered before. Vaden has studied both black and white magic and has great armies at his disposal. You have not encountered anyone like him before. If you do join with me to fight Vaden then it is highly likely then many of you may not return.” Dante stood before them, watching as his words sunk in, waiting to hear their decision.

         “Each time we have gone into battle, you have told us that we may not return. It is something that we know and accept as a part of our way of life. We know that we won’t all return from this fight but we will do what we have to do to help you defeat Vaden.” The young warrior who spoke was one of the more experienced warriors. He was often a spokesman for the group. Trusted and respected, Dante knew that he spoke for all of the warriors.

         “Are you all agreed on this, Corbin?” Dante asked already knowing what the young man’s answer would be.

         “We are.”

         He shook his head, knowing that he was beaten this time. “Well, get your things together and we’ll head out as soon as your ready.”

         Jaden grinned. “Let’s go and kick some ass,” he said, indicating the packed wagons and saddled horses that stood just beyond the waiting men.

         Grinning ruefully at his friend, Dante turned and mounted his black stallion. Ahead was the greatest battle against his uncle that he had ever fought in. This time he would not be fighting alone. He had others to stand alongside him, shoulder to shoulder, fighting for the freedom that he had fought for for so long.

         With a nod to the others he gigged the stallion into a trot and together they rode to face the unknown future.
© Copyright 2010 Jordi (jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691889-Soldiers-Of-The-Wasteland