*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1692417-What-if-there-were-Mood-Walls
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1692417
What if the color of walls could broadcast your mood?
Wouldn’t it be great if the walls in your house could alert people of your mood? If someone you felt like throwing off a roof (there is one such person for all of us) shows up and could tell by the color of your wall what you were feeling, what do you think they will do? When I thought about the changing colors, I envisioned this scene:

Two weeks ago, Bobby Mercer had walked into my office, such as it is, with the red file I had just ransacked the damn office for. He was wearing that smirk they made me want to stick his head in a kitchen sink and pour boiling hot soup on him. Oddly enough, most women in the office (brainless twits!!) were attracted to the smile and have been known to do the stupidest things, include losing their jobs, in order to please the fool. Enough about the bastard and more about the file in question.

A month earlier, the manager of the marketing department had issued a challenge to the department: Anyone who could come up with a plan to revive a dead account worth 25 million dollars would be promoted two levels up. This means that I was in line to be assistant manager of the department. It also happened to be World Cup season, so it was a choice between watching world cup matched and doing the project. Everyone  ( and I mean everyone) had taken off to watch the games and I had slaved away to work on the project. I had walked miles and miles in six inch heels under the sweltering heat and busy streets of downtown New York, to talk to marketing executives in other companies, chase down leads and talk to the customer in question.
Feeling secure about the deal, I had spent the last day away from home – shopping, cleaning the house and running errands I had ignored for a month. By the time I got back home, it occurred to me that the file was missing. At 7PM in the night, I braved muggers and all manner of crazy people to retrace my steps. When I hadn’t found it by midnight, I went home and went straight to the office by 5:30AM to search the office. The file contained everything I had done and all the evidence I needed to prove my point. After turning the office upside down and every which way – there he was with a smirk and my file!!!

I could have killed him on the spot! When I asked for the file back (I didn’t care how he got it. I just wanted the file), Mr. Mercer calmly announced that the boss was ill and wouldn’t come into the office that day. Then he walked put the office while I chased after him looking like Frankenstein’s bride after 3 consecutive days of hard drinking. As I passed a cubicle, I figured out how he had gotten my file. There SHE was, my so called best friend, wearing a smile and a Mercesque smirk on her face. I had never been stupid enough to leave anything of importance in my office and the only other person with a key to my house, besides my 87 year old grandmother, was HER. I seriously doubted that my granny would make a trip from Alaska to steal a file she couldn’t do anything with. I came to a full stop and glared at her. All she said was “Come on, Laurie. Take one for the team?”. Everything turned black for a second and I calml turned around took my things and went home.

I was going to get that file from Bobby and teach HER a lesson she would never EVER forget. However, I needed to calm down because there was no way I could get my things if I was behind bars for double murder. I went home with the intent to cool down, but then SHE opened my door and stood there, still smiling.

As I looked at her, it occurred to me that having something, other than me, notify her of how I was feeling would be great. I was afraid to speak out of anger – for fear that it might turn from words to something physical. I wished that the walls would turn, alternating colors of, black and red to let her know how I felt. In that instance, I think a mood wall would have been great.
What do you think?
© Copyright 2010 Writer Always (chizoba at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1692417-What-if-there-were-Mood-Walls