*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1695757-Wars-A-Bitch-Wear-A-Helmet-Chapter-2
Rated: GC · Chapter · War · #1695757
War's a bitch, chapter two.
I awoke inside a stuffy room, the stench of cordite filled the air. I attempted to get up to find my squad, when a searing pain shot through my left leg, I stifled my agonized cry. 'Is anyone there? Sarge? Matt? Anybody?' I shouted out desperately. My leg was throbbing, sending out waves of pain every several seconds. I gritted my teeth to get past the pain. I gingerly lifted my good leg onto the floor, lifting up my injured one, my balance was off, and i abruptly collapsed onto the floor with a hard Thump. My vision started fading away, and just before it completely went into the darkness I saw a figure standing in the doorway, looking at me...

I awoke with a painful sensation throughout my body. My eyes slowly opened, I looked around my surroundings.I had been moved, if not building but by room.My gaze swept around the room. A figure was sitting on a chair, facing out the window. His face was covered by a balaclava, but his head was wrapped in a turban, like many of the insurgents we fought over the past weeks.His lips slowly opened, and uttered ' Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem.' What? Why is this guy quoting latin? Surely no insurgent would be this educated. 'It means It is more cruel to always fear death than to die.' This guy almost read my mind. 'It's my motto.' He smiled.
'W..Who are you?' I cautiously asked.
'You don't need to know that. But by this time you'll have already realised that I am not an insurgent, because i would have killed you when i first saw you slumped on that floor.' The stranger replied.
'W..What happened to my squad?' I stuttered.
'Your squad got ambushed when the mortars started coming in. All of them except one got killed, he killed the guys that killed your squad and he ran to that building over there. He's been quiet for the moment.' The stranger pointed to a 3 story building about 300 meters down the road.
'Well can I go over to him?' I hoarsely replied.
'Go over to him, but do not speak of me. Your base is about 30 clicks west from here. Go. Go now before the sun comes up and the insurgents start searching for you and your friend. I patched up your leg, so as long as you dont put too much weight on it you should be fine. The man replied with a pained look on his face
I'd better not say anything. 'Thanks.' I said. He got up and walked over to me and helped me up. The pain had almost gone completely. I looked down and saw a tourniquet around my knee, half soaked with blood. I guess some shrapnel hit my leg.
The stranger said 'Bye. Just remember, if you find yourself in another jam, call this number.' He handed me a scrap of paper with a phone number written on it. 'Tha...' The man had disappeared. Oh well. I hobbled downstairs, careful to not put too much weight on my leg. I opened the door and limped out into the moonlit night.

I cautiously approached the house where Matt was supposed to be in, but I had just realized that I no longer had my M4. I quickly searched around my body, looking for a weapon of some sorts, to defend myself. Nope, nothing. Not even my knife. Great. I tried to silently creep into the doorway, but immediately almost tripped over a stool thing. I cursed my clumsiness. I heard a noise in the room next to me, like someone hitting the floor. I quickly turned into the room, and said 'Don't shoot! It's me, John!' I noticed that nothing was moving except a body on the floor, breathing in and out. Haha. Matt could always sleep through anything. I looked around for a bucket. Nothing. I went into the kitchen and looked in the cupboards. Bingo. I had found a monumental saucepan, about a half meter in diameter. I brought it out and went to the tap. I turned on the cold water, and miraculously, cold water came out! After i had filled the saucepan, i went back into what i suspected was the living room, and prepared myself to pour it onto Matt.3, 2, 1, Heave! SPLASH! 'Wha? Whasshappinin?!?' He was tossing and turning on the floor, trying to find which way was up. I was laughing so hard i had to sit down. 'Dude...Hahahahaha....It's okay..Hahahahaha, it's just me, John! Hahahahahahaha!!!!'
He calmed down within several minutes, while i was still wiping the tears from my eyes.
© Copyright 2010 JustAGrunt (irishshamrock at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1695757-Wars-A-Bitch-Wear-A-Helmet-Chapter-2