*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696497-Rebirth-of-a-Nations-Voice
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1696497
The Rise and Demise of Modern Folk Music
Is there any soul left in modern music? Are the singers and performers singing about truth and what they believe in, or are they simply mumbling confusing and unimportant lyrics. I listened to some music today, an exclusive variety. But the speaker on my T.V. only allowed the volume to go to three, instead of it's expected 10. So, before I listened to music for to long, I cut it off on myself, not wanting to waste the experience. Because, I like to listen to music. I do not, however, like to listen to a cheap excuse for music, as I'm sure we all do not appreciate. Is there a way to distinguish shitty music from high quality ear-candy? It's a skill you have to perfect on your own. It can not be taught. Some people can keep a beat, and some can't. Does a fat baby burp? We'll probablynever know why. . .

In modern society, I would say there are more or less six popular music genres. If I don't mention your genre, then I'd say, more than likely are tone-deaf and you need to start listening to better music. Rap, Rock, Country, Metal, Alternative, and, the new and improved, Folk are the dominating music styles. . And Between the six of those bastards, which do you think would honestly let you listen to music and words of truth, allowing you to hear actual lyrics and harmony instead of a bunch of noise or talk about pussy, drugs, and money. It's folk music bub. It's always been around, and will never die off. As a matter of fact, folk music is beginning to pave the way and make something of itself. Teenagers are beginning to realize that the truth, and being at one with nature will always prevail. But, friend, it is certainly taking enough time.

The term folk music has been around for ages, in every country. One referring to folk may be talking about Swedish Bagpipe music, or Soviet Accordian music, or Neue Deutsche Welle - the list goes on. And the list, will more than likely, never cease modulating. The main point need noted is that folk is a very abstract word. And terribly vague. Hell, I may be referring to Folk wrestling. But sadly, I am not. The word folk I'm referring to is in accordance to people and bands such as Nick Drake, The Band, Portugal. The Man, Noah and The Whale, Bob Dylan, Mumford and Sons, and many, MANY more, that should be discovered in one's own personal freedom.

The term "folk music" itself did not appear in English dictionaries until 1889, when the Century Dictionary defined it as "A song of the people; a song based on a legendary or historical event, or some incident of common life, the words and generally the music of which have originated among the common people, and are extensively used by them."
Folk music isn't something to brag about or bump your head to at a party. It is music. Plain and simple music. With realistic words and meanings. And the music that folk artists generate, will always make sense, and always be popular. Do you think in sixty years Chingy, or 50 cent, or Eminem even, will still be around. Do you think their music will become critically acclaimed and passed down for the generations of new to enjoy. Not in this lifetime. We do not need weird and absurd heroes, to old and tender to live, still cursing and bragging about how hip they think they are. Rap is a dying breed. It's destined to die off. People will not be able to stand the egotism.
However, there will be one genre, along with many other still in the fast lane, feeding the public ever so dearly. Folk. - Folk. Shout it out on the rooftops, tell the people, it's a very tender subject, and it need not die. And it certainly won't any time soon.

Bob Dylan can single-handedly be considered the man who revived folk music in America in the 1960's. This, "new" style of music allowed teenagers to protest society in a non-violent way. "I Shall Be Released", and "The Times, They are Changing" became sounds of inspiration, heeding a new generation to transform the lyrics and sounds into a new breed of music.

And that is our current place and time. Too many different genres of folk are now on the brink, and every one is worth listening to, in my opinion, and probably yours. Industrial Folk, Acid Folk, Folk/Rock, Indie Folk, hell even Freak Folk, which, in reality, isn't freaky at all. Compared to the likes of the Insane Clown Posse or Twizted, these fellas are church-going saints. The Dodo's are an example of freak folk. They are so simple it could blow your mind. Majority of their songs are 1-2 word tiles; Fools, The Season, Walking.
These words generate imagination and freedom, as it were. They challenge you to think. Some songs by the infamous rap group, The Geto Boys are called, "Bitches and Ho's", "Gun in My Mouth", and "Like Some Ho's". And believe me, these songs are truly, truly "genuine", words "from the heart", of a dirty, dirt "gangsta". I do not know if these people take pride in this music, but I do know I would much rather surround myself with intelligence and pride by listening to "The Wild Hunt", or "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright".

*#%#* - - - *#%#* - - - *#%*


Children and teenagers of America, and the world; hark the herald message you are about to receive. There is nothing wrong with rap music, I enjoy it . But remember, there is a much better style floating around. One day, when you realize your life is meaningless and you are feeling down in the dumps, instead of listening to a man brag about how much money and pussy he gets, listen to a classic track from Bobby D, or The Tallest Man on Earth, and with a chance, it just might brighten your day. Blare your speakers, up to at least a ten. The neighbors will hear, but that doesn't matter. You will be able to live with the lifetime of knowing that you once knew what it was like to hear music.
Yours for the Revolution,
John J. Righteous Hypocrite



...All the News that's fit to sing...

© Copyright 2010 kodyherston (dakotajames at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696497-Rebirth-of-a-Nations-Voice