*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698400-The-puppet-maker
Rated: 13+ · Other · Dark · #1698400
A story that popped into my head while listening to Metallica's Master of Puppets.
The puppet maker sat down in the old wooden chair at his desk. He grabbed the tv remote off of the desk in front of him and flipped on the evening news.
On the TV a pretty young woman was reporting live on the scene.
He turned the volume up to hear what she was saying.
"The man has been standing at the edge of this tall building for a little over an hour now."
she said as the camera panned up to the roof of a building.
"He has been identified as one Jeffrey Tranbold, a lawyer for Swartman and Sech. Police and fire officials have attempted to speak with him, but he has not made any comments back."
The camera zoomed in closer to Jeffrey on the roof.
He was dressed in a striped blue suit. His tie was undone and flapping loose in the wind.
He had a blank expression on his face.

The puppet master smiled as he looked at the man on the TV.
He looked at the puppet that was standing at the edge of his desk.
It was dressed in the same style blue suit as Jeffrey Tranbold. He pushed himself over to where the puppet stood.
He took up the strings in his hand and made the puppet wave.
On the TV Jeffrey waved to the crowd gathering below him.
He lifted a leg and Jeffrey lifted a leg.
The reporter and the crowd gasped as they thought he was coming off the edge of the building.
"This is the first movement we have seen from Mr. Tranbold in the last twenty minutes." The reporter said over the shouts of a policeman through a bullhorn.

The puppet maker laughed. It was all a show. His show.
He made the puppet do a little dance and the crowd at the scene responded.
Cries and shouts rose.
After a few minutes of dancing and jumping around the edge of the desk, the puppet maker put down the strings.
The Jeffrey on TV stopped moving.
"It seems that this may have been some kind of stunt." The pretty young reporter said.

The puppet maker laughed at this.
This was no stunt. This was a show! His show!
And he was going to end it with a glorious finale.

He reached over and gently pushed the puppet off the desk.....
© Copyright 2010 Hermatt (hermatt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698400-The-puppet-maker