*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699346-Jumping-Through-Hoops-pt-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fanfiction · #1699346
Abbey gets a promotion. Family introduction.
I had been in Indiana for a long time. So long, that the concept of moving away had almost permanently left my mind. Things seemed normal, my life was pretty good. I was 25 years old, happier with my body than I'd ever been able to admit, I had been married for 5 years, and I had 2 adorable kids.

I also had a decent job at the Cincinnati Enquirer as an event columnist that kept the bills paid and food on the table. My husband, Travis taught bass lessons at the local music shop so we had plenty of money for thee things we wanted. So why should I have been unsatisfied with life? Allow me to elaborate.

Oktoberfest was a tradition in Cincinnati and for the last three years it had been my job to cover the most exciting events to occur and I was damn good at what I did. I had just turned in this year's article to my editor, when walking away from his office, I heard his phone ring. I wasn't one to eavesdrop but I felt inclined.

A lot of the conversation was in a hush tone I couldn't understand.
"I don't.... California?! I don't know who I'd send. This is very short notice," my boss mumbled into the phone. 'California?!' I thought, 'it's gotta be me!'

At last, I heard him replace the phone on the cradle. I walked into his office.
"So, Tim what did you think of the article?" I asked knowing he hadn't yet touched it.
"I was just about to read it," he said grabbing the manila folder, in which it was enclosed. He began to thumb through it, with a thoughtful look on his face, as I stood there as if before a judge.

"The mayor did what?!" he chortled, continuing to read.
"Yeah, I'd say he had a few too many beers that night," I said with a giggle. He finished reading with a smile, that gave me hope.

"Abbey, I have an offer for you," he began and I felt my heart thumbing,"you can't tell the others or my head would be on a chopping block.
"The editor of the San Francisco Chronicles just called me, they just lost their top celebrity interviewer to pregnancy and they want me to find a replacement and I think that I just did."
"I don't know what to say, they're considered the 5th best newspaper in California!" I replied happily.

"Say you'll think about it, your articles are great, you always have your eye on the prize, you make people laugh, just say you'll think about it, but not for too long, because I need to know in two days," he spoke folding his hands on his desk.

Two days?! How could I say goodbye to everyone, and convince Travis in two days? I'd find a way, I supposed. Finally, it was time to clock out and go home. I grabbed my keys and left in a hurry. The drive home was mostly silent other than the sound of my engine and my unsure thoughts.
I sighed in relief as my childhood home came into view. I parked across the street and walked towards it. As I walked the 40 steps to my house, that I was sure I wouldn't miss, I heard a shriek.
"Mommy's home!!!" my 4 year-old yelled from the porch almost throwing herself over the railing. I gasped.
"Pandora, be careful," I yelled scornfully as I stepped on the porch. She ran over and hugged my legs, nearly causing me to fall backwards down the stairs. Before I could, Travis grabbed my arms.
"Pandora, you're going to be the death of mommy, why don't you give her some space?" he said, patting her hair.
"Okay, daddy, sorry, mommy," she said running into the house, nearly running into the door.
"Ah, our little klutz," Travis laughed, pulling me into his arms,"how was work?"

"Pretty amazing, actually, and you?" I asked burying my face in his chest. He lead me in the house.
"Eh, you know teaching brats, it's never much fun," he told me lounging on the couch.
"Yeah, I guess," I muttered in occupation," what do you want for dinner?"
At that moment, Jacob burst into the room and tackled me.

"Mommy, I want pizza!" He yelled, rolling on my head. Travis plucked him off of me and lifted him into the air. He giggled in a high-pitch tone as Travis began making airplane noises. I smiled adoringly.

"Pizza it is," I laughed going for the kitchen. I preheated the oven and put a cheese pizza in. I then set the table with assistance from Pandora.

Dinner

We were all munching on pizza, Jacob wearing more than he put in his mouth. Pandora ate politely, chewing with her mouth closed. Travis squeezed my hand and said my name.
"Wha?" I replied distractedly.
"Something on your mind, babe?" he asked, his eyes piercing mine.

"Yeah, actually, I got a promotion, sort off," I admitted staring at my empty plate.
"That's great," Travis exclaimed happily.
"But there's a catch," I sighed.
"What's the catch?" he asked his enthusiasm not wavering.
"We have to move..." I stuttered.
"We go bye-bye?" Jacob asked his pale face, red with pizza sauce.
"Where do we have to move to?" Travis asked his face now a bit grim.
"California," I blurted. Travis smiled widely.
"Pretty, pretty,"Jacob yelled, smacking his hands on his high chair table.
"Jacob, settle down!" I yelled clutching my hair.

"Babe, this is awesome news," Travis said clutching my hand," this is your dream, why are you sad?"
"I wasn't sure how you'd take it and it's really short notice," I said feeling the joy I should have felt immediately.
"I'm here for you, babe, and if this is what you want to do, I'll be there for you too," He reminded me.
"So, we're doing this?" I asked hopefully.
"Yeah, let's do it," Travis confirmed with a grin.
California here we come!
© Copyright 2010 A. Wright (abbeyrose92 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699346-Jumping-Through-Hoops-pt-1