*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699348-Jumping-Through-Hoops-pt-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1699348
The family moves.Abbey meets her new boss.
That night, sleep was seemingly impossible, when I couldn't stop my mind from racing a mile a minute. This was possible the biggest leap I'd ever taken in my life. One thought that constantly loomed was, 'what if I'm not good enough?' Travis snored softly for a moment before rolling on to his side.

"Mommy," a small voice cried downstairs. I left my room attempting the stairs without breaking my neck. When I reached the bottom, I saw Pandora sitting on the edge of her bed, cuddling 'Smooches,' the stuffed animal Travis had given me for our one month anniversary.
"What's wrong, Panda?" I asked joining her on her bed.
"I'm scawed," she admitted, crawling into my lap.
"Of what, baby?" I pondered, prepared to do a 'boogie man' check.
"We's movin' faw away, huh?" she asked me as I smoothed her fluffy hair.

"Yeah, I guess we are," I confirmed as she leaned her head on my chest.
"It's gonna be weal diffwent, huh?" she asked with a hint of worry.
"Maybe, but it'll be really pretty," I assured her.
"Is we going to see the ocean?" she asked wonder and sleep in her voice.
"Yeah, mommy's never seen the ocean," I admitted.
"I'm excited now!" she half shouted, "can we play in it?"
I shushed her.
"There will be plenty of time for that I'm sure," I whispered, scooping her up and laying her down. I pulled her frilly blankets up to her chest and kissed her forehead.

"Good night, sweetie," I told her turning for the stairs.
"Mommy," she called after me.
I faced her, "yes?"
"I love you," she whispered before rolling over to face the wall, a trait inherited from me.
"You too, baby," I said softly before going back up the stairs. Man, did I love that kid. My pride and frickin' joy.

The Next Morning

Downstairs, I could hear Jacob raising hell. He must have woken Travis, seeing as how he was no longer at my side. I forced myself out of bed and down the stairs. I found Travis putting Jacob in his play pen. I looked around with shock. Jacob must have gotten up extremely early and made himself a mess. His clothes and Pandora's were thrown on the floor, hung off dressers and tables, cereal was strewn across the floor. Through the kitchen doorway I could see a puddle of milk seeping into the cracks of the hard wood floor.

I growled deeply.
"JACOB! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" I exclaimed in frustration.
"I's twied to dwess mysewf and make bweakfast," he babbled. He was wearing a yellow baby t-shirt that hadn't fit him in a year and a half, his lower-half was only in a diaper badly in need of a change, and on his feet his sister's pink dress shoes, barely hanging on by the strap. I couldn't stifle my untimely laughter. A chuckle forced it's way up my throat and wouldn't stop coming. For a moment I felt insane.

Travis stared at me with worry, perhaps thinking I was insane as well. Finally, with a snort, I was able to stop. The room was quiet for a moment before all chaos resumed. Jacob began speaking gibberish, in a loud, echoed voice.

"I gotta have a cigarette," Travis sighed rubbing his neck, "I've been awake about 20 minutes and I'm already exhausted."
"Go for it, I'll take over here," I told him, bending over and picking up a towel to soak up the milk. He walked past me, before momentarily reversing to kiss me on the cheek. 'What a wonderful start to the day," I thought sarcastically.

A Few Days Later

Hectic. It's the only way the last few days could be described. Between packing and planning, looking for an apartment, I was a bit of a wreck. A moving truck across the country and four plane tickets to California, not to mention the weeks worth of hotel stays I had arranged until an apartment could be found, had set me back quite a pretty penny.

Finally, things had settled down. Travis and I flopped on to our mattress which laid on the floor. Travis had a tired, satisfied look on his face.
"This is really happening," he laughed draping his arm over me. I kissed him sleepily. I couldn't find a cognitive thought in my head. I drifted away.

The Next Morning

"EEP! EEP! EEP!" my alarm screamed. I punched at the button. I sat up and pushed hair out of my face.
"Babe, let's do this," I sighed, rolling out of bed.

We spent a few hours loading the moving truck along with the help of Rhys, a friend of Travis'. The truck had left a few minutes before and we were loading the kids in the car. Travis said good-bye to Rhys with a sad look on his face. They had been best friends for years.

On the Plane

The only seats we could get were pretty far apart, luckily, I managed to get seats next to the kids at least. Somewhere on the plane there was a screaming baby and I prayed it wasn't Jacob. Pandora clutched to my arm tightly. It was her first ride on a plane.
"Relax, Panda, it's going to be okay," I soothed as we rode through some turbulence.

Finally, we began to land. Pandora looked a bit green and I feared that she would hurl. For the last three hours she complained of how her ears hurt. Mine hurt pretty bad, as well.

Later At the Hotel

We were all extremely jet-lagged. Pandora had been sleeping since we got in the cab, Jacob was crying, I assumed it was because his ears hadn't popped yet. Travis flopped down on the bed and seemed to instantly lose consciousness. I laid Jacob in his his portable playpen, where he cooed quietly as jet-lag hit him. I laid down beside Travis, I was exhausted. I think I'd earned some sleep.

The Next Day

The San Francisco Chronicle Office

I sat in the office's waiting room nervously. My palms were soaked with sweat. I twiddled my thumbs in anticipation. Finally, a woman in high-heel, a slinky dress and much too much make approached.

"Mr. Martin will see you now," she said in a voice so sweet it could give you diabetes.
I followed her down a hallway adorned by newspapers with world changing history on the pages. She stopped in front of a typical editor's office and walked in.

"Mr. Martin, the replacement's here," she told him in her bitter-sweet voice. There was an indistinct voice from the room.
"Go," she demanded, her hands in a shooing motion.

"Come in, come in, I don't have all day," a deep voice said. I stepped in looked around. The room was dark and the blinds were drawn.
"Sit down," Mr. Martin instructed. I followed suit and sat in a cushy chair in front of his desk.
"So, you're my new interviewer, eh?" he inquired, eying me. He was a fat man, typical in his look, male pattern baldness had not been kind to him. He puffed on a stinky cigar.

"I guess that's me," I muttered.
"So, what did you do previously for the Cincinnati Enquirer?" he asked blowing a puff of smoke in my face. I choked back a cough.
"I was an event columnist, I did concerts and fairs mostly," I said a worried tone in my voice. He wasn't even told what I had written or read my work.

"Um... Could you excuse me for a moment, I just need to make a phone call, could you step into the hall, please?" he asked his voice nonchalant. I stepped into the hall and sat on the stool next to the door. His office was quiet for a moment.

"You sent me an event columnist?! An event columnist?! I need a serious writer, not some small town journalist with a Holly Hobby note book!" he began to scream, I flinched hearing his opinion of me.
"Well, she better be damn good, Tim, or it's your ass!" he yelled and slammed the phone on the hook.

"You can come back in now," he called. I sighed and stepped back in.
"Have a seat," he demanded once again. I sat down, sadly.
"So, I hear you're pretty good," he stated, my face brightening in surprise, "you better prove it." I stood up happily.
"You won't regret this," I promised, reaching my hand out for him to shake. He shook it with a smile.
"I sure hope not," he remarked, "come in tomorrow so we can discuss your first assignment."

I left his office with a smile glued to my face. I felt the urge to sing the theme song for 'The Jeffersons." I just hoped I'd get a say in who I'd interview. I headed home. It was time to celebrate!
© Copyright 2010 A. Wright (abbeyrose92 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699348-Jumping-Through-Hoops-pt-2