*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701221-Isaac
by Ian
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Supernatural · #1701221
Issac, a psychic who seems to attract attention.
I was sitting in a new class again, learning something that I already knew, again. I wasn’t even listening to the teacher today. I was staring out the window counting the number of cars that drove by. Then the teacher was standing in front of me, looking angry.

         “So, what is the answer to question 3, Isaac?” The teacher asked.

         I looked up at the board for a second and then said “26.89453, rounded of course,” I took one look at the shocked teacher, before going back to staring outside.

         “That’s rights,” the teacher stammered out. I decided to start counting birds instead, but then the door burst open. Several armed men rushed into the room.

         “Is he in here?” asked the biggest one.

         “How would I know? The boss didn’t tell us anything. How is he expecting us to know who were looking for?” The leader of the group said.

         “What are you doing here?” the teacher asked, trying to sound brave.

         “Is there someone named Isaac here?” the leader asked. I looked at them, so they were after me, today just got interesting.

         “No,” the teacher lied.

         “Everyone in the corner,” the leader said, but everyone was too confused or scared to move. He shot once into the ceiling. That got everyone to run to the corner, except me.

         I studied them closely, all three of them had pistols, and I knew the gun so I broke them from the inside. I did this all while sitting in my seat next to the window.

         “You, we told everyone to go to the corner,” The leader said to me. I got up and started walking towards him. He raised his gun and pointed it right at my chest. “Go to the corner or I will shoot you,” I walked so his gun was pushing on my chest.

         Then I whispered so only he could hear me, “Shoot me, I dare you.” I looked into his eyes and he thought I was completely crazy, just how I liked my enemy. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the taser that I am required to carry. I tasered the leader and he felt over. Then I went for the big guy and got him too, but then it seemed my luck ran out. I felt a gun barrel on the back of my head.

         “Now set down the weapon, no fast movements,” said the last guy, but instead I completely ignored him and him and turned around. The gun was now right in my face, and shaking slightly. I stared right at the man and he was scared of me. He pulled the trigger, and a couple of people screamed, and everyone else looked away. But the gun didn’t fire; I had already snapped the trigger mechanism in several places, so there was no way that gun could fire. I stepped closer and took this guy down too. I started to walk out the door, when I remembered their guns. I took the clips to be on the safe side.

         I peaked outside the room into the hallway. There weren’t any guards out here. That made my job much easier. I walked to the main office and looked inside. There were 2 guards in here, but they were big and dumb looking, so I guessed they weren’t the boss. I walked right into the office and both of the guards jumped.

         “What are you doing here?” one of them asked. I almost rolled my eyes, but managed to look scared instead.

         “One of my classmates needs her medicine, so they sent me to get it,” I lied.

         “Where would it be?” the other one said.

         “It is right behind you,” they both looked around and I knocked them out one after another.  I went into the principal’s office and turned on the P.A. system on.

         “Hello, you are probably looking all over for me, but I am in the principal’s office. Come here if you really want me, also bring all your guards here,” I said into the microphone, sending this message out to the entire school. This was best the way to have the no students injured, but now about me not getting injured. So, then I started setting up a trap.

         In a couple of minutes, I heard voices outside the door and then the doorknob turned. A man entered in an expensive suit and 10 guards behind him.

         “Leave the guards outside and also any weapons you have too,” I said.

         “Give me your taser first,” he said in a heavy Russian accent.

         The first couple of guards most have gotten up already. I took it out of my pocket and handed it to him, and then he removed a revolver from inside his suit and dropped them both outside. “Close the door” I told him. He reached back and pulled the door close never lifting his eyes from me. He was careful, and not probably rookie.

         “Now how do I know that you’re the real Isaac?” the Russian asked.

         Is this proof enough. I broadcasted this thought into his head. He smiled, “So you really are the Isaac that my intelligence network keeps telling me about.”

          I asked “How much do you know about me exactly?” trying to get as much information in this time.

         “You’re a powerful telekinetic user, but other than that you are a ghost. No pictures, fingerprints, there is nothing about you anywhere.”

         “How did you find me then?”

         “We have a spy in your group. At first we were just going to ignore you, but then you managed to steal some important files, in less than an hour.”

         “Is that why you want me, and sent all these men to get me.”

         “Yeah, but don’t worry you won’t be killed. You’re more useful alive then dead,” he said with a smile.

         I sat down in the principal’s chair and asked, “What if I end up being too much for all these men?”

         “You’re not that powerful,” he said. I focused my mind on the last piece holding up the ceiling, and slowly it cracked. Then I snapped completely and I heard the ceiling crash down in the main office. The Russian turned when he heard the noise, then he reach into his suit again and pulled out another revolver.

         “You should always have a backup plan,” he said, but I was already in position. I had gotten up and put one hand over his heart and the other on his wrist.

         “I can kill you now, or disable your right hand. What will you do?”

         He looked at me and said “You can’t do that. It is impossible with the amount of power you have left.” Then he pointed the gun right at my head. “You have almost reached your limit, right.”

         He was right, I couldn’t do much more without hurting myself, but the only way he could know this is if he did reach on psychics. “So you also have people like me,” I said, seeing if my guess was right.

         “Yeah, but we always need test rats. Too bad, we might have been able to use you to perfect something. There just aren’t enough people like you to test all our drugs on, but now I have to leave, so you have to die,” As he said this he started to pull the trigger.  I pushed the gun down, pushing myself to my limit and pulled my body back. The bullet still went through my left shoulder. I fell over in pain as the Russian walked over to me and put the gun to my head. His finger tightened on the trigger.

         The door burst open and a shot was fired. The Russian fell over as someone walked over to me. It was a soldier, her name was Vanessa. She was my supervisor and also my legal guardian.  She bent down and took the revolver. Then she asked “Are you okay Isaac?”

         “Yeah, I should be fine,” I said, as I stood up.

         “Sit back down; I need to bandage your wound.”

         “We should do that outside. Did you kill him?”

         “No, tranquilizer dart. He should be up for a couple of hours.”

         I walked out of the principal’s office and into the main office. “You cleaned up quickly,” I said as almost the whole ceiling had been cleaned up from the room.”

         “We are the best. The Cleanup crew is waiting for the building material to arrive, we have to rebuild the ceiling” She said. Then I heard the hammer of a gun pulled back. I turned the Russian had the revolver that he had dropped outside of the room. The gun was pointed at Vanessa, and then he pulled the trigger.

         I saw the bullet leave the barrel as time slowed for me. I jumped in front of the bullet and put my right hand up. The bullet sped towards me and I focused all my energy on it. Right before the bullet hit me, I stopped it in midair.

         “That’s impossible. Normal telekinesis can’t stop a bullet, it’s just moving too fast,” the Russian said.

          Only if you care about living,otherwise you have all the pwoer you want I sent to him as I split the gun in half, but I knew that only a few could control that much power. The Russian’s eye got opened up wide when he figured out what I had just said. Then he passed out from the tranquilizer. I fell over and threw up soon after.

         “Isaac, stay with me. Don’t pass out. If you do, then you will have those dreams,” Vanessa said kneeling next to me. I felt my eyes roll into the top of my head and I started having a seizure. It lasted for almost a minute. When it finally ended Vanessa was still kneeling next to me. Now my head was in her lap though.

         “Thank you,” she whispered. “We should get you shoulder wrapped though.”

         “Okay, but I can’t stand yet,” I said.

         “Why do you do that?  You know that every time you do that, there is a chance that you will die. It puts too much strain on your body. Any of your organs could fail and even if they don’t this time they are weakened from doing that,” she said.

         “It’s for a good reason though,” I said with a smile. To save someone who still has a future and goals.

         “You’re a good kid,” She said.

         “Of course I am,” I said. Then I drifted off to sleep.

         When I woke up I was in an ambulance, but not a normal ambulance. This one had been made to treat me if I ever had another episode, or went full out. I had an I.V. in my arm; I am guessing it was the medicine that calms my body and mind down.

         “Do I still have to stay here?” I shouted towards the front of the ambulance.

         A skinny guy, in a white doctor coat that matched his hair perfectly came out of the front of the ambulance. His name was Calvin and he had taken care of me since I had gotten into this sector. “First you need to eat,” He said throwing me back a bar. It was probably packed full of everything I needed, and would taste horrible. I ate it quickly, it did taste horrible.

         “Couldn’t you make these things taste better?” I asked.

         “That isn’t the main point of it,” Calvin said.

         “Okay, I’m going to see how everything is going on in there,” I said as I left. I opened up the back of the ambulance and got out. I walked into the school and there were workers all over from my sector. I peeked into the main office; they had almost completely remade the ceiling.

         “Shouldn’t you be in class,” Vanessa said.

         “You snuck up on me, but don’t I get a day off when someone tries to kidnap me,” I said.

         “Just get back to class, okay.”

         “Okay, but for how long do have to go to school?”

         “Until you graduate from high school.”

         “Why I already have a diploma?”

         “For the experience.”

         I decided this was an unwinnable argument for now and left. I started to walk to my class, and had gotten all the way to the stairs before something went wrong. Something always does, but that is what made my life interesting. This time the stairs broke under me. I managed to land on my feet.

         “You’re Isaac, right?” someone asked. I looked up it was an adult, probably 23 or 24.

         “Yes, why do you want him?” I asked

         “Extermination,” He replied, in a cold emotionless voice.

         “Do you know what you’re up against?”

         “Yes, a telekinetic who isn’t enhanced by drugs. So you stand no chance against me,”

He replied.

         “Drug enhanced, another Russian,” I said.

         “Yeah, but my job is just to make sure you die. Capture isn’t wanted anymore,” he said. He shot the pieces of the stairs back up at me. I ducked and waited for his next attack. He stood there looking at me. “Is that all you got?” he asked.

         “I should be the one asking that. You’re the one who says he has to kill me,” I replied.

         “Delaying won’t help you I blocked off the hallways to get here,” he said.

         “Then the only choice I have is to win,”

         “How about I finish this quickly, I’ll just pin you against the wall and kill you like that,” he said. Then I felt the pushing. I started blocking it, but I quickly noticed just how strong he was. I was still being pushed back. I tried to raise my hand to block his attack from hitting my body, but my muscle couldn’t do it. My right arm was too tired.  My entire body and mind was tired from earlier.          

I was being pushed back farther and farther, I could feel him overpowering me. I had one last shot; I would have to go full out again. I started to do it, but then my body stopped. I was to worn out. I fell over and threw up again. Luckily I didn’t have a seizure too. I saw him walk up to me, and reach down. He lifted me up and held me at eye level.

“You aren’t that amazing, why did we even want you?”

I didn’t say anything; I was too busy thinking of a way out of this. He put his hand over my heart; I knew that he was going to destroy my heart. It was extremely efficient way of killing someone. There would be almost no chance of me living if he managed to do that. Then I remembered the stairs, they my last chance. I felt him focus and at that second I shot the stairs at him. They pinned him to the wall across the wall from me. He still tried to kill me, but now he was too far away.

I fell over from exhaustion. I heard a blast down the hallway and lifted myself into a sitting position leaning against the wall.

         “Isaac, thank god your okay. It took us awhile to get here, because no one had explosives with them. What happened?”

         Standing up, I said, “He happened,” pointing across from me.

         “Is he alive?” Vanessa asked. This was also the first time I saw what I had done to him. He was covered in blood; the boards had pierced all the way through him and into the wall. It reminded me of what I a psychic could do. Then the last moment of my parents’ life flashed into my head. They werein two or three times worse condition than this guy. Even with all the pain they were in, they managed to tell me that they still loved me. But then I flashed back to now.

         “Yeah, he is out cold. Most of the drugs they use to enhance telekinetic abilities make our body more sensitive to pain,” I said.

         “Are you okay with this?”

         “I can’t undo the past,” I said and started to take a step. My legs just gave out on me. I started to fall, but Vanessa caught me.

         “You should tell us if you’re hurt.”

          “I’m just a bit tired.”

         “I’ll help you walk to Calvin,” she said. When were alone she asked “Did that remind you of your parents’ deaths?”

         “Of course” I said wishing I wouldn’t have to have this conversation.

         My wish was granted when Calvin popped out of nowhere.  “You didn’t hurt yourself again. Why can’t you stay out of trouble?” he asked

         “Maybe trouble finds me, but this means that you will always have a job at least,” I said, avoiding Vanessa’s look.

         “Come in here, I have to take a look at you again.” I walked into the ambulance. It seemed I would be fine with a little rest. This time I was sent home for the day.

         When I finally got home it was already 11:00 P.M. My house was completely empty like usual. I dropped my backpack in the front entrance and stepped out of my shoes. I stopped and just looked around. I decided I should do a security check, just in case. I took me a little while, because my house was too big for just me, but I liked how it felt. It reminded me of how it used to be. When it just me and my parents, but this house didn’t feel the exact same. Even though it was fully furnished, there was still something missing. It had bugged me the whole time I had live here. I decided that I would find that a later day, and started on dinner. By the time I had eaten, it was already a new day. I headed for bed, wondering what surprises tomorrow had in store.

© Copyright 2010 Ian (eltessa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701221-Isaac