*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702516-The-Wheels-On-the-Bus
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1702516
Who can see America?
         "Pssst... Hey you - see that bus over there?"

"Hahahahhaaaa. You serious? This is a bus station. There are hundreds of buses over there..."

"What are you staring at me for? Oh alright, I'll play your game. Exactly which bus am I supposed to be seeing?"

         "The one with the wheels on it of course! Just look at those wheels!"

"Oh for... I don't have time for this nonsense. Here's a twenty - go get some breakfast. Or something."

         "Time?"

"Stop staring at me will you? OK so maybe I do have time... maybe I just don't want to talk to you anymore, huh? Huh? Did you work that out yet?"

         "Heeeeheeheeee.... Yeah - I knew you didn't want to talk to me before I started talking to you!

         "Oh - and by the way - I don't need your twenty charity bribery falsity, buddy...

         "I need your attention! Look at those wheels on that bus..."

"Look at them. Think! Where have those wheels been? What sights have they seen? Imagine! Mountains... valleys... RV rallies! Sea to shining SEA buddy! Isn't that exciting to you? Those wheels have done it all. Oh... What I would give to be a fly on that wheel - to go round and round and around this breathtaking country... to see cities that are the envy of the world! Lakes bigger than an ocean! Rivers bigger that a sea! I want to swallow the Rockies and drink the Grand Canyon. I want to go preach on a Vegas street corner! Can you feel it buddy? Look at those wheels! America.... oh, how I want to see America."

         "I don't want your money buddy. I want your attention. America wants your attention."


"I've seen America dude. It's full of lost and suffering people like you - people standing around in God-forsaken bus stations, dreaming of better lives in better places. Let me tell you something about your precious wheels dude. Your precious wheels drag death wherever they go... pollution and drugs and broken hearts - that's what I see when I look at your precious wheels. Dream your dream dude - just you stand right here and dream your dream, because the inside of your head is a happier place than the outside of this America you know nothing about."

         "There's more, isn't there buddy? Come on now - let it all out."

"Just who do you think you are? Some sort of angelic vagrant psychiatrist or something? What - did you look into my eyes and see my soul and decide to try and suck the poison out of it? Well suck away dude - suck until that dream of yours chokes and dies like the bugs underneath your precious pollution hauling wheels."

         "Heh. Sorry. I thought I could help you, but I didn't realize..."

"Realize what?"

         "You don't deserve help. I thought you'd just been looking at the darkness for too long, but you are the darkness."

         "I've seen America as well, buddy. It's full of lost and suffering people like you."


*Cut*

497 Words
Written for consideration in:
FORUM
The Dialogue 500  (18+)
Dialogues of 500 words or less.
#941862 by W.D.Wilcox
© Copyright 2010 Malister (malister at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702516-The-Wheels-On-the-Bus