*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705190-The-Walk-home-from-Harlem-to-the-bronx
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1705190
Just me walking home on a sunny day in Harlem.
Not having a car after driving for so long is another one of those things that make you evaluate your life. Leaving work I put my head phones on to block out the signs of the world as I once again tried to drown the memories of the busy work day with tunes from Keisha Cole and a few others.
It didn’t matter to me that the sun was bearing down and that id probably be sweating before I got home. The fact was I really hated public transportation.

Walking up Seventh Avenue towards the 145th street Bridge on Lenox I passed everyone without giving them a second thought. Sure I gave them a quick scan, I’m way too aware of my surroundings not to but I didn’t pay any of them much mind. As I neared the bridge I passed the park where the Basketball Tournaments are played a few chicks dressed in a mix of daisy dukes, jean skirts and belly revealing tops approached and eventually passed. The were all about 25 and I guess they were pretty but it wasn’t that serious for me to bother to pay them any mind after I realized I didn't know them.

I didn’t look at them I looked pass them. Not because I have a girl now, but because I'm older. And now I know there’s no point in staring, there’s no point in turning around to look at a nice ass or sexy set of legs. Because all though it seemed like a big deal when I was younger, I realize now that there are millions of woman with sexy legs, nice asses and big tits. So why stare at this random chick in the street. Why turn as she walks by to get a glimpse at her apple bottom? It really doesn't do anything for me, because as soon you turn back to continue walking guess what you'll see, another sexy nice bootied beauty. So I stay the course listening to "TI’s "you don’t know me" and as I pass the girls I look in the shadow and sure enough two of them turn to catch a peep. Funny. I guess they are so used to being pursed that my nonattentive manner made them curious. Woman used to be so complicated but now i understand 'em a lil something.

Crossing the bridge into the boogie down I spot a little girl in her carriage at the same time she spots me. Her mom is talking on her cell phone as the two approached from about twenty feet and barely notices what the girl is doing.
Suddenly the lil girl puts on a big smile and starts frantically waving to me. She must have been two years old, beautiful big bright eyes, fat cheeks and gorgeous honey complexion. As I neared her I couldn't resist Smiling at her and waving back. She mad me laugh because once she realized I was actually waving back at her she waved faster and faster at me until she passed me. As she passed I looked back and saw that the girl had turned out of the stroller to look back at me for one big smile. I returned hers with a big cheese of my own. Not the fake smile that I would return if an adult stranger who randomly passed me and gave a friendly smile. It was a sincere big ole cheese!
I smiled at her innocence and youth. I smiled because sometime after this she will be told not to talk to strangers, not to trust anyone, even cops. But right now her world was innocent; her world was happy meals, candy and toys from grandma.

I turned and thought how good it would feel If we all though the way children did, how exciting, friendly and fun there world was. And I turned forward and saw three dudes approaching, one of which had his hands behinds his back as he smiled. His smile was different, it was mischievous and devious. Now I was suddenly back in my world. Where every hidden hand had a weapon, and as I looked at the water below I remembered that in my world every river had a body in it. Every group was a gang, every stranger an enemy. Why did I think this way? Because this is what I’ve seen, this is what I know, this is who I am.
Finally the dudes passed without so much as a second glance. How could me and that beautiful lil girl see the same world so differently? Her parents have every right to tell her not to talk to strangers my world isn't nice and sadly when she’s older she will loose her innocence and stop smiling at strangers. She will not lighten someone’s day or give relief to a dark heart such as mine. As I neared my apartment on Walton I decided to stop at the store. Usually after work I'd grab a beer to mellow out from the day but as I neared the counter I simply asked for some peanut M&M's. In front of my building were the local hoods. We usually just gave each other looks. I respected that they've been around here longer than me so I was the outsider and understood their curiosity. But I guess they saw enough in my cockiness and bop to know to leave me alone. As I threw a yellow and a blue in my mouth I looked at the fellas and smiled “Whats up Fellas" I said. They were shocked. The oldest of the group smiled "What’s up big Homie" and he reached his hand out and gave me a pound. As I walked in the building I thought of the contagious lil girl. "Kids"
© Copyright 2010 NycRoBo (rockboylan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705190-The-Walk-home-from-Harlem-to-the-bronx