*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706386-Planet-of-the-Horns
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1706386
Earthlings escape from their destroyed world in an attempt to make a new life...
Planet of the Horns



The Year is 2006.



North America was soon to be gone. In fact, both North and South America were soon to be destroyed from within. Starting in the early 00's of Earth's history, drug lords and terrorists started to permeate the governments of first Latin America and South America, and consequently, due to weak leaderships, North America.



Crime Bosses and Drug War Lords wreaked terrifying havoc on the population killing hundreds of thousands within a few years. Among atrocities committed were abductions, mass murders, and genocide. The populations of every portion of the Americas were cut in half.



Mass immigration occurred from the Americas to Asia, and some to Europe. But this mass exodus caused tensions and plague to break out. The sovereignties of Asia were particularly overwhelmed and had many family units kicked out. Small wars erupted and made settling by those uprooted even more difficult.



As a result of these small wars, arms races dotted radars across the world. A new weapon had thus been developed in a relatively short amount of time that caused great fear among the nations. As what had been the United States went through a reshaping of its society for the worst, drug lords took power and terrorists manipulated it. Finding a safe place to live was getting harder.



Scientists responded to this invention (still unknown as to what it was exactly) by designing blindly new designs. Other scientists, those called the scientists because they wanted to end the arms race peacefully through peaceful invention and rebuilding of society started a project known as Project Ethera. During the chaos, scientists at NASA discovered a habitable planet with an atmosphere and topography similar the Earth's which they named Ethera. It was situated near what our eyes would perceive to be as one of the constellation Taurus' horns. Immediately a meeting that would forever go down in Human history as "The Meeting of 6" or "M6" was held in which top scientists discussed relocating thousands of people away from Earth to Ethera. Afterwards Project Taurus was started.



The Year is Now 2020.



Winona Song held tightly to her little sister Flora who was barely three. Sitting with her parents in a cramped police station, she was awaiting the news of who would be drawn for travel to Ethera. Other families with crying or sick children littered the hallways. Winona wondered how many of them would be separated. But she didn't want to think of that right now as she brushed her mouth against the baby-soft of her sister's curly brown hair. She looked up to see her parents approaching with sunken malnourished eyes. They had sacrificed so much. Now they looked as if something had sucked all the life from their bodies. Winona's mother looked caringly down at her and Flora, then started to cry. Winona launched herself to her feet. "What’s wrong? Were we not drawn?"



Winona's father looked like he was on the verge of tears, but his quiet strength made up for a spilling. He took Winona by the arm and pulled her aside as Winona's mother held Flora tightly in her arms. He looked Winona in the eyes and said, "You and Flora are going without us.”



Winona was silent and struck with the reality of the situation. "No one from our family was selected," said the father pulling stuff out of his pockets with shaking hands. "But that isn't the way it's gonna be. Your mother and I want what is best for you." He looked up from his pockets and locked Winona in with his dark Indian stare. "Your mother and I have purchased two tickets for you and Flora."



Winona was spellbound. They bought the tickets? "But tickets cost..."



The father pulled put both tickets in Winona's hand and closed it. "They cost everything. But if we can get you away from this place it's worth it. Take care of Flora,” he said with strong confident eyes.



Winona felt a tear run down her, "I will, Father." The father gave her a small pat on the cheek and looked over at Flora and the mother. Flora gave a chubby-cheeked grin as if everything in the world were a large garden of ripe strawberries. The father smiled back. "There'll always be hope if there's always a smile like that."



On Board Taurus 2



People were crammed and moving around within small spaces inside the ship Taurus 2. Winona carried Flora with a large knapsack on her back and two large suitcases, hardly enough, Winona thought, for making the longest trip in human history.



People pushed and shoved getting situated in their seats. Certain sections of Taurus had passenger jet-like row seating, while there were rooms where there were no seats and just handrails or handgrips dangling from the ceiling like in a subway car. The entire ship's interior looked botched, but Winona figured that whoever built was in a rush and not too worried about aesthetic appearance. And anyway, Winona thought to herself, this was the first "spaceship" she had ever been on.



A rough passerby knocked into Winona hard sending her to the floor in a heap. Flora was still on her hip and gurgled out a giggle. Winona struggled up as she observed only a blonde blur in a wool grey sweater disappearing in the throngs of people. As she attempted to lift the second large suitcase, a hand lifted it up for her. She looked up to see the soft eyes of an older man about 60. He was dark-skinned and wearing a cowboy hat. He had a wide white smile. "Need some help with that ma'am?" Winona smiled wearily. "Well thank you sir. At least someone on this, uh, ship is kind enough to offer a hand."



The man offered his hand for a shake. "My name is Jude Blackhammer. Pleased to meet your acquaintance, young lady." Winona shook it firmly and they walked into a large room where hundreds of people were setting up pallets and small camps. Winona placed her bags down and spread a medium-sized silk blanket out on the cold metallic floor. She then placed Flora on it and gave her a juice bottle and a cup of applesauce which Flora was all too happy about. Jude eyed Winona and Flora. "Is she yours now sweety?" he asked rubbing the brim of his hat habitually. Winona stood up and caught herself before she said, No. For a second Winona thought it would be just as truthful to say that Flora was hers. "Yes, she is."



Jude gave a wide smile. "Well, she's a cutie. I hope you don't mind me hangin around for a while. I don't have any family with me and I think I could help out with the little girl." Winona nodded approvingly. "Sure thing. I don't mind. It would be nice to have some help."



The ships hadn't left yet. Flora was asleep in Winona's arms. Winona was becoming restless. She couldn't sleep. She heard Jude's snoring behind some crates on the other side of the pallet. Something didn't feel right. Winona gently pushed Flora a little to the side and covered her up. She got up and walked out of the cramped warehouse-like room and gave a long loud sigh of relief.

*********************************************



A month had passed since leaving Earth, and everyone on board Taurus 2 knew not why the city they once knew had suddenly gone up in flames. They only knew that out of the 4 Tauruses to successfully launch only Tauruses 2 and 1 had made it. Most decided that it didn't matter anymore. They were on to newer things. A new beginning.



Walking down one of the many metal corridors, Winona happened on "the spectator's room". The site was impressive with huge Oblong windows offering a view of outer space in all its starlit beauty. Many people were in the room watching the stars twinkle. Some were letting their children up close to the windows to point out constellations or particular stars. Winona was gaping in awe. She hadn't realized how long she had been in the room until a voice from behind startled her. She turned to see a young man who looked to be in his early twenties. He had  a black Mohawk  and a scraggly beard. He also had a cocky grin on his overall sternly lit face. "Can't get enough of it can ya?" he said scratching behind his ear.



Winona observed him for a moment. "What’s your name? I don't think I've seen you around here."



The man popped his neck, which made Winona flinch. "My names Liam. That’s it. Yours?"



"Winona Song," she said extending a hand.



Liam smiled, "You look Native American."



Winona frowned. "Well, yes. I grew up on a reservation. My father was..."



"Niice to know, I’ve got some Scottish awesomeness in me.  They painted themselves blue and fought in the nude."



Winona felt slightly disoriented by Liam's scattered thinking. As she continued talking with him she discovered that carrying on a one-sided conversation was much easier than trying to inject personal opinions. "You here with any family, Liam?" she asked trying to turn the conversation to something serious.



Liam eyed her for a moment. "No. I'm here for me by me."



Winona looked around. "Well, whatever the case, me and this nice man named Jude have a camp set up in Cubical 656. You could come and have a chat anytime you're feeling lonely I suppose."



Liam looked around. "Sure. How ‘bout now?"



The two left the viewing bay and started down the hall toward the Cubical.  Winona glanced over to Liam who was walking with a cocky gait.  “So what do you hope to accomplish out here in the deep black of the last frontier?”



Liam made an almost irritated face. “Eh…I dunno.  Pick up a few alien chicks maybe.”



Winona frowned.  “You don’t sound very ambitious.”



“Wha? You need to get out more.  Chasing chicks that might not exist is VERY ambitious.  It challenges me.”



Winona decided to leave Liam be. It didn’t seem like he was very interested in serious conversation. As they were coming up on the Cubical, sounds of laughter and mild partying were heard around the corner. At the very front of the Cubical’s entrance a crowd of men had gathered around a single individual. Liam immediately shoved himself into the crowd. Winona could make out a moderately tall, raven-haired Asiatic man in his early twenties. He wore the most optically advanced glasses that looked like they could do everything under the sun except cook. “Turn off the lights!” the man shouted.



One of the gaurds moved in to the group. “Sorry man but we aren’t gonna cut off the lights for a single individual.”



“Dawn it. Anyway…I can turn the lights off with my glasses baby!” said the Asian man enthusiastically. He clicked a side gadget on his glasses, then proceeded to play cards with the losing competitor.



“Hey what’s your name?” asked Liam smiling playfully. “I think I’ve seen you somewhere before.”



“Nah. You not see me nowhere cause I not ever see your ugly mug,” said the asian man cracking a confident smile behind his cards.



“Hey, woah. Knock it off man it was just a question,” said Liam defensively.



“Ya. Go Knock you up baby,” said the Asian man cracking a much bigger smile.



Before his smile could come to fruition Liam knocked him off his stool, toppling everything over. Cards were flying. The Asian man scrambled to his feet and immediately saw Liam making a bee line for him. “Awww Crrap…” he said darting for the ship’s hall.



Winona watched Liam go into a wild rage and disappeared down the hall chasing after the Asian man with no name and gaurds following close behind.



Winona was cleaning up Flora’s juice mess when Jude walked up. He gave his usual broad smile. “The commander is gonna come and take a “census” of all who are on board. It was suggested that we all line up. I’ll help ya clean up around if you want hun.”



“Sure thing.  Thank the stars me and Flora have you Jude,” said Winona picking up blankets and old food trays.



Everyone lined up in uneven lines of hundreds. Babies were crying and old people were moaning from having slept on the hard surface for so long. The ship’s cubical 656 was cramped, humid from sweat, and smelly. Winona couldn’t wait to get to wherever the ship was going.



The double doors swished open to reveal the commander, second in command to the captain. Winona was surprised to see a small woman in her mid twenties dressed in uniform standing confidently and unmoved with a stern look of what really couldn’t be read in depth. She was of a short stature, but slender. Her hair was up in a small, tight dark brown bun situated at the nape of her neck. She scanned the room with tense blue-green eyes. Ten officers appeared behind her with old fashioned clipboards. “Lets get this over with people,” said the commander solidly.



It took all “day” (at least according to the ship’s time keeping systems) to get rough estimates for who all was on board, as well as all the little details involved. Winona was tired and wanted to go to a room all to herself, with Flora of course. She decided that the little girl deserved a trip to the observation room. So Winona situated Flora on her hip and made her way out of the Cubical. She turned the corner and accidentally ran into the Asian man. “Oh! Hi sorry!” he said surprised jumping back and looking around skittishly. “I think that crazy guy still after me. You see him anywhere?” Winona tiredly looked around. “No, and I think you should really just ignore the guy. What’s your name again?”



The Asian man eyed her for a moment as if saying his name would call down some kind of fire from heaven. “Shark.  Jus call me shark baby.”



Winona rolled her eyes. “Okay…Shark…nice to meet you. See you later.” She carried Flora past Shark toward the Observation room only to be met by the commander. One look into those rippling blue-green eyes was just a plain mystery.  “Hello….uh…commander…”



“My name is Vonateria.  You can call me Von. I’m off duty,” she said with no expression. Winona blew a brown lock out of her face as she balanced Flora on her hip. “Well nice to meet you Von…”



“Call her commander all the time, she likes it,” said a man leaning on an opposite wall. Von gave a cold stare at the man. “Just because I’m Von off duty doesn’t mean you won’t get your ass blasted when I am on duty.”



The man smirked. “Heh…ya whatever. By the way to “person who doesn’t know me yet”, I’m Arlan Jade, but you can call me J or Jade. I’m head pilot of this dumpster.”



Jade was of moderate stature with broad shoulders and an imposing demeanor. His hazzle eyes were shaded by a furrowing brow. His sandy blonde hair was tousled and somewhat unkept, but otherwise fitting for a pilot. He was wearing a pilot’s jumpsuit and looked like he had been working under the ship instead of on it.



“So, what’s your name? You look native American.” Said Jade strolling over to the two women.



“My name is Winona Song and this s Flora.”



Jade started to pat Flora on the head, but Winona dodged it.



Just then Liam came meandering down the hall. “Hey what’d I miss? Hey you… I know you…”



Winona instantly left with Flora, and Von went into another room. Liam watched as the two women left. “Wow. I definitely need to find an alien chick. Know of any, what was it? Jade? Hey do I know you?”



Jade turned to leave. “Buzz off.”



“Ya, wait…Arlen Jade?” Liam said gesturing with his chin like he was thinking really hard. “Ya…I knew I knew you from somewhere. You were that ACE wannabe at that flight competition weren’t you?



Jade turned to go and started down the hall not looking at Liam. Liam just followed…closely. “I DID kick your ass, even though I lost.”



Jade pivoted to face Liam with a scowl. “YOU got kicked OUT you mean.”



Liam innocently smiled. “I wasn’t kicked out really…I  left.”



“What’s the difference?” asked Jade with a grunt.



“The difference is I just wasn’t liked because I was too good and liked to bend the rules a little…”



“I remember everything differently,” said Jade under his breath harshly.



“Ah, whatever. I’m going to go get some coffee…wherever that is. Wanna join?”



Jade made himself go with Liam. The two weren’t on the best terms, but what happened on Earth was a thing of the past, or so it was made to seem.



The “cantina” was a small hole in the wall with only a few box-like tables  scattered about. The room was dimly lit with only a small hanging Asian lantern lamp in the middle of the ceiling. “Gotta love what they’ve done with the place,” said Jade taking a drink.



“So…” started Liam.



“You’re wanting a position on the command deck?” completed Jade matter of factly and with little enthusiasm.



“Wow you read my mind.”



Jade put his plastic cup down and folded his greased hands together. “Remember we were partners. Let me tell you this up front…no.”



“But we are already lightyears from Earth. The Captain is an idiot for only having only one “head” pilot and I just so happen to be available,” said Liam stretching back on the boxes he was sitting on.



“I am worth more than one,” said Jade getting up.



Liam just stayed on the boxes. “I bet you’d really love to have shorter shifts.”



Jade started to leave then paused. Then left.



Everyone had gathered in Cubical 666 to watch a presentation called “Destination Ethera”. Commander Von was heading up the presentation with Jade handling any tech issues. Hundreds were gathered. Winona and Jade managed to obtain a front row standing, and Shark had managed to procure a “balcony” position without the gaurds noticing.

The lights in the giant cubicle immediately darkened and a small sphere-like object ejected out of a central compartment. It hovered for a few seconds then fanned out into holo-projectors, which then encircled a central area and projected an image of a huge green planet~Ethera. The image gave off warm blue-green pulses, which made it seem like one was within the very atmosphere of the planet.



There were some gasps and oohs and aws. At about that time Liam had shoved his way to the front of the crowd where Winona, Flora, and Jude were. “Hey, what’d I miss?”



Winona gave a signal for him to be quiet, but he just gave a mocking shush. “Cool planet,” he yelled. “Any beaches? Better yet how’s the air? We won’t get sucked out of our eyes or anything?”



Commander Von gave him a stern look and proceeded to describe the planet: “We will come up on the M-Class planet of Ethera in approximately 4 weeks. Ethera is much like earth, save for a few minor differences…”



“Like hot aliens…” interjected Shark from above.



Commander Von glared above her. “Those situated on the ceiling will hold there peace or be sent to detention. As of now there are no “hot” alien species of any kind other than the indigenous wildlife.”



Continuing, “The wildlife is somewhat different in that basically we will be landing in Earth’s equivalent of the Amazon rainforest. There are numerous kinds of bird-like creatures and reptilian species. The plant-life is equally as diverse, and it might take time to get used to it. It has been noted by biologists that the plants on Ethera are in the meat-eating majority. Geographers, geologists, and meteorologists have located a piece of land on the Southern continent of Ethera that looks relatively safe to start a colony. This is all the information on Ethera we have to offer at this time, however, I will take any questions.”



Winona started to ask something but Liam interjected, “Are there dinosaurs?” he asked quizzically.



“Not that we know of…at least according to Earth’s definition,” said Commander Von.



The command deck was quiet, but busy a few weeks after the debriefing on Ethera.  Technical officers busily scurried around making sure that the ship would be at full functioning capacity by the time it reached Ethera’s atmosphere.  The planet was already showing up in the distance as a green-blue orb pulsated some kind of atmospheric aura.  As Commander Von looked out the viewport, she couldn’t help but wonder what awaited the last of the human race.  She looked down from her station at a step below where Jade sat with his feet propped up on his console eating something that looked like old trailmix.  “Just because the captain’s not on deck…”



“Doesn’t mean I can be a lazy ass and…blahblahblah…,” interrupted Jade crunching.



Commander Von rolled her eyes. Jade was certainly one of the most annoying people she had ever met, perhaps it was because he didn’t seem effected by her ability to command people.



Jade slid his feet off of his crummy console and eyed the sensors. “Hey Yeshua, why didn’t you tell us there was a blip on the sensor readings?”



Jade turned around to see an empty station where Yeshua was supposed to be working.  “It appears he isn’t there,” said Jade walking over to the sensor station.  “That jack-ass really needs to learn how to…” Jade suddenly took on a worried look.



“What is it?” asked Commander Von impatiently.



Jade looked up from the controls.  “The blip is still on the screen and it’s fading off and on. Weird.  And it’s not outside the ship anymore…”



Commander Von moved to his side to observe the phenomenon.  “I think we should call the Captain.” Commander Von immediately went to her station, and pushed the com button. “Captain, Sir, I think you’d better come and see this.”



Winona had left Flora with Jude to get some “fresh air” outside of the Cubical.  Her long hair had been up in a ratted bun all day and she decided to let it down.  “Ah…freedom,” she said shaking it out in the corridor.  As she rubbed her head for a moment she noticed her shadow.  The dimming lights within the corridor were bright enough to cast only a faint shadow of her outline.  She looked away, then looked back without thinking much and saw what appeared to be another outline standing next to her.  She looked around her and saw no one.  She looked again at the wall and the shadow was still there.  She started to feel a little uneasy and started to move down the hall quickly.  The door to Cubical 666 swished open and Liam appeared.  “Hey. Going somewhere?”



Winona eyed him for a moment.  “Not really, actually I’m a little weirded out.  Have you been seeing shadows lately? Like double shadows?”



Liam looked over at the hall wall.  “Ya.”



Winona rolled her eyes. “No…obviously, yes, there are two shadows right now, but I was alone in the corridor and saw a shadow standing right next to my own, and it didn’t move at all.”



Liam looked around.  “I seriously don’t see any….”



Both turned and looked at the wall.  There were three shadows now. “See what I mean?”



Liam pulled out his Walther P-38.



“You know if you shoot that…” started Winona.



Liam gave her an agitated slightly amused look, “Do I look that stupid?”



“Yes.”



Liam huffed.  He moved his gun around where the shadow’s owner would most likely be.  It disappeared. “Well, solves that problem,” said Liam. 



“Aren’t you afraid that that could have been some kind of intelligent life? Like maybe you hit its head, put it into a deep coma, and its kind is going to come back for revenge?” asked Winona crossing her arms.



Liam gave a cocky grin. “Ya. And?”



Just then Commander Von’s voice rang out over the ship wide com.  “This is Commander Von.  The Captain requires that all ship personnel and passengers stay in their cubicals and work areas.  There is going to be a system-wide lockdown.  It is strongly recommended that defensive precautions take place.  To be frank, keep any weapons you have close at hand, but do not attempt to leave your cubical. It will be easier to maintain some kind of order, and please…no one panic…”



Suddenly shots were heard behind Cubical 666’s closed doors.  Winona’s eyes got big.  “I think something is wrong,” she said.



Screams were heard muffled behind the doors, and fast-paced footsteps were heard coming down the corridor.  Liam readied his gun.  Both him and Winona hid behind the closest corridor corner and waited for the stranger to get closer.  Just as the stranger turned the corner, Liam took aim but his weapon was caught in a blur of some kind of glowing golden whip.  It went upward out of his hands.



Both Winona and Liam looked up to see Shark holding Liam’s weapon and some odd looking whip. “What the hell?” said Liam surprised.



“Hell is right man,” said Shark falling from the ceiling. “There people dying in there.”



Liam looked around the corner again and suddenly found himself face to face with a very dark mass.  It seemed as if it had dark, smokey indentations where its eyes should be. Liam gave an incredulous look at the face.



Liam and the smoky figure just stood looking at each other for a moment.  “Psst…hey, Shark…my gun please?…”



Shark slowly handed it back to him.  Liam took it slowly then ran it through the smokey figure. The figure just stood there as if it were unmoveable. 



  All of the sudden the smokey figure disappeared.  Liam waved his hand around the place it had been. “Ha! It’s gone!”



The hall was dark, but as the dim light cast shadows, Winona noticed that Liam’s was missing.  Screams were still being heard, as well as shots from behind the Cubical doors nearby.  “Liam…”



“That smoky bastard,” he mused still waving his hands around in the emptiness.  “Scared it away, guess I was just too awesome.”



Winona sighed.  “Careful or you’ll have Peter Pan on your ass.”



“Laaame,” said Liam.



Tim frowned.  “Who Peter Pan?”



Winona and Shark watched as Liam kept moving his arms.  Then all of the sudden he stopped and turned around slowly.  Shark looked over him.  “Is crazy boy okay?”



Liam’s eyes glazed over completely black. “Fools!  You are far from home,” his disembodied voice said with crazy confidence.  He raised his katana.



“Oh….I think we better run…” said Shark with a shaky voice.



“Ya…” agreed Winona as she started running.



Shark followed Winona close behind as Liam chased with his gun shooting in all directions.  “Fools! Fools!” screamed the unknown Liam.



Shark and Winona got to the end of the corridor…a dead end.  Shark looked up around.  His glasses made an odd wooshing noise and he was suddenly sent to the ceiling. Liam for some reason didn’t see Shark’s upward direction and just kept charging straight for Winona.  Winona braced herself, but then a sharp whipping noise was heard from above and snatched Liam’s weapon straight out of his hand into a stringy, golden blur.  Liam danced around crazily and looked up with dead black eyes at Shark.  Shark touched a side of his glasses and a hissing noise was heard.  Liam flinched. 



Winona was trying to scramble around the crazy disembodied Liam, and he shoved her into the wall. Winona took on a defensive position by crossing her arms and bringing her hands up to her neck as Liam tried to choke her. She bit his arm and this only made the creature that possessed him more angry. 



Shark again touched his glasses and another hissing noise was heard.  This time, just as Liam was about to get a good hold on Winona’s neck, he suddenly went still and dropped to the floor with a loud thud.



Winona scrambled toward Shark. “How the heck did you do that?” she said rubbing her neck and looking down at the unconscious Liam.



Shark gave a smart grin, “Jus my charm baby.”



The main lights came on all at once around Shark, Winona, and the unconscious Liam.  Commander Von’s voice rang over the ship’s com: “It appears that whatever was attacking has left the ship, but we have sustained some casualties in Cubicals 676 and 677.  I request everyone’s immediate help.  For those who are wounded, help is on the way.  Please stay calm.”



Winona and Shark stumbled back as Liam stirred.  He was flat on his face.  He rolled over slowly.  It looked like he had been foaming at the mouth.  “ugh…,” he groaned, “what happened…it felt so awesome.”



Winona offered her hand and he stood with wobbly legs.  “You tried to kill me.”



Liam looked at her with yellowish sick eyes.  “I did? How good was I?”



Winona  rolled her eyes and started back down the long hall to Cubical 666 in a hurried panic.



Liam looked over at Shark.  “Nice glasses,” he said swiping them from his face.



“Hay now you don’t take my baby!” shouted Shark tearing them away from Liam’s uncontrolled grip.  “And how you remember that anyway?”



Liam eyed him for a minute. “I really don’t know.” Then fell to the floor unconscious again.



It had taken a few days for the medical personnel to assist the wounded.  ΒΌ of the ship’s population had been killed.  Winona had reached Flora and found that she had been kept safe by Jude.  Commander Von and Jade had assisted in cleanup and various other tasks that related to the damage the ship took, which was quite a lot.  Some systems had been tampered with, such as water, heating, and cooling, which left a lot of questions as to who and why about the mysterious shadow aliens.  Everyone was in a very tense mood.  Many had their weapons out and ready, and fights occasionally broke out in different sectors of the ship that didn’t help the situation.



Jade had made his way to the Cantina where many others were congregated looking suspiciously at one another and their weapons.  Apparently nobody trusted anyone with some good reason.  He sat down at a small table.  The lights were dim as always, but the smell of food wafted through the air.  “Mmmm…,” said Jade sniffing at the air then looking down at his Desert Eagle.  “You are gorgeous…,” he said to the gun attempting to shine it with his spit.



Just then Shark and Liam entered, Liam with a more tossed gait than usual.  Jade watched him saunter to the small bar as Shark made way to where Jade sat.  Jade eyed his gun, then he eyed Liam as he started conversation with a young woman with swept up hair and a decorated fair complexion.  Shark took a seat across from him.



“Hi.  My names Shark.  I like your gun man,” he said smiling.



“You see that man over there?” said Jade pointing his gun in that direction.



Shark blinked. “Ya. He crazy.”



Jade made a smirk then kept polishing his gun with his spit.  “No…he is my mortal enemy that’s what he is.”

Liam started over to where Jade and Shark sat.  “Hay guys. That chick over there is hot.  She actually gave me a piece of chocolate…you know how hard that stuff is to come by on this dungheap?”



Jade kept his same expression looking intently at his gun.  Liam took a peak under the table at whatever object Jade was caressing.  “Ha! Nice. Guess what I got? Walther P-38,” he said with pride taking it out of one of his many holsters.



Jade eyed it.  “The Desert Eagle is the gun for me.”



Liam slouched back in the wicker chair he was occupying.  “That thing jams too easy.”



Jade fumbled around with it. “Nazi.”



The young woman from the bar walked up to their table.  “Can I get anyone anything to drink?”



Liam grinned and pointed at his face with both thumbs, “I can give you something to drink…”



The woman gave an unusual laugh. “I’m sure you could hun. But I’m serious anyone want a drink?”



Shark looked her over.  “Hay I like blonde girl sweet.”



She smiled at him, “Your cute hun.  I guess that means no.” She turned to Jade.



“Sure thing sexy,” said Jade with a happy face.



Out of nowhere a large punch to the face tipped him over and out of his chair.  “Watch it hun or I’ll call security,” she said tossing her hair.



Jade slowly regained his composure and stared at Liam and Shark who were smiling contendedly.  “You guys are assholes,” said Jade leaving sullenly.



Shark was doing some maintenance on his “secret” glasses when Commander Von stopped at his small pallet.  She crossed her arms.  “I need to talk to you, Shark is it?”



Shark grinned, “Ya hunny.” 



Shark and Commander Von started  out the cubical and down one of the long corridors passing people on their way.  “I hear that you have some sophisticated technology that you keep hidden.”



Shark kept grinning.  “No hunny. That a lie.”



Commander Von almost cracked a smile.  “Well whatever the case, it would be nice if you were more transparent about your tech.  It would probably really help, especially if those aliens decide to attack again.”



Shark winked at her. “Ya. I come clean soon hunny.”

A gathering had occurred in corridor 567.  It was only composed of a select group of people that Commander Von had specifically chosen.  Liam, Shark, Jade, and one named Moe.  Nobody knew why Moe was there exactly.  It had actually been common knowledge on the entire ship that Moe was quite possibly the most annoying human being ever to be found.  But most people only whispered such things.



Commander Von looked around the room at her “reconnaissance team”.  “Alright guys, you are going to be the first to traverse a piece of Ethera.  I want information on the ground where we are to set up camp.  I want you to observe Flora and Fauna in the area you are to be transported to.”



Liam looked around sheepishly then leaned carefully got closer to the Commander. “Do we have to take that guy with us?” he asked through clenched teeth.



Moe was too busy smiling dumbly and arranging his equipment to notice the question.



Von blinked matter of factly. “Moe is our head biologist.  He is to collect samples.  He will be a valuable asset.”



Liam looked over at him again.  “Seriously?  No way in Hell.”



Commander Von pushed Liam back into the lined up group.  “Good luck to all of you…this mission might be dangerous, but I have confidence,” she glanced at Shark, “that you can complete this task.”



The four started boarding the anthroprobe.  Everyone made it in except Moe who banged his head on the top of the entrance.  Liam was behind him and shoved him in.  A loud thud was heard.  As he entered he heard Commander Von, “Oh and there are survival packs in the pod, just in case you have to spend several nights to several weeks on the planet for whatever reason.”



Liam gave a lasting look of worry, then closed the hatch.



The man pod was a pod, that looked like a human.  It had the mechanical equivalent of arms, legs, and man-like appendages.  At first glance as it burst through the watery atmosphere of Ethera, it appeared to be a ball, but as it closed in on the surface transformed into its more identifiable features.  Each person manning a specific compartment within.



The anthropod made a loud thud as it landed making a crater.  It stood up and started to move around the lush field that was surrounded by jungle. 



Com 1/Jade:  Commander Jade to…



Com 2/Liam:  HAHA Commander Jade…



Com 1/Jade: Jade to surrounding com units is everyone operational?



Com 3/Shark:  This Shark.  All is go.



Com 4/Moey:  Hi guys. Im feeling a little sick.



Com 2/Liam: We don’t make pit stops.  Where is our first survey to be set up?



Com 1/Jade:  A patch of Jungle a few kilometers from here.  I have the navigation up for all screens.  Operational?



Coms 1/2/3:  *Green light*



Com 4/Moe:  where is the um, button? I still need a rest stop. I threw up on my dashboard. Are there napkins in here anywhere cause I think is saw some…



Com 3/Shark:  Hays why I get man crotch



Com 1/Jade:  Everyone set their…



Com 2/Liam:  Alright I’m out.  Time for a dino hunt.



Com1/Jade:  There aren’t any dinosaurs on this planet.  The climate isn’t right for such kinds of life…



Com2/Liam: *Silence*



Jade sighed loudly.  “Okay guys lets go.  Shark I want you to set up a defense parameter around the pod.  We will be at a short distance from you.  Just be on alert,” he said loading his Desert Eagle.



Liam was already on the hunt for lifeforms touching plants and practically licking everything in site.  “Damn have I missed green.”



Moe took a little pocket knife out and started taking samples and sticking them in tiny tubes.  Liam noticed, however, that wherever he was making observations, so was Moe.  Gradually over a few hours of observation, Moe was finally trailing behind Liam practically stepping on his heels. 



Liam spun around to find his nose and the point of his P-90 touching Moe.  Moe was also smiling dumbly, which kindled Liam’s aggravation into disgust.  “If you’re not a hot chick, then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU IN MY SPACE?!” he shouted into Moe fat face.



  “Just keeping close I guess,” said Moe innocently.

Jade passed the two clenching his gun and ducking around behind bushes.  “We gotta keep to the mission guys…”



“We gotta keep to the mission guys,” interrupted Liam mockingly.  “In case you haven’t noticed we are standing on the mission wiseass.”



Jade waved his gun around and made a serious defensive pose.  “The mission…”



Suddenly Jade disappeared into the ground with the remaining noises of leaves rustling and a loud thud.



Liam turned to see that Moe had also disappeared.  “Thank god,” said Liam then also realizing there could actually be an issue detrimental to the team.  He was standing alone in the middle of the jungle.  He walked up to where Jade had disappeared and noticed a gaping hole, and there below was Jade clenching his arm.  “I believe I have fractured my arm…”



Liam sniffed.  “I guess this means mission complete.  I’ll com Commander Von…”



Suddenly something wooshed through the air and caught Liam off guard knocking him down.  The sound of Moe screams rang out from beneath, “Waaa!”



The species of bird landed beside Liam.  It was very large with teeth in its curved beak.  It had feathers of purple, green, and orange.  It’s eyes were of an odd translucent grey surrounding little red devilish pupils.



Liam instinctively reached around for his Ppsh-41, but then thought better of it.  He sat still for a minute.  The bird cocked its head when it heard Moe’s terrified screams.  It started for the hole.



For a moment Liam watched in amazement at the beautiful animal.  Then also realized where it was going and what the holes actually were.  “Amazing,” he said slowly crawling to a distance from the creature.  He watched as it poked its head into the hole in which Moe occupied.  Moe let out more screams.  It started stabbing into the hole with its beak. 



“What is going on out there? Guys!” shouted Jade from his hole.



“Sshh!” said Liam crawling to Jade’s hole.  It will probably eat you faster if you make loud noises. Hold on and I’ll get you out…”



“But what about Moe?” said Jade grabbing for the vine Liam had found.



“Excuse me? What did you say?” asked Liam pretending absentmindedness.



At about that same time a roar was heard through the trees.  A large blast rang through the woods as the man pod came stomping into the clearning where the three were struggling.  “Big bird is go down,” said the mechanical version of Shark.



The pod’s arm took aim with its blaster attachment.  Liam let his grip release on the vine sending Jade falling back down and ran over to where the bird was still pecking.  “Wait, Shark!”



Shark fired, but suddenly the bird disappeared from thin air, and so did Liam.



Commander Von was at her main station studying some weather reports when Jade commed in.  “Jade to Commander, we have successfully attained samples of the planet’s surface, however, Liam has disappeared, Moe is severely wounded, and I have a fractured arm.”



“What about Shark?” asked Von almost worriedly.



“Shark is here hunny,” chirped Shark.  “I not wounded.”



Commander Von eyed her data.  “Alright, I want Shark to transport Jade and Moey back to the ship in the pod, then I want Shark to return to the surface to help with a search and rescue of Liam.  I also want a full report on what happened exactly.”



Commander Von turned to the ship wide com link.  “Winona Song please report to the command deck.”



After Shark had returned Jade and Moe to the ship to have their wounds treated, he saw Winona walking toward the docking station for the pod.  “Hay Indian chick! You are rescue help?”



Winona smiled.  “Ya.”  She set a large container on the floor and opened it revealing a PS-V sniper rifle and its attachments.  She also snapped a Glock-17 to her side.



Shark eyed the weapons.  “I thought you only little mother or something.  Where the Hell you get weapon and training?”



Winona rearranged some things and didn’t look up.  “Lets just say it runs in the family, and my training was never full fledged.  I just inherited the weapons and only have a fair knowledge on how they work.  I’m definitely not a skilled ranger,” she said as she looked through the sniper’s scope.”



“So you screw up mission most likely,” said Shark folding his arms.



“Hopefully Liam hasn’t gotten himself into any terrible sort of peril. But I have sneaking suspicions. Okay, I’m ready,” declared Winona sealing her sniper container.

















© Copyright 2010 sil_lark (sardisalex at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706386-Planet-of-the-Horns