*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706481-Pet-Party
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1706481
Writer's Cramp Contest Entry - 9/8/10 - A party for pets
I'm so excited that my friend is throwing a pet party this weekend. She's celebrating the birthday of her favorite childhood pet, and we're all supposed to bring presents (I got her a fancy new collar for her guest of honor) and pets of our own. It just so happens that I got a new pet recently, so the timing really couldn't be more perfect.

We were just getting back from picking out my new pet. My parents thought I was old enough to shoulder the responsibility of caring for one of my very own, so we made the long trip out to the preserve where many of us go to pick out family pets. There are so many different breeds to choose from, I could have spent days playing with all of them. The decision was so hard!

I eventually made my choice, and my parents were surprised that I decided to splurge. I could have had a dog, or a cat, or a bird ... but I wanted something really special, and this particular pet was one I could talk to, and dress up, and play with all day long. The breed was known for being very social and durable, so I was excited about the prospect of all the play time we would have together. In fact, when I got home, the first thing I was going to do was create some adorable outfits that it could wear to the pet party! I was getting excited just thinking about the possibilities. Sure, it was my friend's pet party, but I was pretty sure my pet was going to be the belle of the ball, as the saying goes. I was going to make it so pretty!

As my parents drove, I settled in for the long trip home, my new pet sitting next to me on the backseat. I yawned; the trip had been exhausting, and although I was still excited, I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open. I gave one last look over to the newest addition to our family beside me, then allowed my heavy eyelids to close so I could drift off into a nap and dream about all the fun I would have with my new pet.

Our spaceship sped away from the Milky Way galaxy and on toward our home world. Everyone would be so surprised that my parents got me such a wonderful pet. My first, very own human.


(411 words)
© Copyright 2010 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706481-Pet-Party