*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1709705-A-Study-in-Senses
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Writing · #1709705
This is a simple exercise. I would like to know what effect it has on you.
“What are you feeling?”

“I don`t know”

“What do you hear?”

“I can hear nothing. No! I can hear a strange sound”

“What do you see?”

“I can see nothing. It is dark.”

“What can you smell?”

“I can smell pee.”

“How do you feel?”

“I feel cold and wet and I am scared.”

“Where are you?”

“I am in bed.”

“Why are you scared?”

“Because it is dark. I am scared of the dark.”

“Why are you wet?”

“I was too scared to get up to pee.”

“Who are you?”

“I am little Johnny. I am five.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What are you feeling?”

“I am feeling tired, sad, relieved, and.........and extremely tired.”

“What do you hear?”

“I hear the wind blow. It blows gentle whispers across my face. I hear the pavement groaning, the buildings creaking and a distant banging.”

“What do you see?”

“I see nothing but blackness around me, but there are shadows nearby and flickering lights.”

“Are you frightened?”

“No. The dark is my friend. It protects me and hides me from others.”

“What do you feel?”

“I feel cold. It is cold and I am shivering. This makes me sad, but I am happy because I am still alive and relieved...relieved because my friend the dark has protected me again.”

“Where are you?”

“I am in an alleyway, under some boxes. This has been my home for three weeks now, but my days are numbered. The council was here yesterday and tried to take my boxes.”

“Why are you here?”

“Because I was a child once. I wanted to become a man and not be scared of everything. Because I became a man and was frightened of other things. Because as a man I took things to not be frightened anymore. Then everything weighed so heavily, I sought the freedom of a boy. Because I wanted to become that boy once again.”

“What do you smell?”

“I smell pee. I have just peed in my pants once again. Why? Because I was too tired to get up.”

“Who are you?”

“I am John. I am 52.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little Johnny weeps and shivers. A distant light comes on then the soft tread of footfalls brings the warm, scented, crooning embrace that drives the fears from his heart as wetness is dried and the darkness dies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sky begins its weeping lament. Mists of sweet scents fold effortlessly through, over and around all below, cleansing, washing. John embraces the rain as it splashes about him. He shivers less and less then pees his last as the darkness lives and John dies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

© Copyright 2010 Shane Gregory Dale (sgodbr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1709705-A-Study-in-Senses