*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711538-Final-Legacy
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1711538
Sarah spends time remembering - beneath a giant moon. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the words: moon, stone and grass

Final Legacy

“I miss the grass.”

She spoke into her Remembrance-Bank. Sarah wasn’t certain why that seemed important, but at that particular moment – it did. Truth be told, it had been years since she’d seen real grass; the kind you could walk on and feel between your toes. Right at this very moment, grass was what she missed the most.

Sarah remembered on purpose. It had become a habit. That’s what they told everyone to do – remember and record.

She saw her 10-year-old self running along the edge of the lake. Every now and then she would dash in and then back out.

“Did you see that, Grandpa? Old Whiskers nearly got me that time.”

The old man would frown, “You know better than to tease Old Whiskers.”

She would try to look sad while he pretended to be angry. Then they would both burst out laughing. It had been a good time to be alive. She made a note to put that memory into her RB.

Things had changed over the years. She bent over and picked up a small flat stone. It was perfect; just like the ones she used to look for when she was young. She looked up at the flat barren stretch of dirt that used to be a lake.

With a sigh, she let the stone fall to the ground.

Sarah looked at her RB and saw the blinking message, “Fifty-six hours until final upload.”

Fifty-six hours until she committed her memories to a data base that would be flung towards the nearest star.

She looked up at Armageddon. The moon covered most of the sky. It grew larger daily - Reflecting more and more of the sun’s heat.

“I miss skipping stones,” she said.

Word count 292



© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711538-Final-Legacy