*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712516-What-Paradox
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1712516
I watch myself at a pivotal point in time. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the line, "You're going the wrong way."

What Paradox

There I was; standing at the edge of the cliff – toes hanging over into what might as well have been infinity.

I remember thinking, How far is far enough? How far must I fall to guarantee the outcome I want?”

I had even done a little math ahead of time. After falling so far you’d reach Terminal Velocity – that’s what they called it. When you fall so fast, you just can’t fall any faster. I might not go that fast, but I was sure this would be terminal enough.

I watched myself from a short distance; just out of sight if you weren’t looking. I watched myself ponder the end of life. I watched myself sob and then sigh. I saw me lean forward and then flap my arms to keep from falling. Then I saw the moment I was waiting for.

I stood at the cliff in no big hurry. I was savoring my final serving of life. This was unexpected. Small memories popped into my head stirring surprisingly large emotional responses. Sad times, good time – everything was exaggerated. There was no emotional middle ground.

I saw myself wiggle my toes. I remember that. I laughed out loud back then, just as I was doing now. I remember feeling a complete appreciation for the absurdity of it all; life, death – all of it. None of it mattered and all of it was important. It all meant something.

I remember thinking, “What the hell,” and then leaning forward, embracing the sudden pull of gravity.

That was my signal. I was only a couple of steps away by that time so it was easy to reach out and grab myself; pulling me back to safety.

“You’re going the wrong way. Come with me,” I said, “I have something to show you”

Word count 300



© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712516-What-Paradox