*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711824-Story-of-Captian-Johnathon-Holms
Rated: E · Novel · Sci-fi · #1711824
Science fiction story, with a little bit of Mass Effect inspration.
Chapter 1: New beginnings.

Jonathan couldn’t move. Try as hard as he might, the bounds that held him were too firm. He had only woken up twenty minutes ago and the water, which was green and cloudy, burnt his eyes. The bubbles swirled around his body and out through his breathing mask. He was stuck inside a bio-containment unit, shaped like a giant glass tube. He started to scream and kick and thrash like a caught fish, trying to break free of his bonds, a series of small bubbles escaping his mask. A hologram of a blue woman in what looked like an expensive dress appeared on the outside of the tank and he calmed down. The woman appeared to be examining him.

“Captain? You’re awake? Thank god, the crew thought you were dead,” spoke the woman as she looked through the murky water of the tank. The hologram’s voice sounded calm and collected.
“You took a stray round to your helmet from Sanartan separatists and you were out, the crew only just brought you back to the ship and we had to strap you in the tank. You’ve been out for almost two weeks," the woman’s voice had an edge of concern, mixed with rational judgement. "I have to run some basic neurological tests in the form of questions to see if there is any permanent damage, ok? First question, do you know who you are?”
All Jonathan could do was muffle a few words through his breathing mask as a reply, but the words weren’t coherent.
“Right, sorry. I’ll release the mask and vent the water.”
The murky green water swished and gurgled its way down his body. Jonathan thanked god that he still had shorts on. Once the water had completely vented, which left a cold feeling behind, the pressure strap from his mask unbuckled. He gasped in what air he could, and wished he was not still restrained. He answered back at the holographic woman.
“I’m Captain Jonathan Holms and I command the H.S.C Aurora.”
“Correct Captain. Second test, do you know who I am?”
“Of course I do, Sera; you’re the flipping A.I who’s keeping me in this glass coffin!” Jonathan yelled back.
“Please refrain from using harsh language until after the examination, Captain,” Sera replied. “Last test. Can you identify your physical features?”
Jonathan started to tire of this tedious process, his wrists were burning and he felt cold being stuck in a glass tube in only his shorts.
“I’m 26 years old, 183 centimetres tall, and weigh 86 kilograms. I have light sandy coloured hair, cropped back, hazel eyes and slightly slanted eye slots, most of the crew call me ‘hawk-face’ for that reason and I have a birth-mark on my ass shaped like a love heart. God’s sake Sera, LET ME OUT!”
As soon as Jonathan uttered the words, his restraints loosened and he fell to the floor of the tank. He rubbed his wrists; they burnt like hell. The door of the unit opened and he stepped out, cold, shaken but somehow alive. He wandered around his cabin for a towel and spare change of clothes.

The Captain’s cabin was quite big, even on a capital ship like the Aurora. The cabin resembled the lower half of a capital ‘H’. The bio-containment unit was on the right side, along with the entrance and Jonathan’s study area. On the left was Jonathan’s bed, his wardrobe and the toilet in a separate area.
Jonathan fumbled around and quickly dried off and changed, clothes flying out of the closet until he found something to wear. He found a grey officer uniform with gold trim, with a hat to match, which he quickly pulled on.
Jonathan observed himself in the mirror.
“I look half decent, for being stuck in a tank for two weeks.”
Sera popped up next to him.
“Captain, 1st Lieutenant Miss Harrington requested to see you once you awoke.”
Jonathan raised an eyebrow.
“Miss Harrington? Since when did you calling Mia that, Sera?”


Sera responded, “She requested it two weeks ago, before your last mission where you almost died, I might add. You got drunk at her birthday party before the mission and tried to hit on her. We later found you passed out in the toilet.”
“Ah, yes. I think I should apologise for that. You made your point Sera, where is Mia?”
“Miss Harrington is currently giving a speech on the recent history of galactic relations in the lounge on deck 4.”
"Thanks, Sera."
Jonathan moved through the double set of doors on the right side of his room, and into a glass tube, similar to the bio-unit he was recently strapped in.
“The miracle of teleportation,” stated Jonathan.
“Indeed,” replied Sera.
The doors closed with a whoosh, and a bright flash of light, like a thousand photographers, moved Jonathan to another part of the ship.
© Copyright 2010 Vic Intus (skyrunner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711824-Story-of-Captian-Johnathon-Holms