*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712110-Daily-Flash-Fiction-September-29
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1712110
Daily Flash Fiction September 29
My fiftieth birthday was just around the corner and I wanted to do something whacky to celebrate. After all, fifty didn’t come along every day. Of course, neither did forty-nine, but there’s something about every tenth that we feel the need to acknowledge in a crazy kind of way.

I was looking through the store window considering perhaps the flower tattoo when I saw the reflection of the town busy-body; she was halfway across the street and headed right in my direction.

“Oh, you’re not considering one of those nasty things, are you?” she practically bellowed. “You’re putting your life in danger if you have them stick those needles into you.”

“Hello Linda.” I replied, doing my best to ignore her comments. “Out doing a little snooping today?” I added as I turned back to the window. I was tempted to waltz right in and have them etch a skull and crossbones on my butt right there in front of her; that would give her something to chatter about for the next few weeks.

As I turned to bid her farewell before she started up again I was shocked to see the tears sliding down her weathered cheeks. She was staring at the glass but I wasn’t sure what she was seeing.

“I have cancer,” she said as the tears continued their silent descent. “I just found out.”

Without thinking I wrapped her in my arms. All of a sudden fifty didn’t seem as important as it had earlier. A thousand thoughts began spinning but the one that kept jumping up was “what if it was me”?

“Linda, I heard that new bistro that just opened is quite nice. How about we share some lunch; maybe get to know each other. And let’s see what I can do to help.”
© Copyright 2010 cheryl losch (closch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712110-Daily-Flash-Fiction-September-29