*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712352-Daily-Flash-Fiction-Sept-30
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1712352
Daily Flash Fiction September 30
"You’re going the wrong way.”

Andrew stopped running and turned towards the voice. “I’m trying to get out, I don’t belong here."

“Of course you do.”

He looked at the man standing before him. “This is Heaven, right? And you’re what, an angel?” he added as he pointed at the soft-looking feathers cascading down from his shoulders.

“Yes.”

“And I don’t belong here. I’m not perfect. I haven’t done everything right, I’ve made mistakes. I should be at the other place, not here among angels.” He said, shaking his head his hands pointing downward.

The angel chuckled, “We’ve all made mistakes. The difference is, that those of us up here have accepted responsibility for them and have also learned and grown as a result. Not all have that ability. You do. And you made sure you fixed every mistake you made. Well most, there’s still that outstanding issue of the candy bars from Mitchell’s Variety when you were ten. You didn’t seem too concerned as you inhaled those babies while you rode your bike home.”

Andrew stared, his jaw slack. “You know about that?”

“You’d be surprised at what we see. And hear. You’ll experience it for yourself in time. That’s how we know who truly belongs. Oh sure, the other guy tries to recruit as many as he can, and he is at times quite successful I’m sorry to say. But overall we have more pull here; our numbers are good.”

Andrew wasn’t sure how to respond, it was a lot to take in, these ideas he had never considered. He was about to ask how they went about watching over everyone when he was overtaken by a sudden sharp back spasm.

“It won’t last long,” the angel told him. “Relax”.

Teeth clenched Andrew asked, “What is it?”

“Wings.”

© Copyright 2010 cheryl losch (closch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712352-Daily-Flash-Fiction-Sept-30