*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714568-New-Genesis-Ch-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1714568
Teenagers getting powers in a world forgotten by the first superheroes. What can go wrong?
The bell rang signaling the end of the period. Mark walked out of his science class. He went to his locker to get his books for history.
Mark was taller than most with brownish-blonde hair.
"Hey Mark"

Mark turn to see Josh walking towards him. Josh was of mid-height, brown hair and wore glasses. They had met in high school while they tried to survive Pre-Calc.

"Ready for class today?" Josh asked.
"Its the same every year."
"But its cool to keep thinking about it and trying to figure out what happened."
"Yeah but it gets boring after a while."

They walked down the stairs to their History class. They walked in and took their seats. The class was Mark's favorite. History had always fascinated Mark. However, today was not going to be fun. Mark talked with his friends that were in the class. The bell rang and Mark took his seat.

"Now you all know what today is but would anyone care to say it anyway?" asked Mr. Thorn.
Mr. Thorn was short and balding. He wore shirts to small for his round body.
After waiting for a hand to rise Mr. Thorn decided to call on a student.

"Mr. Martin. Will you tell us what day it is?"

Matt looked, sighed, and answered, "Its been 18 years since the world's superheroes locked themselves in their fortress."

"That is correct. And why did they lock themselves in Mrs.... Naritoku?

Leslie looked up not expecting to be called on. "Um.... Because they said that we didnt deserve to be protected."

"Yes. And what happened afterword Mr. Rubinkowski?"

"Crime rose exponentially. For the next five years wars against the mobs raged across the country. The president initiated martial law through the whole country. Mobsters were executed without due process and life is just starting to get to normal."

"That is good enough Mr. Rubinkowski. Now Mr. Cook are any places still under martial law?"

"Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and New Orleans I think."

"Correct now for your homework"
"Noooo." the students groaned.
"I want you to write a one page paper on what you think about the superheroes leaving society to live alone in their fortress. You may talk amongst yourselves quietly until the bell rings."

Mark, Josh, and Matt talked until the bell rang. Each went their own way to their next class. Mark walked up the stairs to his last class, Chemistry.

Mark was good at Chemistry but he wasnt the best. He didnt like the teacher that much. Needless to say he was glad when the bell rang ending the school day. Mark rushed out to his locker. He took what he had homework in and went to the commons. There he met up with his friends.

Blake,Tyler, Jessica, Michael Pham, Matt, Chewyy, Josh, Steven, Jessica, Zach, and Michael Loscher. They were all his friends. Jessica was the only girl in their group because she was a transfer. Her time at the school hadnt been the best she found friends in them. Each had their quirks which made them more interesting in her eyes. Another fact that made her hang out with them was the crush she had on Mark.

"So guys whats going on this weekend?" Mark asked.
"Well Blake wants to play Mafia." answered Steven.
"A group our size would be really fun!" exclaimed Pham.

They talked about what to do but they eventually they decided to go play Mafia at Blake's house.
They walked out and headed towards their cars. Mark was almost to his car before he saw trouble headed towards him.

"Hey Rubin. How are things goin?" said Zane followed by his possy.
Zane was the rich kid in the school. He had the best car and the best clothes. He was also a dick But no one messed with him because of one thing. His Dad. Even though most of the mobsters had died, Zane's dad had some how gotten through. He owned most of the buildings in town and all of the politicians were controlled by him.

"Nothin much Zane. Just going to a friends house."
"Thats cool Mark. How is the heap of junk driving?" Zane chuckled.

Marks car drove nice enough, it just didnt look nice. He didnt care but the fact that Zane was in front of him made him nervous. He didnt want any trouble.

"Its ok. I like it."
"Oh ok. Well nice talking to you." Zane looked like he was about to walk away before he turned and through a punch at Mark. He stopped it just short of hitting Mark but Zane had gotten what he wanted. Mark had flinched and covered his body.

Zane walked away laughing. "The look on his face!"

"Mark are you ok?"

Mark turned to see Jessica walking towards him.

"Oh hey Jessica. Yeah. He didnt scare me that much."
"Then why do you let him mess with you?"
"Because if I make him mad he will sick his group on me."
"Yeah but he's a jerk."
"I wish he would just leave our town and go to a big city."
"His dad might be bad but he isnt bad enough to get in to a place like Chicago."
"Yeah well are you still going to Blakes?"
"Yeah but my parents want me to be home early."
"Well that makes sense, today is important. Tomorrow is still going on right?"
"Yeah. It is"
"Six right?"
Yeah. Well see you at Blakes house."
"Yeah see you there."

Jessica left to get to her own car. Mark left in his car and arrived at Blakes house a few minutes later. For the next few hours, Mark and his friends played mafia. Mark forgot about Zane and everything he represented.

"Well see you guys tomorrow."
Mark left around 11. He got home just in time to say goodnight to his father. Mark headed into his room and sat down. This day always made him think about how his life could be different. Mark got ready for bed and before he closed his eyes he said
"Happy Brithday to me." and with that Mark went to sleep.
© Copyright 2010 Alucard (potsandpans at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714568-New-Genesis-Ch-1