*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714933-Mother
by kim
Rated: E · Short Story · Tribute · #1714933
Happy Birthday John-Flash Fiction entry 300 wds
Julia closed her eyes and pushed as she fought to ignore her pain and terror.  Seconds later the lights went out. She hoped it was a malfunction and not the prelude to a German air strike.

The nurse leaned over and wiped beads of perspiration from Julia’s brow as air raid sirens split the night.  “Pay them no mind, luv.  You’re as safe as houses with us.  Just keep pushing.” 

Julia pushed, now oblivious to everything that was going on around her.  She neither saw nor felt the explosions that tore through Liverpool that night.  Slowly, the stifling red pain subsided and she was able toclimb back into the world. 

“Any progress?”  A doctor pushed aside a flap of privacy curtain which shielded Julia and the nurse. 

The nurse checked Julia‘s pulse. “No complications and she’s coming along on schedule.  Her contractions are three minutes apart.”

Julia felt the next contraction starting.  It was only seconds before she was fully in its grip, the tearing pain threatening to split her in two.  The doctor moved to his place at the foot of the bed and the nurse held her hand as she pushed with all her might.  Then, suddenly, it was over. 

“A fine baby boy.”  The doctor beamed at Julia as he washed his hands in the basin. Then he turned to the obligatory paperwork.

His pen hovered above the certificate.  “Do you have a name Mrs.Lennon or should I leave this blank for the time being?”

Julia smiled,and gazed down at the new person she had brought into the world.  “We have a name all picked out.  John.  John Winston.  John Winston Lennon.

© Copyright 2010 kim (kimoff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714933-Mother