*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1715936-why-crows-have-shrill-voices
Rated: · Short Story · Animal · #1715936
A story why crows have shrill voices it is a short story and is very sweet.
Why Ravens Have Shrill Voices
by Elizabeth shayne


Crows are called ugly, their voices hoarse and shrill. They weren’t always like this. They once were smooth as silk . They were so kind and sweet. But because of this the other birds were quite jealous and thought there voices were so ugly compared to theirs that they would make fun of the crows and ignore them. This made the crows sad but tried their best to smile and sing the sweetest songs they could. Until the crows on a particular hurtfelt day decided to try to get the other birds to like them. Some suggested they make a beautiful song. But the other birds just laughed at them. The crows were use to this cruelty and shed no tear.Though they felt great grief they sang to get rid themselves of the sadness and smiled. But they still felt a desperation.

A nagging feeling grew, that they need to come up with a plan. It is important for our future, was all the crows were thinking. Maybe it was there animal instinct. Maybe it a premintion of sorts. But to no avail they couldn’t figure out a plan that would work. They could throw a feast celebrating friendship but of course the berries and worms they collected were taken by the other birds without a word of thanks. Then they tried to teach the birds where the best trees were to build there nests. Instead the crows got their nests kicked out of the trees.

They were growing more and more frustrated by the day. Especially a crow named Mur. Mur was brash and out spoken always getting his quite and shy friend Der in trouble. Mur was smart but his rash decision making caused him self to get into risky situations. His best friend Der would always help him get out of these situations because Der was the real brains of the bunch. He thought things over. He never did anything outrageous. But because he was so shy he’d never said much, so no one really thought too much about him, or what he had to say.


After having enough provocation from seeing all the crows hurt and depressed he decided to solve the problem once and for all. ”Attention all crows, meet me in one hour!” was all Mur said as he and Der flew away. While he knew there was great tension and a disaprooving look aimed directly at him .”Care to explain what that was back there was ?” Said Der. Now Der didn’t get an attitude much often but when he did he was down right viscous. And Mur has been the target of this attitude on more then one occasion. “Well I’m sick of the others trying to get approval!” stated Mur quite angrily. Which got him a chuckele that sent a shiver down Mur’s spine. Der was showing his dark side, which was a sadistic genius. ”Simple.” said Der ”what’s our problem with the other birds?” And then it hit Mur ,but maybe not quite hard enough. Because Mur was thinking of a plan to make the other birds like them. While Der was thinking of an idea to forget about them. Mur being the was a fool that he was decided to take on a different approach.

After the hour was up the crows gathered round anxiously. “We must cry until our voices are hoarse and shrill! Our voices wont be as pretty but all the other birds will like us because we will sound more like them” announces Mur. Der’s self satisfaction for making his friend come up with a good plan just disappeared as he heard “crying” which was more like ear shattering screaming. Before he knew it he was swept up with all the crows. They were with the other birds and the minute they opened there mouths came the most heart crushing sound there was known to anyone. Laughter signifying that they think the crows were so stupid. “Why wont you like us?!” cried the crows then the birds looked at themselves and thought of past actions. With a sneer of a smile they answered ”Because your voices were too beautiful. But now they are too ugly.”

The corws became very angry especialy at Mur. Mur who was a rash fool didn’t know what to say. Der would know a better way to deal with this situation. “It was my idea.” said Der sticking up for his friend. Mur looked at him with a look of relief. “GO!“ was what the crows shrieked at Der. With a wave of his wings gesturing good bye to his friend he decided to leave. Knowing all too well why crows have shrill voices. Der throw a sad look over his shoulder to see his friend speed after him. “Let’s go my good friend.” said Mur. After seeing this the crows made a vow to never be like the other birds again. They realized the birds would never like them no matter what they would have done. They decided never to be a flock of birds, they were a murder of crows in tribute to their friend Mur and Der.


© Copyright 2010 eisafue shayne (e.s.l at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1715936-why-crows-have-shrill-voices