*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717643-Untitled
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1717643
A story about a boy and a girl.
      I took her hand and led her through the streets. She followed blindly, putting complete faith in me to guide her through the snow-covered Chicago streets.
We had been dating for two spectacular years and I loved her with all of my heart. It was unfair really, she has had my heart to call her own since the first day that I met her but she didn't know it. I was forced to voyage through different levels of depression as I waited for an entire year before she finally realized I was the one for her.
I took her to a small coffee shop by the university of Chicago campus. We got hot-cocoa and sat by the frost-trimmed window. We talked about all of the wonderful memories that we have created in such a short time.
        My favorite memory is the day that I got her to sing to me. She had always been nervous of singing and refused to sing for anyone. I had been asking her to for months until one day she finally agreed to do it. Her voice was so beautiful my heart skipped a beat. With goosebumps all over and butterflies in my stomach I felt my eyes begin to tear up. I will never forget how gorgeous she was when she looked up at me after she finished the song. She had a look that seemed inquisitive for feedback.  She was so cute with her red cheeks. The only word that came to my mind was "wow".
I glanced outside and observed the winter life of the windy city. I witnessed a snow-ball fight between a brother and sister and saw a  first kiss, between a pretty girl with a guy who felt like the luckiest man alive, on a bridge over the frozen creek that ran through the campus park.
    I looked back at her and into her beautiful eyes. The way they sparkled in the light made me feel comfortable; I felt safe with her. Then she smiled. A simple enough action that occurs often but every time it melts my heart and I fall in love with her all over again. I took her hands and as sweet as I could be I whispered to her "You know I'm yours forever, right?"
As if she had already knew what I was going to say, with a smirk, she replied "I know."
We left the coffee shop and walked through the park just outside. The air was cool and crisp, showing our warm breath as we walked on. The ground was blanketed in inches of thick snow that shimmered in the winter sun. I bent down and grabbed a handful of the perfect packing snow and fashioned a snowball with it. She looked at me and as serious as she could be said "I swear to God if you throw that at me I will kick your butt!"
    Naturally, I did not hesitate to send the snowball flying right at her and with a splash of snow the battle was on. She proceeded to make her own snowball and with a smile I accepted her retaliation. With a flash of mock anger, a wave of snowballs flew my way and showered me in the cold powder that sent a chill running down my spine. We both laughed as she ran an jumped into my arms. I held her for a bit longer than the standard hug; I always have and probably always will. Something about her hugs makes the rest of the world fade away and it feels like it's just me and her. Nothing else matters and all I can do is smile.
I held her hand as we walked down the sidewalk towards the ice rink. A sign on the outside said "Closed for the night." I reached for the door and she looked at me, confused, as if I had completely missed the sign.
She asked "what are you doing?".
I winked and said "I know a guy."
    We walked in and there were already two pairs of ice skates on the bench waiting for us. Realizing what was happening she started to smile and get excited. "You didn't," she gasped as we stepped out onto the smooth ice.
"Come on," I said, as I took her hand and led her out into the middle of the ice.
With sweet music playing in the background we glided smoothly across the surface hand-in-hand. She looked so beautiful. She caught me looking at her and ask, "what is it? Why are you looking at me like that?" I didn't have an answer for her.  it wasn't that there wasn't a reason; it was because I didn't know how to put it into words. She left me speechless. Without saying an understated word I leaned over and kissed her softly on the cheek.
    I reached into my pocket with my damp, trembling hand and felt it; a small little black velvet-covered box. My heart began to beat fast and I could feel the adrenaline flow through my veins. Gracefully I skated ahead a little and turned around gliding backwards in front of her. With a confused voice she asked, "What are you doing?"
While still skating backwards, I said, "You are beautiful, intelligent, and you see right through me into my heart and know exactly what to say; You are a complete nerd, but you own it and make being nerdy cool. You smile at my cliché attempts to win your heart, when you've told me I already have it, and most important of all, when I'm with you the rest of the world fades away and all I can do is smile because I have the girl of my dreams..."
    I got down on one knee, still skating backwards in front of her. I could hear the air leave her lungs as I took out that little black velvet-covered box.
                                                                                        "Will you marry me?"
© Copyright 2010 James Saaristo (atimetoforget at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717643-Untitled