*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1718377-Lisas-Story
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1718377
Lisa is watching a horror movie, when she hears a loud banging from the kitchen...
         Lisa sits on the couch, the blanket wrapped around her tightly; she quivered in fear as she reached for more popcorn from the bowl sitting in her lap. She stared almost unblinkingly at the television, watching the new Nightmare on Elm Street. The movie was heading towards a scary part; she could tell by the increasing volume of music in the movie, she nearly screamed as she heard a loud bang, bang, bang come from the kitchen.

         Lisa reached forward for the remote quickly and pressed the pause button, she put the bowl of popcorn onto the coffee table in front of her and picked herself up, off the couch; bringing her blanket with her. Lisa stooped low as she walked, moving forward slowly; not wanting to find out what the noise in the kitchen was. As she moved closer, she jumped. The banging repeated itself, much more rapidly this time. She slid closer to the wall, wrapping her blanket more tightly around her as she rounded the corner into her small kitchen. She flicked on the light, expecting to see something gruesome.

         She sighed; and then almost cried in relief as she realized there was nothing out of the ordinary inside the kitchen. She looked at the window and frowned for a moment, the window stood wide open, allowing a cold blast of icy wind to move freely inside her house. She moved to the window to close it, thinking back to when she might have opened it earlier in the day.

        She shrugged as she reached forward, hand clasping the bottom of the window to drag it down; then she screamed. A hand, full of what seemed to be blood reached in and grabbed her hand. Her scream pierced the air, causing dogs nearby to start barking. Shortly after the hand grabbed her wrist a damaged face appeared in front of her. The look on the face appeared near hysteria, he wasn’t smiling, Lisa doubted he could; as he tried to speak, nothing but a gurgle came out of his mouth, followed by blood spilling from his lips. Suddenly his eyes went wide, he coughed up more blood and his hand loosened its grip on her wrist.

      The man slid slowly down the wall, his hand slowly sliding from Lisa’s view and leaving a trail of blood behind on the windows ledge. Lisa stood terrified, unsure what to do. That’s when she noticed a person standing almost directly behind where that man had been; the man slid his knife across his blood-stained shirt to wipe some of the fresh blood off the blade. His eyes were wide, his teeth glittering in the light from Lisa’s kitchen as he smiled at her and raised the blade once more.

      Lisa, still standing where she was, not completely sure of what just happened, or what might come to happen in the next moments; the man started walking towards her, as he walked closer the light started covering his body, revealing to Lisa the scars that covered his face. His dark hair, matted and covered in a liquid of some sorts, hung low onto his shoulders. His nose was angled to one side, telling anyone else but Lisa, that he had broken his nose before.

      This is when Lisa snapped back to life, she screamed as she slammed the window down she heard a sickening crunch as she realized the dead man’s fingers were still sitting there. She pushed the fingers off the windows ledge and closed the window tight and locked it. By the time Lisa shut the window the murderer was standing right in front of her, separated only by the thin pane of glass. The murderer was still smiling wide, his teeth crooked and his face splashed with gore.

         

        She backed away from the window quickly, darting across the kitchen to bolt the door. From there, she ran to the front door and bolted that too. She stopped for a second, her breathing hard; she wouldn’t have time to go and lock each window in the house. She jumped again and whimpered softly as she heard a crack of metal hitting glass in the kitchen. A thought struck her, she ran to the phone and picked it up, her shaking fingers mashing the numbers 9-1-1. She stood there, the space between each ring seemed to take forever, she flinched each time she heard another cracking noise from the kitchen.

      “911, what’s your emergency?” a female voice spoke into the receiver.

      "Hello? Hello?” Lisa spoke frantically.

      “Ma’am calm down please,”

      “Th-there i-” The phone went dead. That’s when she noticed the eerie silence that had enveloped the house. The seconds ticked away, the phone still held to Lisa’s ear, she couldn’t believe what had just happened. Surely they would still come right?

      A loud crashing sound from the kitchen and the sound of broken glass tinkling onto the floor told Lisa the murderer had finally gotten into the house. She ran to the front door, thinking that she may be able to get outside while he is in the other side of the house. Her fingers clumsily unbolted the door and she ran through, only to hit a solid surface. She backed up, terrified and stared at the surface. It was a person standing there. Lisa gasped, but he just made it inside the window. She recognized the face; it was the murderer, standing right in front of her. From the kitchen there were footsteps moving through the glass, causing it to tinkle on the floor.

        Shaking, Lisa took a deep breath and ran into the hallway of the house, leading away from the kitchen and the doorway. She ran up the polished brown staircase to go upstairs, she realized a second too late that it was probably a very unwise decision. She whipped open the first door she encountered, knowing it to be the spare bedroom. She stopped as she noticed a small child standing there, his clothing ripped slightly and his short hair was matted. Half of his face was destroyed; gore covered where skin should have been, revealing his teeth while his mouth was still closed.

        His dark eyes twinkled in an eerie way and he spoke in a high pitched voice, “Mommy…Help me. The bad men are in the closet…” As the boy said that, the closet door sprung open releasing dead bodies that fell to the ground, maggots and other bugs scurried off of the decaying bodies. Lisa turned her head and vomited over the carpet, the sound of liquid splashing onto the floor making her sicker causing her to heave again.

        She looked back at the boy and he was rapidly decaying right in front of her eyes, his hair growing grey and falling out as his face started to shrivel and wrinkle. His legs shook below him before a crack as they broke from beneath him, sending him sprawling onto the floor. He quickly turned grey and turned to a pile of dust and bits of bone.

        Tears were streaming from Lisa’s eyes; she choked and was about to sit down and cry when there was loud footsteps coming up the stairs.

© Copyright 2010 OptimisticBubble (optimisticme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1718377-Lisas-Story