*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719056-The-First-Time
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1719056
Daily Flash Entry
It was 1913. Thoughts of the war just over a year away were thoughts no one would dream of having that summer. All Thomas could think about was the surprise he was about to share with his wife.

He had been saving for almost eleven months, working extra shifts at the bank and helping out his friend Larry Jackson at the lumber yard. There weren’t a lot of people in town yet that had their own Model T and Thomas was proud that at not quite thirty years old was going to be a car owner himself.

He hated that his wife Mary had to walk to work. There weren’t many women in town that held down jobs but Mary had lost her parents at a young age due to disease and vowed then and there to do what she could to help so that other children didn’t have to experience what she did. She had been a nurse at the local hospital now for five years, ever since she graduated from nursing school over in Westlake Township.

“Where are we going, Thomas?”

“Keep your eyes closed, just a few more minutes and we’ll be there.”

Thomas’ neighbour was in on the surprise and had offered to drive them over to the dealership.

Thomas helped his wife out of the vehicle and led her over to their new one. “Open your eyes honey, Happy Anniversary.”

She looked in shock at what stood before her; a new car complete with red bow and ribbon. “Oh Thomas. Oh my goodness. This is ours?”

“Yes,” he replied with a wide smile.

“I have my own little anniversary surprise for you. I’m glad to see that little back seat; in eight and a half months we’re going to need it. Happy Anniversary Thomas.”




© Copyright 2010 cheryl losch (closch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719056-The-First-Time