*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720252-Make-a-Wish
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1720252
Is it possible to have too much of a good thing?
Is it possible to have to much of a good thing? Sandy breathed deeply, taking in the familiar smells of home. She enjoyed the smell of baking bread as it fills the house. The faint smell of her husband’s cologne lingered in the air. She was content, everything she had ever wanted she had received. Sandy had never known sadness. She had a wealth of friends, happy and healthy parents and an intelligent sexy man whom she loved. Waiting for her husband to come home, she prepared for the conversation she wanted to have. She didn’t know how she was going to tell Phil she’s ready to start a family. She could feel the butterflies in her tummy, where a baby will eventually grow. She could hear Phil’s car pull into the driveway. A few deep breaths from Sandy, a quick wish spoken under her breath and she was ready. She went to greet Phil at the door. As she pulled it open she relaxed as she saw a huge smile spread across his face at the sight of her. He came in, closed the door and turned to give his wife a hug.

“How was work?”

“Long”. He bent over to give her a lingering kiss. Sandy thought “this might be easier than I anticipated.” Phil pulled away and cupped her face between his hands, looking into her eyes he said “I want to talk about us having a baby”. Taken aback by his statement, but wanting the same thing, Sandy didn’t know how to react “o…ok” she stammered, pleased that Phil was on the same page as her but confused as to how he got there.

With dinner prepared and on the table she lead Phil into the dining room. It was a pleasant dinner, Phil retelling his day and Sandy talking about hers. Watching news and heading to bed it was a quiet evening, which gave Sandy plenty of time to gather her thoughts. “Maybe it is possible to have too much of a good thing”, Sandy thought as she got ready for bed. “How have I always been able to get what I want? As soon as I make a wish it’s granted. Do I have a genie? Am I a genie?” Chuckling to herself and shaking her head at such an absurd though she wondered though what it could be that allowed all her dreams to come true, “Maybe I’m just a positive thinker”. The more she thought about it the more she realized that it wasn’t just her dreams, but growing up watching her mom always get what she wanted and needed, she just though it was an “adult thing” and never thought more of it, until now.

Phil knew something was wrong; he walked over, stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. Phil had already assumed Sandy was upset and suspected it was because of the bomb he dropped, he didn’t want to interrupt her thoughts but needed to know “what’s wrong sweetheart? Are you upset by what I said earlier?”

Lost in her own thoughts, Sandy turned and smiled at Phil, “no, no, you know I want a baby too, I was just thinking about my parents. I wish they were back from their vacation, I miss Mom”.

Phil smiled and nodded he kissed Sandy and got into bed.

Sandy closed the closet door just as the phone began to ring. “Hello?” Sandy answered knowing it would be her mom because that is who she hoped it would be.

“Hi honey, we’re home from our vacation, but you already knew that didn’t you?”

“Mom, I don’t understand, what’s going on?”

“Don’t worry honey, it’s a part of who you are, one day I’ll tell you when it’s time. I wish you wouldn’t worry about it. You won’t remember any of this in the morning. The sun will come up and tomorrow is a new day. Good night!”


Don't forget to check out my blog - http://cgreyes.wordpress.com/
© Copyright 2010 Crystal Reyes (cgreyes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720252-Make-a-Wish