*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1721381-The-Ride-Home
Rated: E · Short Story · Teen · #1721381
A story about a teenage boy having trouble and the role his sister plays in helping him
One by one, the kids arrived. Jason scooted back to the wall behind them, and pulled his hoodie tighter. A better place to view, he lifted his head, and dared to look. His classmates gathered into groups. The girls with too tight of clothing flirted with popular boys. The brilliant junior achievers talked about some subject no normal person cared about, and the average kids hung out. None of them paid any attention to him, as if he didn’t exist. All were innocent, and not worthy of his concern.

The minutes ticked away with what seemed like an eternity. His eyes continued to search for the others, but he couldn't see them. Only a couple more minutes, maybe, just maybe, he held his breath.

Finally he heard the familiar sound. As the bus climbed up the steep hill, Jason looked down the road as the yellow blur approached. He wiped the tears from his eyes, the bus became clearer, and closer until its brakes squeaked to a stop.

The door opened. Kids scrambled up the steps. Jason waited until the crowd cleared. Then, and only then, he crept up the steps onto the bus.

Down the aisle, the back of the bus called his name. The eyes all around watched him. He ignored them, and continued down the aisle to the safe haven. Only a few steps taken, he stumbled. He felt the eyes again, and stopped. The long walk down the aisle lost its appeal, he searched for an empty seat.

Pow. His arm stung. "Now what?" he mumbled. Jason whirled around to face his attacker. He pulled his fists into balls prepared to fight.

"I got you! Whatcha got big boy!" she cried.

Jason unballed his fists and rubbed his sore arm up and down. "Scoot over," he said.

"No way Jose!"

He sat down anyway, halfway on his little sister. Five years younger than he was, and quite the little pistol, he braced himself for her reaction.
"Stop!" she screamed.

Jason noticed the bus driver’s glare as the shrill scream pierced his ears. He must take control of the situation. "Jessie, move. Or I'll pummel you", he warned.

She squirmed out from underneath the 140 pound teenager. "Meanie. I don't like you." Jessie moved to the window. She left a large space between her big brother and her, and fixed her eyes onto the cars on the road.

Another few minutes, Jason failed to see it coming, his attention on his sister. Outside three kids ran to catch the bus. The trio slipped onto the bus at the last second. As Jason watched her, they walked to the back of the bus.

The moment they sat down, the bus pulled out of the turnout in front of the high school. It chugged down the road towards the first stop. The clatter of the old school bus, the purr of cars which drove on the road calmed Jason.

He watched the spiked hair tomboy. Jessie's temper tantrums never lasted long. He scooted towards her.
She turned and flashed her green eyes at him. "Go away", she warned.

"Ah, come on Jess. I needed somewhere to sit"

Her eyes glued to the window, "Say you're sorry or I won't talk to you"

"What are you doing here anyway? Don’t you have soccer practice?” he asked.

"Say you're sorry" she demanded.

"Geez, okay. I'm sorry. What about soccer today?"

"Cancelled" she muttered.

She turned to look at him, "What do you care?" she started to say. Then she cocked her head, and focused in on his face. She said nothing. Her face twisted, the angry look disappeared.

"What?" he asked.

"Your eye, what's wrong with your eye?" She reached towards his face, just inches away. He caught her wrist and held it.

"Ow. Let go of me" Another flash in her eyes.

"No," he said. He looked at her face. No indication of the fire she possessed, her other half gazed back at him.

"I won't hurt you, I promise" she said.

He released her wrist, and said “Be gentle.”

She reached again. This time Jessie lightly touched next to his eye.

She pulled back the hoodie, and said "Ohhh no."

"What? Is it bad?"

"Blood. I see blood.”

"Put the hood back, Jessie," he ordered.

“But …” she paused, and then started again “I, you, I mean…”

“Please, just put the hood back.”

Squeaaaak. The bus driver eased the brakes to slow down. It stopped. She pulled the hoodie back over his head. Just in time, as a few kids filed one by one to the front of the bus. The door opened, and they bolted off the bus. Behind the brother and sister, a trio of boys moved from the back of the bus to two seats behind them.

Once again the bus started. It chugged up the hill towards stop number two. The brakes squeaked to a stop, same as always. A few more kids filed by, and walked out the door. The bus half empty now chugged along to the next stop.

"Jason, what happened to you?" she said, as she continued to stare at her brother.

"Nothing." he grumbled.

"I won't tell Mom, I promise."

"Don't worry about it." he said

She slipped her teeny arm across his neck, and leaned her head against his shoulder.

"Thanks" he whispered.

The brother and sister sat in silence together. Jason let his eyes wander across the aisle to the couple who sat there. The girl’s full breasts peeked out of her shirt, but he imagined more, much more. She flipped her long, blonde straight hair as she gazed at her boyfriend. The boy put his arm around her, stared directly into Jason’s eyes, and whispered something he couldn’t quite hear. It reminded him of earlier in the day, although this boy seemed alright.


This morning, another girl caught his eye. She sat next to him in Biology, his partner in labs, in fact. A smart girl, with long, brown curly hair, he saw her in the hallway that morning. He waved at her. She smiled and mouthed “Hi” to him.

The boy who stood next to her, grabbed her shoulders and pulled her back hard. He heard the boy say, “What do you think you’re doing?” He couldn’t hear her answer, but she turned around, and faced him. Her hands on her hips, her mouth moving a mile a minute, she turned into another girl, not the one he knew. And then it happened. The boy’s hand went back in slow motion, and flew forward and struck her cheek. She turned, and tried to run. “Don’t you dare”, he yelled, and then he yanked her hair and body along with it.

Within seconds, Jason found himself in front of them. Her eyes clouded with tears, the boy’s face hard as a rock. No choice. Next thing he knew, he saw himself push the boyfriend out of the way. A crowd gathered, and he swept her to safety. He felt a light kiss on his cheek. A beautiful girl grateful for his heroic measures, all seemed right with the world. Until later, that is.

His thoughts interrupted by an abrupt stop. He saw the girl and the boy get up, and walk off the bus. The bus made its way into the country, only a few more miles to their house on acreage. Jason looked around the bus. Only a couple of other kids rode the bus until the last stop. He counted five. Two seats behind him sat three boys. They did not belong. Their heads down, he couldn’t see their faces.

"Oh no." he whispered. "I think they're here"

"Who?" Jessie asked.

He took her arm off his shoulder, and said, "You know who."

Her eyes widened, she put her arm through his. "I'll help you." she said

Jason laughed. "Thanks, Jess. But, no I won't let you do that. It’s my problem, I'll handle it.

She pulled his arm tighter. "I'm not afraid."

"You should be. No, I have a plan." Jason bent down to her ear and whispered, "when I tell you, I want you to run as fast as you can. Don't stop. Go inside the house, lock the door, and call dad."

"But, Jason."

"It’s okay. Just get dad to help me. It'll be fine." He unhooked her arm from his, and put his arm around her. He gave her a big hug, and whispered, "You must do as I say. I will not let them hurt you. It's my job to protect you."

The bus slowed down as it chugged up the final hill. Jessie looked up at her big brother, and said "Okay, I'm with you. I'll listen."

The brakes squeaked as they reached the top of the hill. One half mile from their house, all he needed to do, tell her to run. Best of all scenarios, Dad waited for her to get home. The bus stopped.

"Jessie, in front of me now" he said

She squeezed in front of him, he moved his legs up to let her pass. Jessie stood in the aisle, Jason got up behind her.

"Okay Jess, keep walking." He demanded with no wavering of his voice. “Try to act normal, like any other day.”

She walked down the aisle to the bus driver. With a big smile, she said "Bye! See you tomorrow."

Jason followed her down the steps. He heard the trio behind him. They made their presence known with every step. He held firm, his body steady even with the bumps from behind him.

"Jessie," he whispered. "As soon as you walk out the door, scream at me to chase you. Don't look back. Just run like I told you to."

"I love you bro, bro." she said

Jason smiled. He murmured under his breath, “I’m counting on you.”

She stepped out of the bus, onto the asphalt below. "Jason, I'll race you. Let's go!" and she ran off. He watched her, smiled, as she bolted down the road.

He yelled, "I'm right behind you" as he felt the first blow to his head.

He turned around to face them. Funny how he brought backup. He managed to blurt out, "What do you want?

All three surrounded him. One push, another and another.

He looked the main offender in the eyes, and pushed him hard. He stumbled back one step, and then another. No time to laugh, Jason focused on the incoming blow.

The biggest of the three’s fist connected with his gut, he buckled. They stepped back, but he did not fall. He heard one of the bullies say, "Hit him again."

Jason stood up straight, "Three against one, wow you guys are tough." Uh maybe not the right thing to say, dizzy he felt dizzy. Jason fell on his back.

The three bullies stood over him, "Maybe he's done. I think that's enough" said one.

"No. Hit him again”

Jason opened his eyes. He sat up, struggled to stand up, and said, "That's right. Make me remember it took three of you. I'd rescue her again from the likes of you."

"Got to admit, he's got guts." another one said.

"Hit him" the third said.

Boom, another hit into the stomach. Jason fell again. Just as he struggled to open his eyes, he heard it. A horn blared, as if it was stuck on. His dad, it must be his dad. His eyes opened, he saw the trio step back.

"What the ?" he heard them say. Then he heard the sirens. They called 911 too? Wow that kid, he owed her. He sat up to see Jessie, she threw her arms around him. "Are you okay? Dad was there, he called 911, and we came as fast as we could."

Jason hugged her back, "I love you too dork."

© Copyright 2010 rindaroo (rindaroo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1721381-The-Ride-Home