*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729765-My-little-girl
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1729765
A story about my daughter and her amazing smile
Each day I punch the timeclock, walk to my car and drive home. The same drive each and every day. The moment I get home and open the door, chaos surrounds me.

"Mom, what's for dinner?" they ask in unison.

"Give me a minute you two. I just walked in the door."

"Oh alright, but I'm hungry" the big one said. "Come on," he said to his little sister.

A minute is all she gave me, just enough time to put my purse down on the table.

"Can I put your coat away Mom?"

"No that's okay. I've got it," I said as I reached for the hanger

"Mom, I played football with the boys today. You should have seen it, I made 2 interceptions, and we played real tackle football. Can you believe it?" my little tomboy said.

As I began dinner, I said " Too cool, sweetheart. But are you allowed to play tackle at school?" A few moments went by, and no answer. I looked over at her, and said "Well?"

Straight faced she says, "Uh, yeah", and then I saw that smile start. It began with her lips and slowly covered her entire face, and into her eyes. That smile, it melted hearts. Maybe I'm prejudiced, she's my little girl.

She laughed. "No one saw us"

I imagined my little girl and the 4th grade boys in a game of tackle football. She admitted they snuck a couple minutes at a time, when they weren't watched by the teachers. It seemed like a big sneaky thing to her. Oh, to be 10 years old.

Dinner almost ready, I handed her the napkins and silverware. "So, you had fun?

"Oh Mom, it was way better than normal", she said. "no flags, tackle is way better!"

Her megawatt smile spread across her face. I couldn't help myself, that smile was contagious. I smiled too.




© Copyright 2010 rindaroo (rindaroo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729765-My-little-girl