*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1721553-Light-in-the-dark
by Azrael
Rated: E · Other · Psychology · #1721553
Unfinished. Just a story I'm writing
Drake.
         I’ve always been afraid of the dark. Ever since I was a child, I saw things. Maybe everyone else saw them too but they never left my mind. I’m not sure what to call them; glowing eyes, fireflies, maybe even fairies? I never decided which and to this day I see them. Not them, it. I believe the same… thing has been visiting me every night for as long as I can remember. In every dark room I imagine it’s there.
         I know what you’re thinking. Don’t even say it. I’m not insane. I’m NOT insane….





Ba-dump. Ba-dump. My heart was racing at about the speed of my car, which had just reached ninety and still climbing. The sun had set and I wasn’t home. Oh God. In the corners of my eyes streetlights glared, causing me to sweat. Each light made me paranoid and jumpy. My hair stuck to my face, my clothes were tightening around my body. My breath came in huffs, as if I were running.
         Finally, the driveway pulled into view. I sighed with relief, silently laughing at how ridiculous I must look. But I’m not insane.
Although sometimes I wish I were, then at least I’d know what was happening. I took deep breaths as I waited for my motion detector lights came on. As soon as they came on I dashed out of the car, thrust my key into the lock and quickly shut the door behind my back. Instantly all the lights came on. Finally relief washed over me. I sank into my comfort zone (aka: the couch). It was getting late but I was far from tired. As my adrenaline died down, I realized my stomach had been trying to get a hold of me and had only gotten angrier as I ignored it. It was time to answer. I wasn’t the type to cook much, so I just heated up a frozen dinner. Warm food always made me sleepy.
          As I got ready to sleep I chewed on licorice, which always seemed to occupy my mouth this time of night. Some call it a nervous habit, but surely I don’t have those. I flicked on the Christmas lights that lined my walls, tested each flashlight on my nightstand, and once satisfied that everything was in order I turned off the normal lights. The darkness swept on but stopped at the Christmas lights. I decided tonight was the night I was going to catch this... this thing in the act! The idea made me shiver; with joy or anxiety I wasn’t sure. Somewhere between the joy and anxiety I dozed off…


Light. I felt it sliding across my face. The realization hit me, I jumped up ready to pounce….. only to find morning sun dancing in my face. I screamed. I missed it again. Maybe it didn’t even come this time… No, of course it came. It wouldn’t dare miss a night of haunting me. Disappointment filled me, and how I longed to lay in bed for hours, but that dream was interrupted by a knock on the door. I knew who it was before I even got to the door.
         “Luce.” I answered. Her worried stare indicated I looked tired.
         “Drake… How are you feeling?” she approached me cautiously, and was switching her weight from side to side.
© Copyright 2010 Azrael (glass_gargoyle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1721553-Light-in-the-dark