*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1724365-Broken-Tears-8
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1724365
Amanda and her mother have words.
Broken Tears 8

Amanda took her time getting off the bus. She seemed to be sauntering down the aisle and enjoying the attention that she was getting.

“Miss Willis. This is the third time that you were the last one on the bus. I am writing you up and letting you know that the next time, I will be leaving you behind. Tell your mother that she will have the honor of waiting for you if you are late.” said the bus driver sternly.

“Oh no you won’t. I had to get someone to help me with my locker. And you know that I can always tell someone that you smoke during the time you drive us. “ she said as she looked at the students sitting behind the driver and winked.

“Yea.” Coughed Cory several times. “I have asthma and that cigarette smoke is making me ill.”

The bus driver turned around and glared at Cory and his buddy Kami. The boys both started coughing and then broke out in a hysterical laugh.

Amanda shrugged her shoulders and hopped down the bus steps. She walked up to the house on the sidewalk and past her mother who was standing on the steps outside the doorway. Without stopping to say anything she closed the door in her mother’s face. Mrs. Willis stood on the steps for a few seconds and then opened the door to go into the house. The bus slowly started down the street where it stopped at the corner for the stop sign. The bus driver looked both ways and then checked his mirror to look at the students left on the bus. As he did so, the two boys had scraps of paper rolled up and pretended to be smoking.

“Very funny,” he thought. “I’ll be watching those goons and will have the pleasure to see them off my bus.”

Amanda walked through the living room to put down her books and then went into the kitchen to get a snack to eat.

“Amanda. I emailed you to let you know that you had a doctor’s appointment today.”

“I’ve decided that I do not want to go.” she said as she popped the top of a diet soft drink.

“Yes, you must go Amanda. You have lost a lot of weight and “ Mrs. Willis said as she walked up to her daughter and tried to put her hand on Amanda’s shoulder.

“That’s my business. I like my new, svelte figure. I’ll be the prettiest girl in school and I will do what I want.” Amanda stepped back and turned around as if she were a model on a runway.

“Not really Amanda. You can have all kinds of health problems if you become underweight.”

“I don’t want to look like you, mother. You look fat like a pig.” Amanda made a face that showed her disgust at her large mother.

“Amanda, I have been recovering from the car accident that I hurt my back in. I have not been able to go to the gym or exercise.” Mrs. Willis put her purse on the table and looked hurt.

“Oink-oink. You look like a pig.” sang Amanda as she started back into the living room.

“Amanda. If you do not get in the car now, I am going to call Grandmamma and tell her to cancel that dress she was going to pay for, for you to wear at your prom.”

Amanda turned around and stared at her mother with the meanest look of anger on her face. “You wouldn’t dare. That dress will be the talk of the prom.”

“Just get in the car and go to the doctor’s office. I am very concerned about your health.” her mother said. “The choice is yours.”

Amanda seemed to be thinking her options. Her face changed as she appeared to have the answer. “I’m so busy with lots of homework. Can we change the appointment to tomorrow?”

“Promise you’ll be on time and ready to go?” she asked as she wrung her hands together.

“Oh sure.”

“I’ll call to see if there is any time for you tomorrow.” Mrs. Willis walked over to the phone to dial.

“Gee thanks mother.” replied Amanda sweetly. “And you are not a pig. I’m sorry.”

“Thank you.” Mrs. Willis listened for the ringing of the phone.

Amanda hurried out of the kitchen and rushed up the stairs to her room. As she ran up the stairs she snorted and whispered, “Oink-oink! Piggy, piggy piggy! Ha-ha-ha-ha! Guess whose car is going to have problems tomorrow.” At the top of the stairs Amanda did a little dance and then turned to go into her room.

Mrs. Willis sighed with relief when she was able to reschedule Amanda’s appointment. She hoped that her daughter would keep her word and be on time. As she hung the phone up, she experienced a new set of pain in her back. She gasped for air and slowly moved to the cabinet where she kept her medicine. As she took one of her pain pills, she prayed that her only problem in the future would be a recovery from a broken set of ribs and a fractured vertebrae. She sat down slowly and tried to wish her pain away. Tears came slowly from her eyes.

Amanda flung herself on her bed and began the ritualistic dream of her prom. She was being escorted by none other than the wonderful Schuller Armstrong. Among the onlookers, was poor little Caroline with the ugliest dress on. Amanda and Schuller floated by Caroline and her incredibly pathetic looking friends. They curtseyed to the most handsome and beautiful looking couple ever to go to a prom in history. As the couple passed Caroline, Amanda looked down at her and whispered, “I won!” Caroline started to cry and hurried out of the student filled ballroom. Amanda strolled on and began to laugh to herself. It was going to be the beginning of the best part of her life.
© Copyright 2010 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1724365-Broken-Tears-8