*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727261-The-Brave-and-Only-Finley
by Emmie
Rated: E · Other · Contest · #1727261
November's "What a Character" contest.
It was a nice, hot summer day, with just a bit of a breeze coming from the lake. Finley, his little sister, Riley, and their mother, Addie, were all in the car, on the way to their local ice cream parlor. Finley and Riley were so excited, for the ice cream parlor had just recently opened up. Finley was around 13 years old, which explained why he wasn't jumping around in the back seat like his little sister, who was 9 years old.



Riley and Finley usually got along pretty well. Finley always watched out for Riley, and was nearly her protector, except Riley never quite noticed. Addie was in the front, driver's seat, while Finley and Riley were in the back. Their mother hummed along softly to the music playing on the radio. Riley was telling Finley all about her sleepover last night, and Finley pretended to be interested.



Suddenly, there was the high-pitched squealing of tires on the paved road. Finley heard a little scream, and a gasp. It took him a bit to figure out that the gasp was his mother's, and the little girl-y scream was his sister's. They got hit head on by a truck. Finley was dazed, and was bleeding a ton, but he was still alive. Sadly, though, he doubted that there was any chance for his mother to have survived. He was pretty sure Addie had died nearly instantly. But then he thought about someone else: RILEY.



Finley tried to get out, but the vehicle had rolled over, and was currently upside down. But he HAD to get out. He was going to save his sister.

          Though he was in terrible, terrible pain, and could barely move his legs, Finley forced himself to unbuckle. Panicking, he looked around the car: his dead mother was there, and Finley couldn't stand to look at her. It was absolutely disgusting. Finley couldn't find his sister.



He somehow managed to get out of the car. He was very difficult, especially for the poor state his body was in. He limped around outside of the car, desperately searching for his sister. Then he heard a quiet little moan. About four yards away was his sister's limp little body. Finley figured she must have been thrown out of the car during the crash. But she was alive!

          Finley limped as quickly as he could over to Riley. How could he have let this happen? Was she going to survive? Could the doctors save her? A million thoughts zipped right through Finley's head.



Right now, Finley didn't even care about his own self, about his own health; he just wanted his sister to be alright. She was going to be able to get some ice cream.

          Then he heard the sound of sirens. It was an ambulance! They were going to save Him and his sister! Before he knew, Finley was being forced into the back of the ambulance, along with his sister. She was moaning in pain, but very much alive.

They were going to be okay.
© Copyright 2010 Emmie (emmieleigh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727261-The-Brave-and-Only-Finley