*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727693-Christmas-With-Erika
by Emmie
Rated: E · Other · Activity · #1727693
It was going to be an entry for a contest- I couldn't figure out how to enter...go figure
The reason my favorite holiday is Christmas is not because of the presents, the lights, or anything like that. The reason Christmas is my favorite is because I love to sing the Christmas songs. I have a great singing voice. Sometimes I just wander around the neighborhood with friends and family singing Christmas carols. It might sound cheesy, but it's actually really fun. Especially when I get the solo.



Usually we start out with Feliz Navidad, because that's my favorite Christmas song. I have a friend in Colombia, more like a penpal, and we always send each other letters, even Christmas cards. Her name is Erika, and she speaks Spanish, so that's what it said on the card: Feliz Navidad. I can picture Erika, running throughout her neighborhood, singing Christmas carols, just like us. That's probably the highlight of her Christmas, because I'm guessing her parents can't afford to buy many presents , or maybe none at all, for their childrens' Christmas. You see, we don't just write letters- my parents also send them money each month. I think about 30 dollars.

          They are a poor family, but it's not really their fault. Their whole country is poor, for Colombia is a developing country, unlike ours, the United States. We have so many advantages over them, over their whole country. Sometimes I feel bad that I don't really show my appreciation towards everything I have.



We are now singing the song "We Wish You a Merry Christmas", and once that's over, we all decide that's it's getting late, so we should probably be done caroling. Everyone goes their separate ways, back to their own houses. Once my family and I get back home, I run right up to my room and get out a pen and a piece of paper. At the top of the paper I write:



Dear Erika,



and I can't help but smile, picturing her running around with family and friends, singing Feliz Navidad, laughing and having a great time.
© Copyright 2010 Emmie (emmieleigh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727693-Christmas-With-Erika