*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727375-Difference-between-support-and-taking-it
Rated: 13+ · Article · Other · #1727375
Defining the difference between support and taking over someone elses responsibility.
I met this awesome man a little over two years ago. He was two and a half years clean. All it took is one needle, then two, then three. He was clean until he turned to his old friends. He found what gives him his power, he found what makes him feel good once again. But just "once," once, that is all it takes. Not even one drink, half of a beer, one puff, just one needle is all it takes for an addict. I didn't know he was one until he relapsed. Rather, we who watch afraid, or who know, don't tell who we know what it does to the people we love. It destroys lives, marriages, families, friends etc.

No matter what you tell them, an addict won't hear you. Some need to fall way down to rock bottom before they can get up again. I fell in love with this man and after I saw it, I didn't know what it was, or what it is, all I knew is it wasn't pretty. I also knew it wasn't a game. He started at a very young age, and that took him in the wrong direction.

So, for the youngsters who are out there, if you are using Meth, or not using Meth and watching your friends do it, don't let your friends take their life away. Tell an adult, because when you use there are only three choices: "To live free, to be locked up, or to die young."

I have never touched a drug in my life, but I have seen it, I hung around people who did it, and I have seen their lives. We are still together, but with support and a little positive in our lives. They have courage to get back up and start over, because every individual is their own "Higher Power."

I am just starting to realize that I didn't help him by trying to safe him, but it just made it worse by giving him and getting him out of situations that he got himself into. It does take tough love sometimes in order for someone to take their own life in control. By helping recovering addicts they would always think no matter what I do someone can get me out of it. If we don't give them that chance of taking themselves into control and do what they feel like will better their lives, they will never get better. I love him and I support him in his recovery, but it took me a while to learn to let him concentrate on himself and me to concentrate on me because our lives can't be unhappy just because someone is not happy in their life. I was pulled down in many directions and I seen it and been around it. The way to support someone is being their for them when they attend NA/AA meetings, encourage them by saying a word or two , or three about something that is positive that they did that day, go together or with a family to a counselor for a session or two. Take them around clean and sober friends let them see that they can have a good time by going to movies, or other activities.
© Copyright 2010 Sneshinka (sneshinka at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727375-Difference-between-support-and-taking-it