*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727653-The-Accident
Rated: E · Other · Drama · #1727653
Louise's husband has been in a car accident. How will she and others cope with the news?
Louise had been at work making idle chatter when her mobile phone rang.

"Hello?"

“Are you Louise Walsh?” A grim voice said.

“Yes.” She replied hesitantly.

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but your husband, Andrew, was in an accident with five other cars.” The man said. “He’s alive,” The man added quickly, sensing her shock. “But he’s injured. We'd like it if you could come quickly.”

After the phone call, Louise hurried over to the hospital. The doctors told her they were finding out the extent of his injuries. How injured was he? Where was he injured? How serious was his condition? She didn’t know. She sat in the waiting room, trying to divert her attention with magazines. However, her mind kept going to Andrew. There were six other victims of the car accident, so Louise supposed that they were taking first priority. She didn’t mind that, but she wished the staff would just her. After an hour, but to Louise felt like eternity, a doctor came up and motioned to her.

“Louise Walsh?” He said.

“Yes, that’s me.” The doctor smiled warmly.

“I’ve got good news for you. Andrew has a broken leg and a slightly cracked skull, but is otherwise fine. He’ll pull through.” Louise stared at him for a moment.

“Really?” She said in near disbelief.

“Yes.” Louise had never felt so relieved. Tears started to fall.

“Thank you, doctor. Thank you so much.” She said, hastily brushing the tears away. The doctor smiled again.

“You can visit him now if you want. He’s unconscious though, as a result of the painkillers we’ve given him.” Louise beamed.

“I’d like that.” It was then that she noticed her elderly next door neighbour, Anna. Another doctor was telling her something. After a moment Anna burst into tears – but clearly a different kind from Louise’s. She hesitated, then walked over to her.

“Anna? Are you okay?” She asked.

“It’s my son, James.” She said between tears. “He’s dead. He was killed in that awful accident. First my husband, now my son. I’ve lost everything.” Louise stood there in shock. James was only slightly older than her. She hadn’t imagined something like this would happen.

“Anna, I – I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” That was all Louise could think to say. Her previously good mood had disappeared. She hugged the older woman.

“I know I can’t change this, but if there’s anything I can do to make it better, I’ll do it.” Anna nodded meekly.

“I know I-I just can’t believe this.” Anna blubbered. “Is Andrew okay?” Anna asked, as they released. Louise suddenly felt guilty, though it wasn’t her fault.

“He’s fine. The doctor said that he’ll pull through.” Anna’s tear stained face brightened slightly.

“At least there’s some good news.” Louise nodded, unsure of what to say. There was an awkward silence until she said.

“Do you want to come with me and see him?” Anna paused.

“Well, no. I’m sorry. I – I want to be alone for a while. You go along.” She said, when Louise hesitated. “You’ve already done more than enough. I’ll come visit you later on, if you don't mind” Louise nodded and smiled weakly, then headed up the corridor, leaving Anna alone in the waiting room.
© Copyright 2010 Roxanne (roxanne246 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727653-The-Accident