*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1728873-Broken-Tears-14
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1728873
Life isn't always fair for a friend.
Broken Tears 14

Schuller and Lester found a parking space at the store and walked in. As they entered the store, they heard classical orchestral music, the ‘1812 Overture’ which was one of Schuller‘s favorite. Inside the store were a few adults and several teens. They were immediately greeted by the store owner, Wally. He knew these students as his best customers who had bought music items since he had opened the store 10 years ago.

“Hey Wally, how’s the music biz?” asked Lester as he passed the check out lane.

“It’s pretty good right now.” he responded as he handed a 13 year old change and a receipt.

Schuller looked at the side of the store that had the style of music that he liked. “Did that CD called ‘Just Between You and Me’ come in?”

Wally tilted his head as if he was searching memory for an important item. “Well let me see.” He wheeled his wheelchair up to the clipboard that had the receipts for the latest deliveries. “I was out for the last two days because of a bout with the flu.” He checked all of the pages carefully. “Let me ask my assistant Della. She signs for deliveries, but also has a memory that is better than my computer.” He smiled and picked up a microphone. “Miss Della, please pick up.”

The men waited for Della to answer the call. “I’m here surrounded by twenty boxes that need to be opened and checked. What can I do for you?” came a voice of a lady with a slight Asian accent.

“Our favorite customers are here and want to know if that new teen idol’s CD called ‘Between You and Me’ is here?

“I sent for it but got a response that they were out for now and would put it on immediate back order for us.” came the reply. There was a silence. “Tell them sorry. Okay?”

Wally shrugged his shoulders and shook his head in disappointment. “Looks like that little kid is going to go platinum fast. Sorry guys.”

Lester and Schuller looked at each other and frowned.

“Can you put us on a waiting list?” asked Lester.

“Yes. No problem. And I’ll let no one else get the first copy I have but you.” responded Wally with a smile.

“Thanks Wally. We have to go.” added Schuller as he tilted his head towards the door and began to walk out. “Bye.”

“Bye.” responded Wally.

Lester and Schuller got into Lester’s car and the two started for home. They rode quietly for a minute and then Lester heard the music jingle of his cell phone. He pulled into a parking lot and pulled out his cell phone to answer it.

“Oh gosh. It’s mom. She told me that they might hear from the doctor about my status on the kidney donor list.” He put the phone to his ear. “ Yes, what’s up?”

Schuller held his breath and said a silent prayer that the news would be good for his friend. He knew that when he learned that his friend might need a new kidney that Lester would have problems since there were so many other people who needed kidneys and so few donors.

Lester’s face went from in high spirits to gloomy in a few seconds. “A huh. Yes. I see.” he mumbled into the phone. “Thank you for calling. I’ll be right home.” He slowly closed the phone and put it in the change holder. He bit his lower lip and closed his eyes. Cars whizzed by. Two girls were out walking their dogs and laughing. Beside him a couple pulled into the space and got out. The young man walked up to the pretty girl and took her hand. They went into the restaurant.

Lester looked at the couple as they walked from their car to the restaurant hand in hand. He took in a big breath and let it out slowly. He seemed to be letting his mind drift into another world. Schuller did not want to disturb his friend with something that might sound pedestrian. After a minute Schuller broke the silence. “I’m sorry about the news.”

“Why?” barked Lester. “It’s not your fault that some people have weak bodies and others are perfect.” Small tears started to form in his eyes. “I …” he caught himself when he noticed the shocked look on his best friend’s face. “Oh I am the one who should apologize.”

“No Lester.” Schuller looked at the other cars as they were stopped at a light. “I just wish that there was something I could do.” He turned to look at his friend. “I mean. Do you think that my kidney might match?”

“Well you would have to go through a lot of testing and I know that baseball players need to be very healthy. “ Lester responded with his right hand looking for the ignition key. He started the car and backed out carefully.

“Lester. I think that if the situation were reversed, you’d give me a kidney. “ Schuller voiced.

“Well. I want you to be a healthy baseball player. You’re my friend and I’ll just keep on waiting. I still have time.” he said as he pulled out into the lane of traffic.

The two rode for a couple of blocks with only the radio on. The music station on had some of the new music on along with a couple of advertisements that used to make the two friends laugh at. They never were amazed at how stupid the radio station thought their listeners might be.

“Hey listeners, would you like to have cleaner teeth? Get ‘Top Tooth’ whitener for the whitest teeth in town, or anywhere. Music .

“There will be a reunion of class of 2000 at the convention hall this weekend. Call Margaret Hall for more information at…” Lester changed the station.

“and the local studio is looking for a smart young man or woman who will find the clues to the key that will open the box that has $10,000. The contest begins next Monday and the beginning clues will be given out at 7:00 a.m. Now here’s your next tune.”

“Did you hear that? Who couldn’t use a little extra cash?” asked Schuller with a slight grin on his face.

“Yea. That sounds a little interesting.” replied Lester. “One could even pay to put up a billboard like I saw for a donor for the kidney.” He slowed down to drop off Schuller at his house. Schuller noticed that his father was home and that the mail had all ready been taken out of the mail box. Schuller picked up his books from the back.

“Well? Are you going to do it?”

“I’m thinking. But you know there will be thousands of people who are going to try to find that key.” Lester said as he checked his watch. “Look I’ve got to go. Mom told me to hurry home. Okay?”

“Yea. See you at school. Don’t forget the math test and the English paper.” said Schuller as he turned to go.

I’m way ahead of you with the paper and the math test is in the bag. See you tomorrow.” Lester checked his rear view mirror and drove off.

Schuller stopped to see his friend turn left to go home. He had hoped that Lester would be more positive. But in case he wasn’t, he thought a little work on his part might put Lester in the mood to hunt for a win the money that was just out there for anyone to win.
© Copyright 2010 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1728873-Broken-Tears-14