*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729307-Prcis-of-The-Gettysburg-Address
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · History · #1729307
A précis of "The Gettysburg Address" by Abraham Lincoln
Précis of “The Gettysburg Address”



         In Abraham Lincoln’s speech “The Gettysburg Address” (1863) he advocates that the people who died during the civil war should not die in vain and he also asserts that we, as a nation, should hold true to the beliefs that our nation was founded upon. Abraham Lincoln develops his assertion that all people should be treated equal and given the same rights by referencing the values on which the nation was created and also he turns “these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion” into martyrs, or heroes, that fought for a truly noble cause. Lincoln’s purpose is to reshape the way racial differences are viewed and to abolish slavery; Lincoln wants people to not “judge based on the color of their skin” and to treat each person equally. The intended audience of Lincoln’s speech is the people of America who do not believe in equality among races and those who fight to keep slavery in existence. 

© Copyright 2010 James Saaristo (atimetoforget at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729307-Prcis-of-The-Gettysburg-Address