*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733877-Pulse
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1733877
A sad tale of two lovers who can never be.
“I always thought that love would set me free,” she told him. He had just made a terrible choice. One that would cost him dearly. Not that he cared anymore. All the cares in the world would not redeem him this time. “But,” she continued, “I’ve been imprisoned by my love for you for far too long. I need you to set me free.”

He turned to face her, his dark and menacing features frightening her. His eyes no longer held within them that small spark. That small remaining hope had been snuffed out since his transformation. His face lacked the light it once did. He simply stared at her, ravaging her without saying a word. Weak in the knees, on the edge of collapse, she returned his piercing gaze.

“Please,” she whispered, “Smile for me one last time. Let me see how the light touches your eyes.” She moved closer to him, feeling his unsettling aura. It enraptured her completely. It always had. Raising his hand to her face, he placed it gently on her cheek. She began to tremble. Her pulse quickened. Eyes closed, she placed her hand over his, feeling its warmth.

A wave of memories washed over them. In her mind, she saw the moments they spent together. Precious moments, forever a part of her. Moments of light and love. She never wanted to leave those moments. In his mind, he saw the sorrow and the pain he had caused her. He remembered her smile, how beautiful it was. The feeling of her skin against his, he would never forget. Feeling the hurt he had caused her further empowered his crippling remorse. He quickly broke the link between them and distanced himself.

She opened her eyes, aware of what had happened. She saw him walk away, feeling his guilt. “Please,” she called out to him, “Don’t leave me here alone. Alone with the memory of you.” He stopped and turned around. Staring at her in the distance, she still appeared as a beacon of light to him. She was still the redeemer. She always will be, he thought to himself.

He looked around. This desolate place had become his home. A clear reminder of a life gone wrong. His eyes came upon her once more. The area surrounding her was vibrant, colorful and lush. She smiled, causing him intense pain. The good was trying to help him. She was trying to help him. He fell to his knees, hands gripping his head. It felt like a malevolent cancer, tearing his body apart. Why can’t it ever stop? he yelled in his mind. But then, the sharp pain subsided. He felt a hand on his shoulder.

Opening his eyes, he looked up to see her kneeling beside him. The urge to brush her off overwhelmed him, but he couldn’t stop noticing a sensation within him. Warmth. He wanted to eradicate this feeling. He desperately wanted to hold onto the idea that he was the unloved, the wretched. She sensed his confusion and placed her arm around his body, holding him close. He could feel the darkness within fighting the light that was illuminating his soul. He wished for the conflict waging underneath to cease. He wished for peace.

The link had been re-established between them. She could feel the turmoil within him. He could feel her genuine desire to love him. Her hands caressed his face, wiping away the darkness that had tainted it. He turned to face her, his eyes once again shining with that sparkle of hope. She smiled and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. He stared at her with a sadness. “What’s wrong?” she asked him, worried.

“I can’t stay here with you. You’ve soothed me more than you can imagine but you have to let me go. I belong in this world. You don’t.” He kissed the tips of his fingers and placed them over her heart. “I’ll always be here when you need me.” Tears streaming down her face, she realized the truth behind his words. “I love you,” she said as she put her hand over his. He simply stared, and with a single tear drop, smiled. She closed her eyes and heard him say –

If you love me, let me go. Run away before I know. I don’t deserve to have you…
© Copyright 2010 Paul J. Belanger (entertherealm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733877-Pulse