*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736770-Apocolyptic
Rated: E · Other · Dark · #1736770
A women experience dreams of the end of the world.
My breathing becomes shallow as I succumb to the darkness. My eyes become heavier and y mind clouds with a mist of exhaustion. As much as I desire to sleep I fear that if I do sleep I’ll dream. And dreaming for me only means one thing, pain.
Another wave of overwhelming exhaustion hits me like a train. I fight with all my strength to suppress the fatigue with little success. I give in with a burdened sigh, closing my eyes and not bothering to try to open them again.


All I see are flashes. Images of different things, people and places. The images become more intense. Sadness, pain and suffering the overruling emotion. My breathing becomes quicker and shallower, my body withering in pain. The flashes continue, and I let them come. I don’t try to stop them anymore. I know they’ll end soon, they always do.
As many times as I’ve seen these picturing racing through my subconscious they never cease to shock me. When they stop I’m always filled with the same question. How could so much pain exist in so few lives? The images speed up, coming nearer to the end. I see tears, lost of tears. I see mothers abandoning their babies. Children struggling to run and hide. I see faces of a pained horror relived again and again. And with one last tear falling, the dream ends.

My eyes flutter open, my heart racing faster then it ever has before. Sweat sticks to my body, giving me more reason to fear, one thought clouds my mind. They’re getting worse. Somehow my always-constant visions are changing, filled with more pain and suffering then I’m used to.
A distinct change in the flashes rubs raw on the nerves of my brain. The visions have never ended like that before. Normally they slow into one single event. Now everything is meshed together into a blur of a straight shot of pure pain and terror.
I fear that as my visions of the possible future, the future itself might be changing. Another fearful though creeps in to my head, the visions suddenly stopped at the end. Does that mean the end of the future or the end of my visions? I can only dream it’s the second.

The past few days since the visions changed all I can help but do it obsess over every little detail of the dream, every detail of the dream that I can remember at least. I try my hardest to summon the pictures, but few will come to the surface of my mind, and the ones that do are blurry and off in some unknown way.
As time continues to pass my dreams continue to become more intense, my fear increases with them. I know something’s coming, but I don’t know what or when. I feel so hopeless, as if I know what’s coming; yet I can do nothing to change or stop it.
My first instinct is to act upon my fear, I can’t stand just sitting around, waiting to do something before it’s too late. One night as I lie in bed, a stabbing pain radiates through my chest. Everything I’ve been waiting for comes down to this moment.
I can feel it all crashing down on me at this moment. All of the pain that I have ever experienced in my dreams comes in huge waves. I scream in terror, the pain becoming more then I can handle. I suck in as much air as my lungs can absorb, yet I still gasp for air. With one last broken scream everything goes black.
I drift in and out of the blackness, just waiting for something to happen. Yet as time seems to pass nothing distinct has changed. The darkness becomes too much for me and I let the tears spill over my eyelids. And with one last broken tear, everything ends.
© Copyright 2010 jpenwomen (jpenwomen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736770-Apocolyptic