*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1737401-Time
Rated: E · Short Story · Philosophy · #1737401
This is a short story about Time. I hope you enjoy.
NOTICE:
Please note that this is a new account made on an older account of mine, which contained this story. I assure you this is not copied, and I am the same person who wrote this. Also note that this account has my true age.

Please enjoy this fictional short story.

Time


Time

What is it? What is time? The dictionary definition of time is "The indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present and future, regarded as a whole." -Concise Oxford English Dictionary. But that's not what time really is.

---------------

England, London, March 21st 2010

The Greek philosopher Plato wrote about time. Countless Roman philosophers wrote about time. But no one really knows what time is.
He wiped the sweat from his forehead, and grasped his pen. He clenched his teeth. The Time Rift was closing. He only had a few hours. He didn't have enough time. He had to hurry. He furiously scribbled on the paper, muttering to himself. He etched the last period on the paper with finality.
This was it. Doing what has never been done. Based on one stupid theory. He stood up, nearly knocking the chair back, and slammed the paper down.

It was time to go. Goodbye, he thought. And it was goodbye. Forever.

---------------

Recent discovery translated from a stone tablet found near Athens, translated.     

Greece, Athens, April 7th 126BC                       

It is the subject of 'time' on which I dwell this day. An individual appeared before many. Within his hand he clenched an object of metal. The garments he wore were a style unfamiliar to all. When he cried out it was not in the tongue of Athens nor any neighbouring city-states. This was surely a man out of time.

Before any had the opportunity to discover more of this stranger, the City Watch seized him. He fought in vain against them, but they did subdue him with fists and he was removed to the Watch-house. I fear he will be executed.

Yet I must speak with him, for he may know something of that which I seek.

-Plato


Greece, Athens, April 11th 126BC

A strange man was brought to court today. He was killed.

-Zotikos

---------------

England, London, Supreme Court Archives, March 30th 2010

Time is a theory. A misplaced theory. No one knows what it is. Until me. I know it's a bit melodramatic, but it's true. I found the answer to time, and unlocked its secrets. To prove this I will go back in time. I will be back. In case I do not make it, I will tell you how, so the answer can be shared. Time is a realm. Time is possibilities, always being wasted and used. It is a chain of possibilities. Probability decides how likely one possibility will occur. There are infinite possibilities. What if I could jump possibilities? I mean, what if I can change the occurrence of time. What if I can, decide that a time machine will appear? That's what I have done. This is h

The rest is ripped; a note is scribbled on the back in pen. Red pen. Never mess with time.


AFTER NOTE:
This is a fictional story. Comments and constructive criticism are welcomed and appreciated greatly. I hope you enjoyed this story.

IMPORTANT
User: stevengepp wrote the writing by Plato. Credit goes to him for the letter between footnotes 2 & 3. I recommend you all check out his profile!
User: Mage  wrote line at footnote 1. Check out Mage's portfolio!

Footnotes
1  1
2  2
3  3

© Copyright 2011 Write Incognito (writeincognito at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1737401-Time