*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1737928-Love-Dont-Come-Easy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #1737928
Rhyme for a reason.
Love Don’t Come Easy


Tessa Bean wondered thoughts and pondered plots, as she laundered socks. What, oh what, could she possibly wear, to the casual date at Madison's Square? Thursday was the date to be, she’d see him from Psychology.

Eddie Van Lyle, been her crush for a while, was at the top of his game, and charmed every dame. But now, somehow, Tessa had snagged him, only thing left was to hopefully bag him. She’d heard he wasn’t the relationship type, but also knew better than to believe the hype. If all went well, she’d be his wife, but if all went to hell, she’d be single for life.

So an outfit decision had her brain in a bind, as what could she wear to blow his mind? It needed to be sexy but not too sleazy, for she wanted to be pretty, not look easy. Would he like her in plain sweats and sneakers? Or would a tight, tight dress be the only way he’d keep her?

She wasn’t quite sure just what to do, so she poured in some bleach, and headed for sleep, the closet could wait a day or two.
-
Come Tuesday night, came a nightmare in bed, and Tessa woke with a fright, grabbing the hair on her head.  If what to wear was a scare, then so was a bald head, bare to the air. She hadn’t thought of her brownish locks, but now she needed something that’d rock.

Would she wear her hair up, up, up, in a fun little bun? Or down, down, down, for their night on the town? Tessa did not know, though her thoughts did grow. For now she had an outfit to decide, and hair to possibly be dyed.
-
Wednesday morning, Leigh came to see, just what could be Tessa’s emergency. Tessa had called that morning, with some kind of warning, about how being blonde wasn’t always alluring. So Leigh had came, and found the scene, found an unfortunate mane on Tessa Bean.

Tessa was blonde, in a really orange way, and fixing it seemed impossible, for tomorrow was the day!

Tessa cried, sniffled a lot, for she had tried, but could not look hot. Leigh held her, told her a hat couldn’t hurt, and if Eddie dumped her, then he was a jerk. Tessa nodded and finally calmed down, but she spent the whole day with a sad, sad, frown.
-
By Wednesday night, she was in top spirits again, for she’d wear a hat, supporting her team to win. A basketball game meant she could hide her shame, a cap for the Knicks, and all bad hair would be nixed.

Tessa smiled delight for the first time that night, and went straight to her clothes, ready to conquer her woes. A blue jean skirt would be great for a flirt, and her dark blue heels would be sure to kill. She set about, mixing orange and blue, and gave a great shout, when an outfit came true.  It wasn’t quite her, she normally preferred jeans, but for just one night she’d be a girly Tessa Bean.

She’d look good, despite her hair, and tomorrow night, she’d make Eddie care.
-
Thursday afternoon, Tessa got ready a little too soon. But she was nervous and ready to see, just how beautiful she could actually be. With the outfit on, she looked quite the sight, Eddie’s mind would be gone at the start of the night.

She smiled in the mirror as she tugged an orange braid, she looked so good she’d possibly get laid. The make-up came next, and it turned out great, so she sent Leigh a text and waited for her date.
-
At 7 the game began, and an hour before, a knock at her door, opened to reveal a man.

Eddie smiled his best, but that quickly did fall, for he took in her dress, and liked nothing at all. What happened to you, he asked upset, is that outfit brand new, you never wear this.

Tessa frowned, and could not see why, a girl in a skirt would not fly with a guy.

And your hair is blonde, Eddie went on, it’s supposed to brown, and he gave his own frown.

I dyed it, she said, her stomach filling with dread. Her night was set to begin, and yet it felt like a terrible end.

I thought you were normal, not like the others, don’t know why I was so stupid to have bothered.

Tessa’s heart broke with every word that he spoke, but she said nothing, only cursed the world’s cruel joke.

I’ll give you the tickets, said Eddie, but I can do without the Knicks. Wanted to see the game with you, not someone brand new.

The tickets he gave, but she did not accept, told him to have fun for she was too upset.

He went away the same as he came, and Tessa cried by the TV, for as long as the game.

The Knicks won, but she lost, and all because of the blonde, this was her cost. Next time she’d remember to be her for sure, as the pain she felt now was too much to endure. Eddie had liked her, for who she was, but she’d screwed up, changed too much, and one lesson to learn is you can’t fake love.
© Copyright 2011 J Durham (jdurham4 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1737928-Love-Dont-Come-Easy