*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1738397-Random-Writing-Numero-Uno
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #1738397
something I've been playing with. I have yet to run it through the grammar-o-matic.
You are going to die again. The thought sang to me in various tones and rhythms as my head rocked back from hte force of the blow to my face. I think my feet actually left the ground for a moment. So this was how it was going to go. Getting the shit beat out of me by some punk ass with a coke problem.
         I fell to the ground clumsily, my head smacked against the dry pavement that was still cooling from a long summer day. My vision was filled with dark blots and I couldn't make out anything anymore. My hearing worked fine though, I knew because I heard him pull out his gun and turn the safety off. "Finally rid of you. Master will be pleased." I could feel the grin on his face as he pulled the hammer back. I just layed there, too weak to move, and too stunned to breathe.
         Time seemed to stop after he pulled the trigger. For a minute I thought the barrel was empty. They say your life flashes before your eyes whenever you're about to die. Mine didn't. Maybe because I didn't remember anything about my life. Who was I? Where was I from? Who were my parents? The questions rolled in before the bullet did. Then there was the loud pop and then nothing. No feeling, no thought, no existence. He must have aimed for my head. It didn't usually end that quickly.


         When I opened my eyes I was in a dark room. As usual I didn't remember who I was, what I was, where I was from, or anything. I sat there, as a slow panic began to rise into my throat.
         The door opened and light poured into the room. A man appeared in the doorway. I couldn't quite make out what he was wearing.  My eyes burned. I must have been in the dark for a while. "Come with me, Marcus."
         My name. That was my name. I remember the feeling of joy when I remembered something. Or thought I did. It wasn't my first name. It wouldn't be my last name either. I stood up and realized that I was weak. I stumbled and grabbed a nearby chair to steady myself.
         "Sorry. We would have let you sleep longer, but you have work to do." the man said. He left the doorway and I could hear his footsteps echoing down the hall. I went to follow him.
         It was simple enough to learn how to walk again. Put one foot in front of the other, rinse and repeat. My head was cloudy and I felt like hell, but for some reason I obeyed without question. Learning through repitition I guess.
         I followed the man to another room that was dark like the first room I was in. Sounds of machinery doing their jobs and idling filled the room and added a very Star Trek-like feel to the room. There was one chair in the center of the room with various devices surrounding it. It reminded me of a Dentist's chair. I just hope I didn't need to have any teeth pulled.
         Sitting around the outside of the room were four or five people wearing labcoats and nametag necklaces. So official that it was frightening. They didn't even look up as I entered the room.
         "Sit down Marcus so we can begin the M-I-P." the man said and pointed towards the chair.
         I nodded and walked over to the chair and plopped down in it. "Where are we?" I asked the man, my voice was dry and raspy as if I hadn't used it in years.
         "You'll learn soon enough." He placed my arms on the arm rests and locked them in place with these metal shackles that were attached to the chair itself. He did the same with my legs and similar metal shackles. "You may feel slight discomfort when we begin, but don't worry, you've done this before." He took a device that was just like a helmet and put it over my head. As soon as he got it on me, I couldn't hear or see anything. At first I didn't think I could even breathe. I felt claustrophobic and I started trembling. I heard a crackling in my ear. It was a speaker. I heard the man's voice. "Don't move. Don't think. Don't breathe. It will all be over soon." then the speaker turned off and I was alone in a room full of people.
         I felt the first jolt immediately. Lights flashed into my vision and stunned me. I tried to yell but I had no voice. I shook my head but the lights didn't go away. Then the sound came. A dull roar that kept increasing and increasing. It sounded like a crowd of people muffled by the ocean crashing against the shores of a rocky beach. It got louder and louder to a point where I couldn't even think. The light grew more intense and it was almost as if I could make out someone's face, but soon I couldn't see anything but white.
         Then it all changed. I felt pin pricks going up my spine. They didn't hurt that bad at first but then it started to burn. They were putting something into my back. I groaned and sat there, pulling on the shackles but I realized that there were none. I didn't have a body. I didn't even exist. All I saw was the blinding white light. I couldn't even feel the helmet's weight anymore. And then soon all feeling was gone. I was so shocked that I just stared into the light. I couldn't blink because I didn't have eyes. I couldn't breathe because I didn't have lungs. I couldn't move because I didn't have arms or legs.
         Then everything went black and I could feel again. I felt heavy and there was wind blowing into my eyes. I realized that I was falling. I looked around and saw my arms and looked down and saw my legs. I didn't know what direction I was falling because I couldn't see. I felt like I was going to get sick, but I couldn't. My head filled with thoughts once more. Where was I? Who was I? What am I doing? Then I could hear the voices. The roar in my ears again. And I could see a light. And I was going to it fast. I tried to yell again as it approached. I slammed into it so fast that I thought I'd surely die on impact. I sailed through the darkness and into the light and realized that I still had my body. But gravity didn't exist here. I kept flying and the voices kept growing and growing and I could see images flash into the light in front of my eyes. Little playbacks of various scenes. I then realized that these were memories. I was remembering things. I tried to watch the images go by, but they were too fast. The roaring stopped and the lights went out.
         My head felt heavy again. Then I realized that I was back in the chair. I felt someone lift the helmet off of my head and the first thing I saw in front of me was a waste basket set right in front of me. I thankfully threw up, then looked around. The labcoats were still working away, not even paying attention. They were already used to this. My head finally gave in and everything went dark.
© Copyright 2011 Captain Oblivious (ursiel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1738397-Random-Writing-Numero-Uno