*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743939-Pathways-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Psychology · #1743939
Clay was called. He dwelled in his village for many years, but a journey awaited him.
The long winding road lay before him. Two towering white oaks stood on his left and right like majestic kings proclaiming the way. His mouth dry, he peered back at the village. A stream of sunshine made the dew on the rooftops twinkle in the stillness of the early morn. Someday he would return. Clay slung his pack over his shoulder and started his journey. His heart wrenched between leaving and the exhilaration of new adventure.

He heard a few early birds tussle in the leaves and his steady footfalls on the shifting path. Clay wondered how the weather and surroundings could change so quickly. It had been so long since his last trip. His thoughts wandered to his conversation with Jaxson.

…………………

“Jaxson, my friend, I am being called to leave. What should I do?”

“Who has called you?”

“I believe it was the Maker.”

“Are you sure? She has not used us in a long time. We live now only as an after thought.”

“It was clear. I should leave at once.”

“Go. I have not been called. We have always gone together.”

“I know. Perhaps when I go, she will call you too. I often remind her of you, and you of me.”

“Godspeed.”
………………

Then he stood next to the oaks – compelling him. But now, he stood before the gleaming gateway of consciousness. A rope dangled there and he began to climb into the light…
……………………….

Alicia flipped the pages one by one – reminiscing. Then she turned one last page and stared at the corsage, now old and pressed in its page. Opposite the corsage was a prom picture of her and Clay. Him in his tux, and her in a flowing blue jeweled dress. She smiled, as the image of Clay pushed into her mind.


300 Words
Flash Story Must contain: jewel, rope, leaves
© Copyright 2011 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743939-Pathways-1st-Place