*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745157-Because-of-Her
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Drama · #1745157
Love struck teen and dirty lies.
Because
Of
Her

By: Brittany
Crawford















Character Page












Elizabeth Anne Fletzcher- Eighteen years of age, beautiful, love struck teen.

Jacob Switzer- Twenty-two year old country boy, shy and in love with Elizabeth.

Mr. Darrell Fletzcher- Elizabeth’s father, farm worker, and tough man. Married to Mrs. Fletcher.

Mrs. Sarah Fletzcher- Strong woman who raises Elizabeth and takes care of the home. Has a secret about Elizabeth that no one, not even Elizabeth knows.













Act I/Scene I




[On the stage to the left is a cardboard house with a broken window, a few stepping stones, an old bench covered in ivy, and a field of grass. At the right of the stage there is a tree with orange leaves some leaves covering the ground. In the middle of the stage there is a house with smoke in the chimney and snow falling. Each gets light shown upon when directed to.]




Prologue
(Light up the left half of stage field of grass stays dark)


Through the broken glass in the window you can see the livid stones she once walked on very daintily so as not to disturb the birds eating seeds just a few feet away. She sat on that very bench that now has been overcome by silk-like strings of ivy.
(Left side goes dark light up only the field)


When summer was anew, she sat in the tall grass watching her daddy work on old cars, or just starring up at the clouds with her love.
(Field goes dark light up right part of stage)


In the fall you could find her picking the leaves that were not yet brown off the ground from the maple trees, her white dress drifting delicately in the breeze.
(Right goes dark light up middle of stage)


In the late weeks of December the cold white breath of father winter would keep her locked away within the warmth and comfort of her brick and mortar home. Of all the years she lived in this house, through all the seasons, the one we all keep heavy on our minds was her last. We gathered around her that stormy night as her lungs drew their last breath. Her body, still so soft, had no warmth left in it; her lips as red as that evening's crimson sunset.
(Whole stage goes dark)




(Stage lights up again)


[It’s a warm summer day in early September. Elizabeth is sitting in the tall grass wearing a white sundress; a yellow daisy lies in her hair as she watches her father and Chris work on the truck.]




Elizabeth
(Brushing the hair out of her face. And playing with a piece of the brown grass.)


Why must they fuss with that ol' thing any longer? Even Uncle Rick-god rest his soul- couldn't fix that hunk of junk and he was the best damn mechanic this part of Virginia. I guess daddy wants to give that bucket of bolts to Jacob if he can fix it. Poor boy don't have a penny to his name, but he'd give yous the shirt off his back if you be needin' one. Such a kind heart he's got for only twenty-two. And handsome too.
(Giggles and blushes at the thought.)
Oh if only he would ask daddy already, our souls might have a chance to be saved.
(Lays back in the grass her right hand on her stomach, the left resting by her head.)

If he don't I figure we got a month before Mamma starts catching on. Then god help us both.


[All actors and actresses freeze in spot as the light dims. Change
of scene as the lights come on. Jacob and Mr. Fletzcher stand over the car fiddling around with different plugs and metal parts.]




Mr. Fletzcher
(Leaning over the truck)

hand me that there do-hickie son.




Jacob
(grabs a wrench and nervously places it in Mr. Fletzcher's hand)

So Elizabeth graduates this fall don't she? What a beauty she has turned out to be.




Mr. Fletzcher
(Turning the wrench around a bolt.)

Mhm.


Jacob

World is she wants to be a doctor for critters or somethin' like that.




Mr. Fletzcher
(Getting frustrated by the bolt.)

Yep.




Jacob
(Looking at his shoes nervously)

Any fellers after her hand?




Mr. Fletzcher
(stopping and looks at Chris curiously and a bit angry)

What the hell is this about boy?!


Jacob
(Picks up a wrench from the toolbox and starts working on the truck.)

No-nothing sir. Just a question.




[Mr Fletzcher goes back to working on the truck.
Mrs. Fletzcher appears on the front porch.]




Mrs. Fletzcher
(Washing her hands on her apron.)

Darrel dear lunch is ready.


Mr. Fletzcher
(Puts the wrench in the tool bag and wipes the grease from his hand on a wash rag.)

Okay. Jacob you go get Elizabeth and come on in the house for some food.


Jacob
(Walking towards Elizabeth in the field.)

Yes sir.



[Lights dim. End of Act I]



























Act I/Scene II





[Jacob is laying on his back in the grass. Elizabeth’s head resting on his chest. They both watch the clouds drifting by over head.]


Elizabeth

Did you ask daddy yet?


Jacob
(Playing with Elizabeth’s hair)

No darling I didn’t.


Elizabeth
(Plays with the second button from the bottom of his shirt.)

We’ve gotta do somethin’. Already hard to find clothes big enough. You don’t talk to daddy soon then we are in trouble. God knows what he will do.


Jacob

You know I won’t let nothin’ happen to you Elizabeth. I love you.


Elizabeth
(smiling softly)

Say it again Jacob.


Jacob
(laughs softly)

I love you Elizabeth Anne Fletzcher and there ain’t a thing you can do about it.




Elizabeth
(Gets up and starts walking to the house)

Well, Jacob Switzer for your information there ain’t a thing I wanna do about it.


Jacob
(Gets up smiling like a school boy and follows her into the house.)


[Lights dim and go out. End of Act II]
© Copyright 2011 Brittany H. Crawford (hazeleyes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745157-Because-of-Her