*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745896-Who-is-Johnathan-Matthews
Rated: · Other · Other · #1745896
A little about me and my writing style.
The first thing you should know about me is that I am a militant non-conformist. I would also consider myself a cynic but in the classical term. "Cynicism , in its original form, refers to the beliefs of an ancient school of Greek philosophers known as the Cynics . Their philosophy was that the purpose of life was to live a life of Virtue in agreement with Nature. This meant rejecting all conventional desires for wealth, power, health, and fame, and by living a simple life free from all possessions. As reasoning creatures, people could gain happiness by rigorous training and by living in a way which was natural for humans. They believed that the world belonged equally to everyone, and that suffering was caused by false judgments of what was valuable and by the worthless customs and conventions which surrounded society"

Much of my beliefs have grown from my experiences. Most of those experiences have been with being exposed and being intimately involved with poverty. I lived in my car in 2009 and 10. I traveled the states both hitchhiking and out my car. I was exposed to a subculture that I found that I fitted into. I got involved with soup kitchens, homeless shelters. I even lived on the street for a time in Austin, Texas. I went to Bloomington, Indiana and helped at various Community Gardens and Food Pantry. I worked with Food Not Bombs and learned to play guitar along the way. A walked everywhere and I saw tall skyscrapers, fancy hotels and restaurants next to homeless shelters. So I began to question,

Am I in the search for meaning knowing all to well that meaning is man's design. So then is it of my own design that I should define my meaning? With out the insignificant addictions that plague the moral majority. How do we govern ourselves if there is no right or wrong? How then do we decide for ourselves our courses of action? I can argue that all actions guided by the ego are the most beneficial for ones self. But one has to account for the egos of others and how they factor into this life's equation. Hence we have the moral majority.We as a species find comfort in knowing that there are others that hold our beliefs. I would find solace in such a situation but it has come into question the moral majority, that we find "comfort" in what is familiar. In our own country we promote individuality with the illusion of choice. Materialism at it's foundation and the promotion of the Cult of Self. This inflation of the ego, though not foreign to us takes a familiar face. Is it the illusion of choice that pacifies us? I have found no answers, if such things exist.

So here I am writing essays on my views of the world that I perceive. I do not write for good ratings or happy reviews. I do not expect others to agree with my views and I don't care if they do or not. I don't view this as a popularity contest. I stay stead fast to my views and will continue to share them with my pulpit like writing style, because I firmly believe that what I have to say has to be heard. I am not as concerned with punctuation, grammar or spelling since it promotes the idea of image over substance. It is content that I value most. It won't be rainbows and happy thoughts. I don't write harsh words because I hate mankind or society. I write them because I love humanity and society. I wish to see it grow for the better, in a direction that benefits the earth and all it's inhabitants. Things won't change if we deny the problems that society has. I make no apologies but I am all ears to new ideas.


© Copyright 2011 Johnathan Matthews (gnosticinkwell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745896-Who-is-Johnathan-Matthews