*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1746035-As-a-grand-mal-seizure
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Tsevah
Rated: · Draft · Emotional · #1746035
One of those days, I dreamt about a watermark within my school book.
MiLo/Miles
         It's one of those days today.  I can tell by the way my father's 'good morning, Milo' slurred, and by the way stairs are now the equivalent of a wall. This is one of those days today, but I can make it this time. There's no school today, there's no reason for me to walk into the world outside of my house, my room. I hope I can bury my head into myself and block all the sounds and colors. Keep it gray and silent, the only way I can deal with this day.
         Apparently though, I can't take refuge yet. "Milo, are you still awake?"
         Yes, I am, but words don't count if you can't make sound come out of your mouth. My father's steps up the stairs pound just behind my ears. There are 2 flights of stairs, 18 steps, and 17 steps to my bedroom door. I count his booming feet until he swings open the door and looks at the mound in the corner. "We need to go somewhere."
         Can I mishear? I think I misheard you. I don't think I heard you at all. Please repeat what you have said if it is important.
         "Milo, you're changing schools, and they're having an open-house sort of deal." His booming feet move closer to the mound. "We're going."
         I feel my face heat up. I'm not the biggest fan of change. Moving schools, is not like moving countries, so I don't feel the need to bang a hole through the wall. At least, I wouldn't, if this wasn't this day. I practice speaking, moving my mouth in the form of 'Do I have to?'
         My father untangles the mound into a dark blanket and a blond son with a heavy head and eyes glued to the floor. I wish I could be someone else at the moment, but right now, the carpet is a light blue where dark stains once where, and a now stainless carpet was much more interesting the laser eyes that even my father with his booming feet had.  Today they are lasers that I can't make contact with.
         "Milo get dressed, in anything, but get dressed." My father waits until I stand on my two feet, the floor isn't going anywhere, and then he leaves my alone in my room. My closet can be painfully multi-monochromatic, and I am not up for it today. I squeeze my eyes shut and grab a random T-shirt and jeans. I'm blue today on the outside and gray on the inside. My mouth is closed and my mind is racing. I hope this school doesn't require me to climb stairs.
         As I fumble down the stairs, my father smiles at me. "Are you all right?"
         I can't help but mock him, I'm slightly angry. "Are you all right? Are you all right?"
         Surprisingly, or not so, he actually laughs. "I guess you're so and so.
         "What's the why- I mean- reason? Where are we going?" I try to get my socks on right, there's this annoying bump on the edge where your toes go and it bugs me to no end if I can't straighten it out.
         "Hurry up, I'll tell you in the car."
         I place my hands on the floor and stare at the ceiling. I try to make eye contact with my father, but like I said before. "I won't be able to hear you in the car. Right now, by the time we get out of the neighborhood there will be a bus on the stop with this whir- I won't be able to hear you in the car..."
         My father hugs me, I don't know if it's for affection or because the next thing that comes out of his mouth is something I don't want to hear.
© Copyright 2011 Tsevah (anochitsevah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1746035-As-a-grand-mal-seizure