*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747107-The-Man-in-the-Black-Jacket
by EmJ
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1747107
How not to deliver a basket of muffins.
"Don't forget the coat she gave you! It's cold out."
I sigh and grab my red coat as I hurry out the door, the basket with the food for Grandma slung over one arm.
"Put it on!" My mother yells after me. "And stay on the main streets! No stopping!"
"Duh, Mom," I grumble, and shrug into my bright red coat. "Ugh, why did she have to buy the ugliest jacket in the store? I feel like little red riding hood, on my way to Grandma's house." I wave to her with a fake smile and hurry down the street. Mom and I live in a large apartment in the middle of Chicago while Grandma lives in the suburbs in a small one story house. I'll never understand why she will not just come live with us, but she is a stubborn old lady.
Cars honk by, people in black jackets walk past me doing second takes. Yes, people, I am a walking traffic signal. Get over it. I wait until I am a few blocks away from my mom before shrugging out of the jacket and turning it inside out. That is the only thing I like about the ugly thing: the inside is black. That way I can walk with it off and not look like a crazy person.
Just in time too, because as soon as I have the jacket slung over my stupid basket, I see my two best friends Claire and Stacy walking towards me with their boyfriends. I would get so much grief from all of them if they saw my jacket.
"Hey, guys," I call, falling into step beside them.
"Hey, Julia. What's up?" Claire asks with a smile.
"Not much, just heading to drop something off at my Grandma's. What are you guys up to?"
"Heading to grab something to eat. You wanna come?" Stacy offers.
"Totally. Where to?" Grandma can wait a bit.
"Jeff's," Paul, Stacy's boyfriend answers.
"Awesome," It's my favorite.
"Clark's" Jeremy, Claire's boyfriend argues.
"Guys, they're the same thing." Stacy says, rolling her eyes. "Jeff Clark's."
"Oh," They both say, and we laugh.
After dinner, I wave goodbye to my friends, and continue towards Grandma's. It's getting late, the sun is setting, but that's the good thing about the city; there are always lights so you can see. There are also alleyways in which you cannot see very well, but are awesome shortcuts. These are what I use.
I"m almost halfway to Grandma's before a guy in a black jacket steps out in front of me. Now, most people in Chicago wear black jackets, but this wasn't just any jacket. This was one of those jackets that warns you to keep away. Of course I have no such luck.
"Hey pretty thing."
"Move," I order, trying to walk past him.
"Not a chance," he says, blocking my path. I turn and try to walk back the way I came, but he grabs my arm. "Not so fast, girlie. You're not going anywhere."
I can smell the drink on his breath, and I shrug out of his hold. "Leave me alone. I'm warning you."
"What are you going to do, little girl? Scream? You're in the wrong part of town for that to work. Where are you heading to?"
"That's none of your business."
"I say it is if you want to get out of here safely." He smirks and grabs my arm again.
I shake him off. "To my Grandma's, if you really must know. Now would you mind letting me go? I don't have any money on me."
"Where's your Grandma live?"
"Like I'm going to tell you that." I roll my eyes.
He puts a hand to my throat. "I'll let you go now, but I promise, we'll see each other again." He gives me a sneer of a smile and shoves past me. I feel a strong urge to run home, but I shake it off and hurry the rest of the way to Grandma's.
I reach her house, slip on the red jacket she gave me, and knock on the quaint little door. "Grandma, it's me, Julia. I brought you muffins."
The door slowly opens, and out peeks my Grandma. "Hello dear, come in." She opens the door wide.
I smile into her wrinkled face and hand her the basket. "Sorry, Grandma, I can't stay. I've got to hurry home before it gets too late. I promised Mom."
"Alright dear. Be safe." She smiles her kindly smile.
"Thanks, Grandma. Enjoy those muffins." I turn around and walk back down the flower lined walk and onto the street. Once she has closed the door, I take off the jacket again. On the way home, I stick to the main roads that are flooded with light, and don't stop even when I see a group of my classmates heading for the club. I'm ready to get home.
When I am on our block, I slip on the ugly coat. Mom would throw a fit if she saw me not wearing it. When I walk through the door, I call for her, but there is no answer.
"Mom, where are you?" I'm getting a little scared.
"In the kitchen." I hurry to the kitchen and see her slumped in one of the chairs.
"Mom, what's wrong?" I've never seen my mom this upset.
"I just got a call from your Grandma. She's been robbed by a man in black. He took all her valuable things, and the muffins, then left. The only thing he said to her was to give his regards to her granddaughter. Do you know what he means?" Mom turns her stricken face to me.
I stare back at her, horrified. The man in the black jacket.



© Copyright 2011 EmJ (emj15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747107-The-Man-in-the-Black-Jacket