*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1750037-WHO--AM--I-
Rated: E · Poetry · Philosophy · #1750037
A human being is mortal. The mortal remains may perish but the soul is eternal.
                                                          Who  am  I  ??????
I  am  one  who  was  born  out  of  love
Love …..that  my  parents  shared………..
I  am  one  who  was  conceived  as  a  seed 
In  my  mother’s  womb………….
Who  bore  me  for  nine  long  months……..
I  am  one  who  kicked  her  when  I  was  in her  womb
But  was  comforted  by  her  loving  &  soft  caress
I  am  the  one  who  gave  her  the  pain  of  labour
But  when  laid  in  her  arms , she  only  smiled
At  my  innocent  face….
For  I  was  her  fruit  of  labour……
I  am  one  whose  dad  took  hold  of  my  finger
When  I  tripped  &  fell , while  learning  to  walk  as  a  toddler………….
But  was  not  near  to  be  his  walking  stick
When  he  was  old……                               
Today  when  he  is  far  away…
I  am  not  able  to  follow  his  footsteps……
I  am  one  whom  my  teachers  taught  the  “abc’s ‘  &  “123 ‘s “………..
But  today  in  this  rat  race  of  life…..i  have  become  a  competitor….
I  have  forgotten  my  P’s  &  Q’s……
I  have  forgotten  to remember  those  endless  faces……
Who  had  who  had  taught  me  to  count…..
I  am  the  one  who  have  often  overlooked  those  who  were  in  pain  because  of  me…….
As  I  myself was  wounded  &  was  in  pain…..
I  am  one  who  could  have  been  a balm  for  those  ailing …….
But  I  applied  the  balm  on  myself…..
I  am  one  who  seeks  pleasures  in  life….but
Are  busy  nursing  the  injuries  that  life  has  given  us………
I  am  one  who  is  balancing the  life’s  joys  &  sorrows 
In  scales…………
I  weep  when  my  sorrows  are  heavier…
I  laugh  a  rainbow  when  my  joys  are  doubled……
I  am  one  who  forgets  that  my  joys  are  my  sorrows  unmasked……
I  am  one  who  delights  in  laying  down  laws……..
&  delights  more  in  breaking  them……..
I  am  one  who  fights    for  my  rights … but  do  not  hesitate  to rob  another  one  of theirs……..
Yes  I  am  a  human  being……..
But  I am  also  the  first  rays  of  the  sun……….
That  shimmers  in  the  dawn…….
When  I  think  of  the  mankind  as  my  very  own……
I  am  one  who  can  make  my  house  a home……
With  my  heart  &  cherish  it  with  love  &  care
Just  as  my  body  is  a  temple  of  god …….
So  is  my  home……..
So  is  my  neighbourhood ……
My  state…..
My  country……..
My  universe…….
I  have  the  beauty  and  warmth  to  turn  the  brick , wood  &  stone  to  a  temple,  mosque, or church………
I  am  the  one  who can  become a  sacred  bread  ……for  god’s  sacred  feast……..
I  am  the  one  who  beats  the  holy  drums  to  welcome  the  almighty  mother  ……&  also  to  bid  a  fond  farewell to  her……..
I  am  the  one  sings  hymns  &  lights  lamps  in  praise  of  a  deity…..
But  forgets  to  worship  the  one  next  to  me….who  is  also  temple  of  god….
I  am  the  one  who  can  scale  the  tallest    mountains  &  sail  across  the  fierce  raging  seas…
If  my  ropes  , ships  &  companions  are  strong  & trustworthy…………….
I  am  the  one  who  can  be  myself  amongst  kids…..
I  am  the  one  who  can  give  a  little  of  myself…..
Not  only  to those  whom  I  care  for……
But  also  to  those  who  care  for  me…
And  also  to  those  who  care  not  for  me…….
For  the  trees  in  the  orchards, the river s  &  the  flocks  in the  pasture  also  do  so……
I  am  one  who  was  brought  in  this  world  with  a purpose……..
I  have  been  assigned  to  job  in life  to  fulfill…….
As …. a  son /daughter/son-in-law/daughter-in-law…
          A  father /mother..
          A  husband /wife..
        A  brother/sister…
        A nephew/niece….
        A  grandson/granddaughter…
        A  friend
        A    teacher…..
        A  student…..
        A  professional…
      A homemaker…
      A  citizen……
Until  I can  complete  these  duties….i  will be  born again  &  again…….
To  fulfill  these  tasks..&  bear  the  fruits……
I  am  one  who  rests  in  reason  &  moves  with  passion……..
For  reason  are  the  rudders  of  my  boat  of  life…..
And  passion  are  the  waves  in the  seas……
Reason  is  the  force  that  confines……
And  passion  when  let  lose  is  flame  that  burns…..
I  am  the  one  who  must  not  only…..
Welcome  the  ebb of  tide  of  life……
But  also  embrace  its  flood too……..
I  am  the  one  who  can  talk  of…..my  joys , sorrows, pain,  laughter,  relationships ,  anger ,  hatred,  love,…..with  those  who  care……..
But  my    silence….can  speak  a  hundred  decibels  louder  than  my  words…….
I  am  the  one  who  can  embrace  the  past  with  fond  remembrances , the  present  with  affection  &  the  future  with  longing…..
I  am  the  one  who  is  goodness  in a  countless  ways……when  I  am  strong  and  swift………
Yet  I  am  not  evil  when  I  falter  in  the    steps  &  limp…..
I  am  the  goodness  who  has  lost  my  way  in  the  darkness……. &  need  someone  with  a lamp  to  regain  &  show  my  path ……….
I  am  the  one  who  desires  so  many  pleasures  in  life……yet  remain  speechless  in  prayer……
For  I  know  the  almighty  listens  to  my  heartbeat  with  an  invisible  stethoscope……..
I  am  that  beautiful  creation  which  is  eternity  gazing  at  a  mirror………
I  am  the  one  fears  death  as  something  unknown  &  fearsome…….
When  it  is  only  the  eternity…..
My  body  is  mortal…..it rose  from  dust  &  will  return  to  dust  &  ashes…….  But  I  am  immortal…….
My  thoughts  ,actions, words,  desires,  memories  will  cycle  again  &  again  in  form  of  my  family ,  friends,  loved  ones, countrymen, &  universe………………. I  am  a  little  of  everything  in  everyone………
I  the  one  who  will  be  the  sunrays  in  summer,  the  raindrops  & the  magnificent  rainbow  in  the  monsoons,    the  golden  leaves  in  autumn,  the  snowfall  in  winter,  the  birds  &  blossoms  in  spring……
I  the  one  who  will be  the  cycle  of  seasons  even  after  I  am  dead  &  gone……..
The  leaves  of  memories  will  silently  fall…
Gently  with  tears  as  we  gather  them  all……
I  am  the  one  who  is  eternal  &  immortal…….

 
By Dr.  Sujata  Chatterjee (Mou Dutta)
© Copyright 2011 Mou Dutta (suj_chat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1750037-WHO--AM--I-