*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1752142-Spirit-Waliking---Beach
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1752142
One of the last chapters of Sahra's edventure
We left the little house and I was sad to see it grow smaller behind us. I had been comfortable for the short time we had been there. More comfortable than I had been for months, months that felt like years. My fathers face was a constant in my mind and soon I became frustrated with the pain I was feeling. Why me? That was the most relevant but unanswerable question. This prophet Gala had picked my life out of a spin of others and graced me with this prophecy. More cursed I felt. Marin assured me that I would feel grateful when I came to the Isle. They would prepare feasts in my name and I will be treated like a queen among them. And so I should I thought. I have been dragged kicking and screaming through a course of events that made me the one. Sounded stupid in my mind and in there poor excuses for it. No one could give me back my time and no one was going to. Suppose I had to deal with it. I did but very badly. The foul mood that I was in did not seem to affect Bel, Shanin or Marin. They all plodded along in there own little comforts of returning to there lives. Bel rode upon Shanin and she was obviously enjoying it. I felt guilty for the sourness I felt against a seven year old girl, who was raped and beaten, for having fun. The house suddenly went out of my vision as we walked over the hill. Again a wood stood before me menacing and forbidding. Once again I stood frozen with my childhood fears that quite recently came true for me. Flashing before my eyes where the goblins and sprites fighting over me. Their claws scratching my skin. Marin touched my shoulder and I jumped. I had not seen him walk to me, for a second I was lost in myself. “The wood is not that dense and it does not go on in this direction for longer than four miles.” He smiled warmly to me. “We will not be in there tonight.”
He walked on like that was supposed to wash all my fears away. I decided to follow and now I kept beside them and peered around always on watch for something. Bel and Marin did not walk in silence and I constantly wanted to keep telling them to keep quiet. Noises teased me and fell away, or were interrupted by Bel laughing. Again I felt guilty for wanting to stop her. After an hour I settled down and even though my eyes still darted to and fro I was able to keep with the conversation and enjoy some time with them.
Marin was telling a tale of Carrion the pretender. A Lady from the Isle who had claimed to be a great spirit walker with the animals. Unfortunately something that can not be proved that often. As I listened I became aware that when I did spirit walk I never encountered animal maybe I would try next time. Carrion would feast with the highest Spirit Walkers and she would often put on tricks and shows with her pet cat. These consisted of the cat walking on his hind legs like a person and such like. One day she predicted that the Prophet Dream would take a tumble from her horse to her death. Prophet Dream was shocked that such a lesser Spirit Walker would make such wild prophecies about her. But because Carrion had made her name around the table of the Ladies she was believed. Prophet Dream carried on to ride her horse on a daily basis wishing to prove the Lady Carrion wrong. One day though she was riding through the wooded tops of mount Trempet when her horse was spooked. Prophet Dream held true to her horse but once again it reared as if something was blocking its path. The prophet fell and her horse fell on top of her. She did not die though but as she stood something struck her on the head. Marin was a very good story teller and I was shocked as he jumped from a fallen tree doing a striking motion with a piece of wood in his hand. “So the Carrion was true. She just got how she died wrong.” I stated. Bel giggled and I frowned at her. “A prophecy does not work like that silly.” She giggled again.
Marin started up the story again. Carrion was brought to the hall of shadows. This is where they brought the bodies of the dead Ladies to make sure that there spirit had died within the body. Carrion looking down in surprise on the body and admitted that she did not think the prophecy would not come true for many years. Carrion bowed her head in prey. The other Ladies came down on Carrion. They had found the body shortly after Prophet Dream had fallen from her horse and they had found her spirit barley surviving beside it. Carrion looked stricken before they could even accuse her of the first murder on the Isle. The pretender as she was named after was taken to mount Trempet and there she was tied to a tree naked. They left her there to die and be eaten by the animals that she said she had linked with. Marin finished the story like the women where heroes for washing out this women. I felt disgusted that they would leave her to such a harsh death. Bel whooped in joy she had obviously heard this story before. I scowled at them both. “You are no better than the lords seeing such joy in dragging a woman to be pecked to death.” I stopped and stared at them both. “What if Prophet Dream was lying in her spirit form to blame Carrion for her death. Maybe she was jealous that she had made such a prophecy. Bel gasped in horror at my words and Marin just shook his head at me.
“You have much to learn Sahra.” He said. “On the isle to be involved in an actual prophecy is a blessing from Yeo herself. Even if death brings it. Prophet Dream knew she was lying and took to her horse every day to prove that she was wrong or bless her in her truth. And they where her words she would of happily of died if that’s what Yeo wanted.” He said this like it was that easy to choose death. I laughed to myself and pushed aside all my questions for their story. The woods were really quiet but at the same time I was at peace with it.
The woods became less dense and I could see flowers popping up in front of us. We were nearly out of it and I felt a slight relief. I had been tighter then I had realised and as the trees became less and less I felt wearier. I drained away with every step out onto the fresh grass of the meadow. Luckily for me the sun was low in the sky and Marin halted.
“We should camp here for the night.” He threw his pack down and trekked off to relieve himself. Bel jumped from Shanin and she agreed with him on something that I did not understand. I decided I would go and look for some fire wood, being autumn there was plenty around and I had enough before Marin came back. He looked pleased with my work and started to build a fire. Bel came back with Shanin and she had a large water sack in her hand.
“The water tastes lovely like it has just run off the mountain.” Her constant happiness was beginning to ware off on me as I smiled generally and tried the water. She was right. It refreshed me instantly and I felt my mood lighten. Bel turned to Marin. “I can hunt some food for our dinner if you would like. I saw loads of tracks that looked very fresh. I think I could catch a rabbit or two.” Marin nodded to her and she bounded away to find her kill. I was not completely useless to cooking and took a pot and followed Shanin to the stream that he and Bel had found. It ran out of the woods and trickled down between rocks and mounds of earth. The water had pooled in an area just outside of the trees. I filled the pot I brought with the water and then took the opportunity to splash the water on my face. Pretty flowers had sprung up around the stream and I sat on the cool grass for a while drinking in the calmness of the scene. Shanin was quietly acting like a normal horse behind me chomping on the bright grass. I decided to kick off my shoes and soak my feet in the cool water. It was refreshing. Shanin came to me and nudged me with his nose it might have looked like I had dosed but I was just resting my eyes. I stood and brushed some grass from legs and skirt. I took up the pot and made my way to the camp.
Marin had got the fire going and I sat close enough to warm myself, the water from the stream had been a bit chilly and the warmth from the fire was welcoming. I set the pot over the fire and asked Marin if he had any herbs. He didn’t and I wondered what kind of vegetables the local landscape produced. As if answering my question that I had not voiced Marin said that there was a root vegetable that grew on the outskirts of the woods that looked a bit like a potato but tasted sweeter. We both walked a little closer to the woods and left Shanin at the fire.
“You don not seem yourself?” Marin asked.
“You do not know me.” I answered a bit harshly. “To be honest I do not think I know myself at the moment. So much has come to past and I do not think I am coping with it as well as I should.”
“No you are not.” He said just as harsh as I had spoken to him. He had a puzzled look on his face. We did not speak for a few minuets.
“What are you thinking?” I said. He turned away from me and seemed to be battling with a notion.
“You make me judge everything I have ever believed in.” I found this rude as I had said nothing against his beliefs and I was doing my best to go along with what he had placed upon me.
“For people like me and Bel this time was going to come while we lived and it was supposed to be perfect. One of the lines from the book reads. “And the girl will take her role seriously and will throw her former life away for the greater good without a thought.” You are not doing that and it worries me.” He paused but I had nothing to say. “I see you cling to the hope that you will wake up and it will all be a dream.”
I found the words that would not be to hurtful “I do. Is that so bad. I human.” I saw the dread in his eyes and I quickly added. “Maybe she meant in time I will feel like that. You can not expect any human being to give up there life so freely. Not with out thought of her previous life.”
“You are coming to terms then?” He said hopefully.
“Of course when I look at the bigger picture, I will help thousands of people, a whole generation will live in peace because of me.” When I said it like that it was very appealing. “It’s just the little girl in me that would like to give her father at least a finale hug goodbye. It breaks my heart to think that that is not possible.” Bile rose in my throat and tears stung my eyes. I really was leaving my father behind. Marin saw that I was upset and I think he saw me for the first time as a fourteen year old girl that was having the world hoisted to her shoulders and told she must carry it. He hugged me and I felt the embrace was real honest gratitude for how far I had come already. I dried my eyes and Marin walked on slightly giving me my space.
We found the potato and some herbs that had a smoky taste to them. Perfect for rabbit I thought. Bel had done well when we got back to the camp. She sat skinning two plump rabbits. She looked up at us and smiled holding one of the by the hind legs. Her dress had grass stains up it and she had bloody hands. The small was not appetizing but I was well used to the skinning of animals. I set to the task of ripping the herbs up and chopping the potatoes into smaller chunks. The water was boiling so I put all the ingredients into the pot and moved the pot slightly to edge of the fire. After Bel added the meat to the broth the smell drifted around us. We sat happily in our own little word. That night we had a good dinner and settled down to sleep. The cry in the woods had lifted a bit of tension from my shoulders and I slept better than I had in weeks.
We woke at sun rise. It was dimed by a grey cloud that covered the sky, looked like rain. Also the wind that rushed over the hills in front of us felt cold. Winter was coming. It was not the best way to start the day.
Marin told us that for the next two days we would be walking over a hilly terrain and it would be difficult in some places. Shanin would not be able to make it and Bel had a teary good bye with her friend. I gave Shanin a hug and rubbed his ears. Marin nodded to him and he galloped off.
“He has gone back to the house.” He said this to Bel and she smiled the watery smile of a child.
Marin explained that to our left was a mountain range. And we were in a way climbing there younger brothers and sisters. I felt weird that he explained them in this way but was sure that it was down to his belief. He was not wrong I found it hard up the first one. The grass below us looked lush and green like a meadow but when trodden on it ripped away from the rock that it stuck to. It was treacherous and I slipped many times cutting my knees and my hands. From the time we started to walk over the hills bird and beast seemed to diminish. The wind started to howl over the tops of the hills and I was giving into my imagination again as I began to hear and see things. I was straining to keep my senses about me. The wind called my name and I would see dark shapes move at the corner of my eyes. Then the rain came.
It thundered over us and Marin found a overhung on a side of a hill that we huddled into. I was very cold and desperately rubbed my hands for warmth. Bel looked the same but Marin didn’t seem to be bothered by the weather. He was a wonderer so I did not expect anything less.
“It will not go on for long. It’s just a shower and the wind is strong it should blow over.” Marin said whilst staring into the sky like he was willing that it would blow over. Bel reached into her pack and got the flask out. Taking a mouthful of water she then passed it to me. I took a sip and it was the water from the stream and again it felt refreshing and cool. I passed it to Marin. The rain did stop after a couple of hours had passed. Bel had fallen asleep. I shook her and she woke with a start.
“It’s ok Bel. We are just moving off now.” I said. She smiled and got up.
The next two days consisted of being wet and being cut up by the rocky earth. I had wrapped cloth round mine and Bel’s hands to stop the rocks biting us so deep. Marin did not seem effected by it.
By the end of the second day I climbed down and found myself on a flat grassy land. I could see the sea in the distance and I shouted to the others to come and see. I was so excited all of a sudden. The Isle was out there some where waiting for me. Marin saw the look on my face and smiled.
“Just over this green is the beach” He said. And we started to walk towards it.


We arrived on a vast beach. It looked like we where right in the middle of it. Each way I looked fog was all I could see. When looking towards the way we had come there was a grass verge. The beach was below the grass and all I could see was a crown of green on grey head. The stone below the grass was strange, it was so plain in colour I could not believe it was real. I placed my hand against the stone and felt the ridges of it. It was very cold and it was all smooth. It looked like it was only made of one type of sediment. There was no other bits in it and no vary of colour. The stone looked like something that was coloured in by a child. I could not believe that the beach was completely empty. And not just of people or animals, there was no debris thrown up from the sea, no sea weed and no stones. The sand was a dim yellow colour and it was so fine that instantly it was irritating my skin. I walked up to the water and peered into the fog over the sea. I could not see the Isle but I almost felt it calling me. I wondered up the beach a bit and noticed at how the sand got into every crevice of my shoes. I pulled them off and chucked them towards Marin. He was unpacking stuff from his pack. Bel was up on the grass. I doubted that either of them needed me so I carried on daydreaming along the beach.
The wind was warm coming off the sea and my dress whipped around me. I suddenly realised it was very windy but the sand seemed unaffected by it. It was so strange here. Everything contradicted itself. I found I was thinking about all that had happened to me over the last few months. Life was so plain at the farm with my father. Part of me said plain and boring but I had never felt like this before. The sense of adventure that I had never possessed before was now strong and I was really looking forward to meeting the people on the Isle. It was like I belonged to a whole different type of people and they where powerful and strong. I could feel that from here. I was sent to help them. I almost felt superior but, really, why shouldn’t I. I was to them. I was going to be the strongest and I would help solve death and destruction that will fall upon the earth. I giggled to myself. Me! Saving the world. It was funny really, when I looked at it from a fourteen year old girl’s point of view. I will succeed though. When I was on the Isle and proven as the prophecy I will hold my head high and accept what I had been delivered to. I will make sure that I become the most powerful. And I will as the prophecy has told save.
So I have made my mind then. I slowly walked back to where the others had sat down. I contemplated how my decision was going to affect my father. But unfortunately it was quickly swept away with my sense of purpose.
Marin had taken out several pieces of material from his pack and some how it produced a tent just big enough for us to sit in. He had laid blankets on the floor for us to sit on. Bel had placed herself at the edge of the tent. She looked so tiered and I saw her head drop several times. We all managed to find a space in the tent facing the sea. I was confused as I could still not see the isle and the fog was clearing. Bel was yawning and again nodded her head to one side with her eyes closed.
“Bel. Are you all right?” I shook her slightly because I had truly thought she had just fallen asleep.
“Fine Sahra. Just really tiered.” She opened her eyes and smiled up too me.
I was shaking with the anticipation of the magic isle appearing in front of us. But both Marin and Bel seemed very tiered. Marin said that we should sleep while we could. I couldn’t. Bel rolled herself into a ball and slept almost straight away. Marin sat for a moment but soon his chin fell to his chest and he was lightly snoring. I tried to close my eyes but sleep would not come. The light around us died and I still was restless.
I decided to get out of the tent and just sit outside. The waves where calming, but the lack of all other life and sounds was eyrie. I had come to the conclusion that even though that this was not my plan it was a plan of some one else’s. It gave the whole situation a lighter look. I was supposed to survive and I was supposed to go the Isle. It was strange how I put so much faith in what some who I did not know said. I knew the power I held and felt it daily growing stronger inside me. I had taken some ones life with it. I was powerful and I was part of another life, another people, and good people as I know from Marin. They are counting on me to do my part. Really it was a plan just one I had not been aware of. Once on the isle I could find out the full story.
The moon was high in the sky and its light reflected off the water. I still could see no sign of the Isle and I felt frustrated. I wanted to meet these people that where going to be waiting for me. The sea was so calm that waves hardly brushed the beach. We must have been in a cove or something for the water to be this calm. As I looked out I saw a light on the ocean. Far off. I was waiting to see it again, could have been a trick of the light teasing me. I was excited. Should I be? Thoughts had ran through my head about how I would be treated on the isle. If I was the girl that would save people from destruction and despair then I should be treated well. More than that, like a princess.
I did see it again and this time closer, I jumped up and shouted for Marin and Bel to wake up.
I ran closer to the water I could see the light now but it was still very far away. Marin and Bel were still asleep. I went into the tent and shook them. Marin took a lot to wake and when he did he was groggy. I couldn’t wake Bel and fear rose in me. She had gone very pale and was cool to the touch. She was still breathing but as much as I shook her she did not wake.
“MARIN” I shouted straight in his face. He started. “I can’t wake Bel.”
He got to his knees and leaned over her. He stumbled over Bel like he had forgotten where he was. He looked down at her and frowned. I knew this beach had done something to them. I had felt the queer feelings myself. My excitement for the journey in front of me had not let me succumb to it. Marin was just staring at her. I shook him again and slapped his face. I was angry at him all of a sudden like it was all his fault that I was here. All his fault that Bel would not wake up. He came to and grabbed my arms in a flurry of limbs. I was quickly dominated. He looked angry but then he noticed Bel underneath him. She still had not woken even with us fighting over the top of her.
“She is breathing.” His worried Expression did not help my concern for her.
“I saw a light on the water.” Marin did not even look up from Bel. “Do you think it is a boat come to collect us.”
“You” Marin mumbled the reply whilst lying Bel out on the floor and checking under her eye lids.
“What” I said. Just me on my own I don’t even know these people. I felt a bit isolated and worried. This could all be a trick. My mind raced.
“The boat will pick you up and take you to the isle.” Still he did not seem to notice the look on my face of shock. Did he not realise the impact this had on my life did he not realise what I had gone through to be here. Anger rose in me again and I smacked him in the face. It was a hearty punch that I did not think I could muster. I smiled as he went down but he seemed to bounce right off the ground and come back to me.
I broke down.
“What about you and Bel.” Tears where streaming down my face.
“We will try to get away.” Marin looked up at me. “Do not fret I will take good care of her.”
He went to the back of the tent where are flasks were. He had got Bel’s out and started to pour it into her mouth. He lifted her head so it rested on t his lap. The water just trickled out of her mouth and her lips where turning blue. I was crying uncontrollably. I took the flask from Marin and poured more in her mouth. I rubbed her throat like you do with a puppy. She swallowed and I held my breath. She took a large shuddering breath and opened her eyes. I burst lungs emptying with a wail of pure happiness.
“I had lovely dream.” Her voice barley carried it to our ears.
Suddenly there was a gallop of hooves and Shanin came screeched to a stop upon the grass. He was lathered and breathing really heavy. I could see blood dripping from his knees. His nostrils flared with panic, it was a terrible sight and I heard Bel scream. She started to run towards him.
Shanin raised his head and let out a scream of his own. He then turned and fled. Bel fell to the floor and screamed. “They Come.”
© Copyright 2011 Freddie (freddie131 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1752142-Spirit-Waliking---Beach