*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1752788-She-Said-Yes
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1752788
A short little scene for Kai, this was a writing exercise done in 2008.
Kai walked down the street on her way home from work, not feeling particularly attractive or likeable. She was on her way home from the diner, where she worked as an overnight waitress, and her co-workers had been teasing her again about her clothes. She wasn’t exactly the most fashion-conscious person, but having to buy an entire black and white wardrobe had really stretched the budget, and she had gotten most of her things at second hand stores or as hand me downs from Eiry or Nana.

So today, when the wash needed done, she was in a rather old-looking skirt, and a shirt that had been altered, but still didn’t fit her quite right. At least her shoes were new, and she smiled a little, looking at them.

She hadn’t gone far when she saw Furuhata-san coming out of the bank, and she thought of ducking under an awning so he didn’t see her. Furuhata-san was one of the other waiters, and was alright. He usually didn’t tease her, but she didn’t like running into him right now when she felt solow spirited. But then he waved, and it was too late.

“Ohaiyo, Sano-san,” he called, walking toward her with a nice smile. He was always so nice to everyone, and he was easy to read, and that was nice, too.

“Ohaiyo,” she said.

“Are you on your way home?”

“Yes. I...didn’t exactly feel like doing something else.”

“Are you feeling alright? You look kind of down.”

She looked down, not really wanting to say so. After all, they mostly all got along, and teasing was just teasing. But sometimes it hurt more than it should, and she didn’t wan’t to admit that. She knew she was sensitive, and he’d think she was hung up on appearances or something. “It’s nothing, don’t worry about it,” she said, trying to smile as she looked up at him. “Where are you headed?”

“Home. I think your place is kind of on the way, actually.”

“Oh, I suppose it is. Let’s walk together, then.”

They were familiar with each other, but didn’t know each other very well. So as they walked, they talked about light things like music and family and she learned he was a biology major with at the University of Tokyo.

“What do you plan to do after you graduate?”

“I’m not sure yet. I’d like to work at a zoo, or on an animal habitat or something like that, or maybe even become a veterinarian. What about you?”

“I’m just working, and helping Eiry with the shop.”

“That’s right, it’s a flower shop, isn’t it?”

“Yes, and she’s really good at it. She knows flower language too, it’s really interesting. I like flowers, though, so I guess it’s more interesting to me.”

He laughed a little, smiling. “I like flowers, too. But don’t tell the others I said that. I have an reputation to maintain, you know,” he said, which finally brought out a real smile from her, as they both knew it was a joke. “So, is Eiry your sister, or aunt or something?”

“No. My brother met her when he came to Tokyo, and…she’s kind of our landlady, but also a friend...it’s kind of complicated...”

“I live with my parents still, I guess it’s kind of mundane compared to that...”

The time seemed to pass quickly now, and soon they were in front of the shop.

“This is it,” she said. “That was quick, wasn’t it?”

“I guess it was. It looks nice from here, but it is kind of dark.”

“You should come by when it’s open if you want to look around. Are you working tomorrow?”

“Yeah, you are too?”

She nodded. “Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow, then.”

“See you tomorrow.”

She turned to go in the side door, searching for her keys in her purse.

“Sano-san—wait.”

“Hm?” She turned to look at him.

“Would you, uh...want to go for tea or coffee or something sometime?”

“Furuhata-san...” Everything she had told her self about not dating normal people suddenly didn’t matter, and she thought only that he was nice, and she liked him. And apparently, he liked her back. “Sure, I’d love too,” she said, smiling.
© Copyright 2011 firefly_1824 (firefly_1824 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1752788-She-Said-Yes