*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754272-I-Must-Tell-You-the-Truth
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1754272
The follow up to "She Said Yes," and also came from a writing exercise.
Kai looked worriedly at Furuhata-san from under her wide-brimmed hat as she ate her kakigori. They were walking along a waterway near the park, where there it was a bit cooler than most of the area in the hot season. He seemed preoccupied, watching the heat rise from the concrete on the other side of the waterway. But then he gave her a smile, and they walked on a little way. She thought back to their last shift together, two days ago. He’d walked her home, and then...well, that wasn’t the point, was it?

She glanced at him again, and opened her mouth to say something, then shut it again. She wasn’t exaclty sure what she was going to say.

“Are you alright, Kai?”

“I don’t know. I wanted to tell you something, but I’m not sure...how to say it.”

“Actually, I have something to talk to you about, as well.”

“Oh. I suppose that’s why we’re so quiet, then.”

“Ah, you’re right, of course. Would you like me to go first?” He asked considerately.

“No, I suppose I should.” She was quiet a minute, and he let her think. “I know that you like me, or you wouldn’t have asked me out, and I don’t want to hurt you, but...since last time, I’ve been thinking...”

“That you just want to be friends?” he finished when she trailed off, not nearly as sad as she thought he’d be, and she looked at him.

“Well, yes.” She was astonished when he couldn’t help but laugh.

“That’s what I was going to talk to you about!” he said, relieved. “I’ve been thinking too, and I know I liked you at first, and I don’t know what changed, but I just keep feeling that we should be friends.”

“And just friends,” she said, beginning to laugh as well at the situation. “Oh, I was so nervious! You must have been, too!”

“Yeah, I didn’t want to disappoint you, either.”

“Well, I’m so glad we both feel the same way. It could have turned out rather badly.”

“Yeah. So, I’d still love to hang out with you and stuff, but without all the romantic stuff, cause I think we could be really great friends. Is that okay?”

“Aki, that's perfect!”
© Copyright 2011 firefly_1824 (firefly_1824 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754272-I-Must-Tell-You-the-Truth