*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758534-Morgansville
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fanfiction · #1758534
This contest was based on the Morgansville books which I had never read lol
So this was it? Morgansville, town of the vampires? Right. It looked like any other small town in the middle of nowhere. The bright sunlight streamed down the wide road and each house was surrounded by a perfectly manicured lawn and big shady trees. Ooohhhh real scary.
Morgansville was a quiet little town where humans and vampires coexisted. My parents had told me all about it before they had died. After my parents death I had gone to live with my uncle and his wife but due to recent financial problems they could no longer afford to send me to school. My great grandmother had contacted us and offered to send me to school here in Morgansville, so here I was going to meet a person I had never even meet before in a town I had never visited before.
The taxi pulled up in front of the huge house where I was going to be staying. It was called the Day house and it was reserved only for the humans. I was desperate to meet a real vampire, not that I would be able to do that until I was protected. A protected human would not be attacked by the vampires and were identified by a special bracelet. I had no idea what I would have to do to become protected, I figured that the humans who were protected must have to do something to earn it or maybe buy it. I wasn’t sure but if it was a simple thing then everyone would be protected and the vampires would have no food source right? I wasn’t too concerned about it right now; I would learn everything I needed to know soon enough. I unloaded my bags and knocked on the door to my new home

Round 1


The first few days at the house were fairly standard, I was introduced to a few of the other girls and Mrs. Day and we were taught the few rules of the day house. 1, no going out of the house at night ever, no exceptions. 2, No vampires are to set foot inside the day house, no exceptions. 3, everyone is to be back at the house by six o’clock except by special arrangement, no exceptions. 4, all rules are to be abided by, no exceptions. I still hadn’t meet any Vampires and I got the distinct feeling Mrs. Day wasn’t exactly a vamp activist. She seemed to warm to the others in the house well enough but some reason she tended to avoid me for the most part, this suited me just fine. I had been assigned my own room and after a few nights work I had managed to get the window open and tonight I had finally escaped. I had already learnt about the whole protection thing from Mrs. Day, my assumptions had been correct any human who wanted to be protected had to pay a blood tax. One a week the protected gave blood to their protector and as a payment they were given a bracelet to say they were off limits to any other vamps.
It seemed fair to me, I mean if you choose to live in a town full of vampires you had to expect something like that. Many of the people who sought protection ultimately wanted to be vampires; I hadn’t given it much thought myself I liked being human but maybe life as a vampire had something more to offer.
I wanted to get a protector and since I could gather no information from Mrs. Day I figured I go to them.
I had been into the town a few times before and had already spotted one of the local nightspots called Tasty. I was dressed in a cute little outfit suited to the clubs and I had made myself up to look older. I was determined to become friends with a hot vampire guy and maybe become his protected. I smiled to myself; there was something almost intoxicating about sneaking around at night like this. I reach the center of town and made my way past the milling crowd being careful to hide my naked wrist from sight. There were many people standing around outside of Tasty protected humans and vampires alike. I approached the door and was just about to walk through the door when a large man stepped in front of me.
‘I need to see your bracelet miss’ he said in a voice as smooth as butter cream. I gasped inwardly, this was the first vampire I had been near, I cast my eyes down not wanting to stare at him so obviously. Before I had time to answer he grabbed my wrist exposing my lack of a bracelet. He grinned at me in a way that made my heart beat faster, ‘unprotected are not welcome’ he said quietly, ‘it’s not safe’.
I pulled my wrist away and held it out of sight; I turned and walked briskly away. I had made a terrible mistake coming here, surrounded by vampires with nothing to protect myself with. Stupid stupid stupid. I felt the wind rush from my lungs as something large and hard slammed into me and push me into the nearby wall. I looked up into the serene beautiful face of a vampire, he held my hands above my head and was leaning against me pinning me to the wall. He stared deep into my eyes and I felt all my worries slipping away, a profound calm overcame me and I was vaguely aware that he was glamorizing me. I watched without feeling anything as he opened his mouth and bared his fangs. This is it; I thought unemotionally, I’m going to die. I closed my eyes and waited for his sharp fangs to sink into my neck. Suddenly a rush of wind came and a wave of pure terror over swept me, a female vampire had tackled him off me and the two of them were hissing and bearing their teeth at one another. The glamor broken I was truly paralyzed with fear, what was going on? I knew I should run but before my feel could obey the female vampire was in front of me and slipped something onto my wrist, ‘she is protected’ she said to the male. He hissed in disgust at her as he jumped onto the roof and disappeared. I looked down at my wrist in confusion; a small bracelet had been placed there, she had just made me her protected. I looked into the face of the vampire; she was beautiful in the extreme, long black hair, perfect body she looked to be about nineteen or twenty. The typical female vampire, though her features were screwed up in a scowl at the moment ‘Ashalia! What are you doing out here?’ she demanded, I stuttered confused she knew who I was? ‘Why aren’t you at the day house?’
‘I,I........Who are you?’ I finally managed to get out. She sighed and rolled her eyes ‘I'm your great grandmother

Round2

My head reeled in shock, my grandmother was a vampire? 'how is that possible' I asked in confusion she gave me a blank look, 'I'm sure I don't have to explain the birds and bees to someone your age' she said with a smirk. How could this girl be my great grandmother? I went to ask again but she cut me off with a gesture 'Not now Ashalia, ill take you back to my house since Mrs Day obviously cant control you herself. Come” she took my hand 'my name is Elizabeth by the way'.

A short time later we arrived at my great Grandmother Elizabeth's house, well I use the term house loosely it was more like a mansion. The wide front doors opened as we approached, creepy I thought.
'Victoria' she said addressing the person who had opened the door for us 'ask cook to prepare some refreshments in the night room' she said. I was taken to a big room with a huge fire burning in the hearth and an assortment of seating scattered about. I sat down on a fur covered divan close to fire and my great grandmother sat across from me in a high backed lounge chair looking every inch the bride of dracular. I was staring at her I realized as a tray was brought in and she took a long sip of a dark red liquid. I started as I realized it was blood, she must have noticed my reaction 'sorry' she said putting the glass down 'I forgot you have never meet a vampire before, you must have many questions. Firstly let me welcome you to my home, and I shall explain to you how this came to be' she gestured at herself ' I was almost twenty years old when I gave birth to your grandmother, I caused quite a scandal actually as I was unwed at the time. I refused to reveal the name of the father and I was outcast from society as a result. Your great great grandfather was the most handsome man I had ever seen and we fell in love almost immediately but our love was to be short lived. He diapered you see and no one had any idea where he had gone, least of all me. Only a few short weeks after his disappearance I discovered I was with child, I was sent to live in a nunnery for the term of my pregnancy and I was miserable. As the child within me grew and grew I frequently suffered from ill health and I began to imagine I could hear my lovers voice in the dead of night and even dreamed I could see his face watching over me. I was very ill by the time i was due to bring my baby into the world. I remember that day as though it were through a haze, I remember pain and heat and then the strong wail of my baby, then darkness slipped over me and I fell into silence. The burning pain that followed cannot be put effectively into words I could hear screaming and my baby crying, then suddenly I felt myself picked up and cold air blowing around me. By the time I was laid in bed again the burning had stopped and I could open my eyes. Standing their holding our daughter was my long lost lover Gregory holding our sleeping baby in his arms.' she paused and took a deep breath 'I cannot explain to you how happy I was in that instance. I leapt out of bed and was shocked, I felt no weakness in my body, I was alive and burning with energy Gregory place our child in the bassinet and embraced me, he kept apologizing for what he had done but he said he had no other choice. I thought he meant leaving me until I looked at him properly, pale cold skin, the slightest touch of blue in his lips, the two pale fangs that dimpled his bottom lip. I screamed in fright and tried to escape from him, he released me and I turned to see a beautiful woman standing behind me with terror in her eyes, she too had the pale skin and blue tinted lips 'vampire' I whispered and to my utter shock and horror the womans lips formed the same words. I realized it was no woman I was staring at but my own reflection. Gregory then explained he had been made vampire and had fled to this castle for fear of harming me, but when he realized I was carrying his child he watched over me from a distance, not daring to come and reveal himself for fear of losing the baby. He was watching that night our child was born and saw that I was about to die, he changed me to be like him knowing it was the only way for me to survive.' she stopped and smiled almost to herself 'Gregory and I raised our human child as best we could and when she was old enough to keep our secret we moved to a small town where she grew up and married a wonderful boy, your grandfather, the rest as they say is history.'
'You didn't change her?' I asked 'why?'
A brief moment of sorrow passed over her face, 'this life is not suited to everyone my dear, your grandmother knew she wanted a full human life even though it would mean her eventual death the choice was hers to make and I'm glad she did, though we cannot have anymore children of our own Gregory and I have delighted in seeing each new generation of our human family grow and prosper'
She took up the glass of blood again and sipped it, 'For some the sacrifices of immortality are to great'
'How come I never knew about you?' I asked taking a cup for myself, I was relived to find tea in my cup. 'It is a family secret that is only entrusted when you come of age, you are now part of our secret.'
'What about this?' I asked putting my wrist forward ' Does this mean you can feed off me whenever you like?' Elizabeth burst out in laughter 'my dear no, not at all' she continued to laugh 'nothing as barbaric as all that' the laughter eventually stopped 'once a week I will take you to the doctors where some blood will be taken from you while you are under my glamor, you will not really remember anything about it, its a simple procedure that benefits all the vampires who call this town home. You donate your blood so that we might feed without harming anyone and you are off limits to all vampires . Of course there are a few who refuse to donate but it is somewhat rare.' she glanced at the clock 'you must go to bed now Ashalia, its far to late. Tomorrow you shall meet your great grandfather and some of our friends, as I'm throwing a grand ball in your honor. Now off to bed with you' a maid suddenly appeared and led me to my rooms. As I fell asleep one though suddenly came into my mind, I was home.
© Copyright 2011 Natbutterflyblue (missblue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758534-Morgansville